Hay Baled

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
About to get hay pasture fertilized and get pesticide put on it fertilizer guy told me should be able to get baled around June 15-20 acres. What do hay balers typically charge to bale by the bale per acre I'm curious. Cause I have neighbor that's gonna lease me there place as well with about 20-25 acres and it'll be ready by end of May to bale.

Too many unanswered questions. What size bale? Round or square? Are you cutting and raking? If round bales twine wrap or net wrap? Doubt anyone would bale by the acre.

kenny thomas said:
Too many unanswered questions. What size bale? Round or square? Are you cutting and raking? If round bales twine wrap or net wrap? Doubt anyone would bale by the acre.

4x5 round bales older farmer down my road bales for a living gonna ask him and net wrap his. But what's normally fair price or what people normally charge per bail ?

5S Cattle said:
Round here it's 35/bale for 5x5 net wrapped
35 dollars a bale to get baled or that's what there selling for I'm in Winnsboro Tx east Tx I'm trying to see what's good prices people charge to rake and bale the hay

You can get good service, fast service and cheap service but you rarely will find all three in the same place.

gcreekrch said:
You can get good service, fast service and cheap service but you rarely will find all three in the same place.

When I was in another line of work I used to tell people they could have any two of the three options.

Silver said:
gcreekrch said:

When I was in another line of work I used to tell people they could have any two of the three options.

With hay you'll be darn lucky to find someone who can or will do what they say. And if it's a good hay season forget it, they'll be behind.

Silver, I use that line very frequently.

I pay $18/bale to have 4x6 bales cut, raked, and net wrapped. (I also have fields that average 4 bales/acre per cutting. In sorry hay I would expect to pay more) Only way I could ever justify owning my own equipment would be to have it done exactly when I wanted it done.

True Grit Farms said:
Silver said:
gcreekrch said:

With hay you'll be darn lucky to find someone who can or will do what they say. And if it's a good hay season forget it, they'll be behind.

Exactly the reason I bought my own equipment early on. Other thing is they did minimum prep and max let it top out and mature good (to get a better yield) and cut it one day and that was it till a week later with 1 rake trip and the baler.

I think at today's selling prices, if sold late in the season where big bales brought $100, $35 for the complete baling function with a tight (heavy) 5x5-5x6 net wrap would be a deal.....figuring a 1600# roll of hay, 4x5s or 5x4s $25 with net wrap a plus since it resists weathering much better.

I'm in East Tx and it's generally around $28 cut, raked, and baled in net wrap. If the fields make less than a bale and a half to the acre prices may go up a little. I'd be more concerned about finding someone to cut 20 acres if it's something that needs cut on a deadline. Hopefully you can find someone baling in the area.

Lucky said:
I'm in East Tx and it's generally around $28 cut, raked, and baled in net wrap. If the fields make less than a bale and a half to the acre prices may go up a little. I'd be more concerned about finding someone to cut 20 acres if it's something that needs cut on a deadline. Hopefully you can find someone baling in the area.I'm hoping for a good cutting hopefully June

Bfields30 said:
5S Cattle said:
Round here it's 35/bale for 5x5 net wrapped
35 dollars a bale to get baled or that's what there selling for I'm in Winnsboro Tx east Tx I'm trying to see what's good prices people charge to rake and bale the hay
$35 to cut,rake, and bale it

Bfields30 said:
I was gonna sell whatever the first cutting gave me and keep whatever the second cutting brought.

I wouldn't. You may not get a second. I have learned to never sell anything until you have what you need. You can always sell it later in the year.

bird dog said:
Bfields30 said:
I was gonna sell whatever the first cutting gave me and keep whatever the second cutting brought.

I wouldn't. You may not get a second. I have learned to never sell anything until you have what you need. You can always sell it later in the year.

I was thinking the same. Roll of the dice for sure, but helps with cash flow for some.

It is a roll of the dice, what about this business isn't? I lost a hay crop waiting on a custom baler, been a custom baler. Sold hay when I should have kept it , kept hay when I should have sold it. No rest for the wicked and the righteous don't need any, just not sure which category I"m in.

So you shouldn't expect to pay over 1/2 cost of what bales normally sell for to get it cut and wrapped, if you are providing the field, right? I have someone who has offered to bale my fields and give me every 3rd bale, which sounds to me like a really great deal for him, but a clock-cleaning for me.

Latest posts