Hauling weight on a 3 point

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I have a "trailer mover" 3 pt set up, simply a 3 pt system I can plug a stinger into, back up to a trailer, pick it up and move it. I was thinking about moving loaded hay trailers with it, 3 tons or so on a trailer. I was told that I should not pull that much weight on a 3 pt., it really makes no sense to me, I would think a plow or such pulls as much or more weight. Can I haul weight on my three pt.? I have a kubota L4400, I'll give specs if needed.

Thanks, Alan

Alan, your tractor is rated to lift some where around 2500 lbs at the threee point. To me, this is kind of like 'tongue weight". In your case, you will be pulling 3 tons, dispersed over the surface of a trailer, plus the weight of the trailer itself. This should be no problem. To be on the safe side, I would worry more about the front end of your tractor popping up, given the load on the rear. Do you have a front-end loader attached or weights for the front end? Take care of that issue and your good to go.

I can't think why someone would tell you that. Pulling loaded hay trailers is just part of the small square haying process, plus a running baler. You may be pulling a bit more weight, but the 3pt system is designed to pull. I'm not sure the weight of your tractor, but I'd try to avoid hills if possible. That sort of weight will push a light tractor.

Thanks for the replies, I do have a front loader. This was told to me by someone who should have known what he was talking about, but it just didn't add up in my mind.

Alan

The only thing that comes to mind is he thinks it would sway back and forth witch if it is adjusted it won't . A fixed hitch you can't move up and down is harder to hitch.

Bumper hitch or gooseneck? A gooseneck might put more weight on tractor, resulting in a "light" front end, but loader will help that out. Depending on position of 3 poit when in transport, swaying could be issue, unless you can adjust or limit sway blocks.

We pull a 32 ft gooseneck with 19 round bales on it with a 3 pt hitch set up, on a little 3010 JD. The trailer is set up so has very little tough or hitch weight.

Hauling unmovable weights from the bottom two arms only, can be catastrophic if the arms are above the horizontal. Adding the top link transfers weight forward again pushing the front of the tractor down when driving forward. The other factor is just the weight on the drawbar wanting to lift the frontend a bit, it would be very doubtfull if this would excede the rated implement capacity of the tractor with a 3 ton trailer.
In your situation Alan with a proper 3 point trailer hitch, I would think that you would be able to haul safely what ever your clutch and traction would enable you to move.
Ken

I have always been very leary of pulling a gooseneck with the three point hitch. I pull my cow trailer around with mine every once in a blue moon. I wouldnt chance it with out the front end loader. Mine actually has the down pressure on the draw bar. The mennonites around here hook the trailer to a dolly, that is then hooked to the drawbar.

When pulling a gooseneck with side to side play, watch out for uneven areas expecially in curves downhill. The sudden sideshift can be nasty.

We have a forklift attachment hooked to the 3 point on the shops tractor. Every trailer that we build is pulled this way. Never had any problems.

3pt hitch is for lifting or draft pulling not towing, if the trailer overruns the liftarms will raise and the load will push up and forward, potential for catastrophic injury right there.

robert":1ae8ffj6 said:
3pt hitch is for lifting or draft pulling not towing, if the trailer overruns the liftarms will raise and the load will push up and forward, potential for catastrophic injury right there.

That makes sense, probably what the guy I spoke with was talking about, like I stated he was type of guy who should know. thanks for all the replies and all the food for thought.

Alan

a 3pt trailer hitch mover can be dangerious.i had a buddy that thought nothing of hooking his 32ft gooseneck flatbed or gooseneck cattle trailer to his tractor.an they almost payed for it a few times.by having the gooseneck pop the tractor up an almost crush them as they was driving the tractor.its better to get a 2 wheel dolly with gooseneck hitch an pull trailers that way its alot safer.

The two wheeled dolly would be the safest way to go. Given the placement of the bales, and the dimensions of the trailer and axle placement, I can calculate your tongue weight if you really want to know what it is. Typically, tongues to my knowledge are designed to run around 14% the over all weight of the trailer to tow correctly. Take an old 1-ton truck, cut the axle out from under it, and hook your new "dolly" to the draw bar. $.02

To avoid side ways movement of the lower links they need to be stabilized, this was done on small fergies with metal to points on the rear axle, or it can be done back to the top link mount on the tractor.

I would think that the biggest problem would be tipping the tractor backwards if the trailer got stuck, though this would be minimized with a goose neck trailer.

1wlimo":2u09b7hg said:
To avoid side ways movement of the lower links they need to be stabilized, this was done on small fergies with metal to points on the rear axle, or it can be done back to the top link mount on the tractor.

the original fergies had a bar drawbar that fastened to the lower links combine with solid stabilizer bars that went to each side to stop sideways movement and solid stabilizer arms to the toplink hitch to prevent the drawbar being pushed up and over. In fact if I remember correctly there was a double hitch point for the drawbar stabilizer just below the toplink hitch point that was part of the rearend casting with an ingenious hinged pin to secure those stabilizers. Harry Ferguson was a man way ahead of his time!

Latest posts