Hay Baled

Help Support CattleToday:

At least you know how big it is now. That would have been an expensive mistake ordering fertilizer for 20 acres and only needing 10

Google maps planimeter on a computer or field area measure app on smartphone and you can measure a fields size precisely, no guessing involved.

Plenty of customers call me with a 60 acre field to bale, I look them up and it'll be 16 acres, lol.

chevytaHOE5674 said:
Google maps planimeter on a computer or field area measure app on smartphone and you can measure a fields size precisely, no guessing involved.

Plenty of customers call me with a 60 acre field to bale, I look them up and it'll be 16 acres, lol.

Another good resource is your county tax assessor website. All the ones I have been on have very good measuring tools for figuring acreage in them also. Plus the flood maps will give you a good heads up on possible wet spots.

Tax accessor website....? What's that? Lol. My county still has paper maps for everything it'll be a long while before they go digital.

On my phone I use fields area measure app. It's free and simple to use.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bfields30 said:
Got 34 bales as of now one bull 12 mommas 8 calfs how much more hay will I need? Trying to have extra.

In our climate we feed about 6 4x5 rolls per head over the winter. I'd think in your environment you will feed less than that. Maybe 3-4 rolls?
how do you calculate for the calfs ?

Thats enough if you have any kind of winter grazing. I can get by on two per cow per year but I scratch in some oats and while I have calves, they will be young fall borns. Saying that if you have a barn to keep some in, this is probably a good year to put some up for a reserve even if you have to buy it. My reserve was almost empty so I made about 75 extra.

Bfields30 said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bfields30 said:
Got 34 bales as of now one bull 12 mommas 8 calfs how much more hay will I need? Trying to have extra.

In our climate we feed about 6 4x5 rolls per head over the winter. I'd think in your environment you will feed less than that. Maybe 3-4 rolls?

Allocate half as much for them.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bfields30 said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

Allocate half as much for them.
most of them will be weaned I was thinking a good amount of square bales and feeding them those.

Latest posts