Hardware desease, Mag def, or ?

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj

Reaction score
Ok so I have a 7 year old cow with a 6 week old calf on her side. They were put out on pasture 3 weeks ago with the other pairs. I noticed this week she was losing weight dramatically. We pulled her from the field 3 days ago and called the vet. In the mean time I put a magnet in her and started penicillin. The vet said it sounds like a mag deficiency since she was just put out on pasture. We put her in the chute two days ago and gave her Muse and b complex. We drew blood today and sent it out. She eats grain and drinks a ton but only nibbles at hay. She is salivating a lot and she is practically peeing out her ass it is so watery. I think its like that since she isnt eating any hay. She isnt huanched or grunting like hardware so i dont know if its that but thats all I thought of at first. She is standing but walks slowly. Any thoughts on pulling the calf or remedies to get her up and going. Thanks Mike.

shadyhollownj":1po6ufk4 said:
Ok so I have a 7 year old cow with a 6 week old calf on her side. They were put out on pasture 3 weeks ago with the other pairs. I noticed this week she was losing weight dramatically. We pulled her from the field 3 days ago and called the vet. In the mean time I put a magnet in her and started penicillin. The vet said it sounds like a mag deficiency since she was just put out on pasture. We put her in the chute two days ago and gave her Muse and b complex. We drew blood today and sent it out. She eats grain and drinks a ton but only nibbles at hay. She is salivating a lot and she is practically peeing out her ass it is so watery. I think its like that since she isnt eating any hay. She isnt huanched or grunting like hardware so i dont know if its that but thats all I thought of at first. She is standing but walks slowly. Any thoughts on pulling the calf or remedies to get her up and going. Thanks Mike.

Get your vet to do a Johne's fecal test on her at the very least an Elisa blood test .

Mag deficiency doesn't cause those symptoms. Have you supplemented her with mag? Overdosing with mg will cause scours, though doesn't harm them otherwise...
Could well be Johne's. If the scour is almost like water it's not likely to be caused by spring grass. If you gave her magnesium and then saw the scours it should stop in about a day.

A time back I had a cow slaughted that was loosing weight, had very watery feaces and was off hay as well, she didn't show signs of pain as if it were wire. It was found she had a ball of bailing twine causing a blockage in her rumen so liquid could escape but nothing much else.

I have read about johnes but it seems like it takes a lot longer than two weeks to develop these symptoms. The blood is away so we will see what comes back. She doesnt have the runs as bad today. I assume the shot of Muse made it so watery. We gave the recommended dose of Muse 5cc. She still has real loose stool like they do from fresh grass but its not clear and watery. She is still eating grain and a little hay and isnt down so we will see.

Ok so vet called today with blood and stool results. No johnes, no low white cell count from infection from hardware and nothing else. The only thing that was not in the norm was low glucose. He said it may be some type of ketosis but really isnt sure what it is. He said give her 10cc of dex to see if that helps bring it back up.

Sorry for the late response. She is doing ok still didnt put all the weight back on but I think it was the ketosis of some sort. A few days after the dex she was eating and drinking like normal.

Latest posts