Handling Facilities

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":yudvzw9g said:
Just don't forget that it's still a gate, one of the most dangerous things on a farm and you have to manually close it. A nut can always hit it, knock you and the gate open, and leave you on your back.

Amen on that I had an old tiger girl hit a gate one time and knocked me out like in the movies.

IluvABbeef":3rvqroqy said:
TexasBred":3rvqroqy said:
Just don't forget that it's still a gate, one of the most dangerous things on a farm and you have to manually close it. A nut can always hit it, knock you and the gate open, and leave you on your back.
#1 reason why I loathe chains on gates. Too much time messing around with them!

I use sure latch. It's really fast to use and offers vertical support that can support the weight of a cow that tries to jump the gate.

Caustic Burno":19vskw8x said:
I guess I am the odd man out here, my working pen is a combination of both.
I can work them box or sweep.

I have options too. This medina gate and release is simply another one.

My portable unit sweeps and has a medina going in to the chute on one side of the box.

I use slotted plate steel to latch the chains and it works fast and simple.

shaz":3oknxtaw said:
IluvABbeef":3oknxtaw said:
TexasBred":3oknxtaw said:
#1 reason why I loathe chains on gates. Too much time messing around with them!

I use sure latch. It's really fast to use and offers vertical support that can support the weight of a cow that tries to jump the gate.
Not talking about jumping out. Just throwing her head or ass into the gate when she sees your "manually" closing it" and. Hard for a 200 lb. man to hold back 1200-1400 lbs. of beef with his two scrawney arms pushing on a gate. I've seen people knocked 6 feet, teeth knocked out and heads cut as quick as a hiccup. All you're left to say is WTF. If you've never been hurt by a gate you've either been lucky or it's just not yet your turn. :lol2:

My pen you can cut them into three different boxes from there to two lots or back to the pasture.
If you sweep them down the chute you can cut back into the pen into the boxes again or out to a lot or back to the pasture.
If one blows the head gate he is still in the lot and just work him back around.
It is designed where you can pull a trailer though like the salebarn off load to the
lot's or the pen.

I use a bud box type design, no plans needed just severalk panles and a couple gates one big one small. It does work better with our yearling steers and calves than with our older tame cows who have a small or absent flight zones.
With the cows I have to herd them through, with everyone else, I can use the one man technique seen in you tube.
I dont think this works as well as a tub, but its a whole lot cheeper!

We have one of each. The Bud Box is just a few panels. I wouldn't pay $6000 for either type, but crowding tubs aren't cheap either. When we redo our pens, we'll use the Bud Box. It's much cheaper and probably works about the same. The key to either is good slide gates or no back devices.

Latest posts