Handgun Question

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
I'm going to be taking the concealed handgun training class next week, and wanted some suggestions as to what type of handgun to use for the training?

One that you are comfortable shooting. ;-)

Check the courses. I can't remember how it is but if you get certified with a revolver you can carry a semi auto or something. There is one that if you get certified with that will cover all of them.

Maybe some one here knows off the top of their head but I will look for it aslo.

Good Luck.

A Colt Automatic 9 mm. is a pretty good plunking gun. its not too big and its big enough to keep a ENEMY(what ever it may be) at bay. :lol: it doesnt kick up very hard and its a pretty popular gun.

I believe it is recommended that a female starting out go with a double action revolver. They also say the weapon will most likely be taken from them and used against them.

Go with a .32 revolver of maybe a .380 auto. I got my wife PPK/s 17 years ago and trained her to shoot it as well as my 9mm and .45 auto. We also practiced with the shotguns.

We still practice. It is important.

Part of the training was if someone is beating down the door use the shotgun or what ever is available before they get in. A woman can get away with it.

Good luck and be mindful of the fact that if you point it when the time is need ... pull the trigger.

I believe that if you qualify with an automatic you can carry any gun including a revolver, but if you qualify with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver. The smallest caliber you can qualify with is a .38. I did mine with a 9mm, but my concealed gun is a .38. I can shoot deadly with either one and so can my girlfriend. The reason I conceal the .38 vs. the 9mm is because I'm a thin guy and you can see when I carry the 9. You can't tell when I've got the .38.

My advice is to use what you're comfortable with. I think someone already said that. Good luck.

If you learn to shoot it and are comfortable with it are the two most imprtant criteria.

as some one else said Practice.

The ability to hit what you aim at with the first shot is the most important thing. the shot gun idea is not bad but my wife is not comfortable with a shotgun. It is too much for her. with her little 38 revolver she will take on anything. she would shoot a lot quicker than I would too.

A whole lot of fire power that is just making noise is not going to save your life. real bad men are not scairt of noise.

Recall that when i was a kid my daddy got me my first gun. It was a little single shot 410 shotgun. Of course I was overjoyed but lamented that it didn't have more rounds.

Dad gave me two real good pieces of advice.

The first was when you learn how to shoot, then we will get you bigger and better guns.

The second was when you learn how to ride, then we will get you a saddle.

When I had the shop I would ask the people that wanted to buy a gun for protection the following question:
Are you prepared to kill, to take a life? It's was interesting to see how many people had never looked at it that way before.
The all used euphemism for killing, i.e. drop the hammer, wing them, drop them, put them down, etc. but never the actual term kill. They also had the mindset that they could "just woiund" them and that would resolve the issue.
The term is kill! If you aren;t mentally prepared, even some cops aren;t, you aren;t ready for a self defense firearm.

dun (ex Valley Shooter Supply)

Bull Lady, try this link...
http://64.29.201.168/forum/index.php?showtopic=716

I'm not against the concealed carry. I guess I just don't think I have a need to carry a pistol with me. The gun rack in the pick up holds a rifle.
Hubby is thinking about going thru the course so he has one with him in the semi. Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland, Baltimore, Indy...

I have not done the research on the laws in other states. Would they honor a conceal carry permit from ohio?

The only reason I can think of me wanting a pistol...This was passed this year - Concealed-carry permit holders may carry a concealed handgun while hunting deer, wild turkey, and all other game after September 1. However, wild animals cannot be hunted with a concealed-carry licensed handgun.
I'm a big chicken in the woods walking in and out at dark during bow season. Gun season is not a problem, but bow season I don't feel "safe".

Everyone can talk big, promising they will pull the trigger if the need arises. I've been in situations that I thought I could handle, in my minds eye I could. But when I was faced with it...circumstances were different and I faltered. I'm not sure I could take another person's life, even a dirt bag. I just don't know.

A good quality (think colt , Ruger, etc) double action 38 special has a lot going for it for somebody who isnt really going to do a whole lot of training. Example if your not a gun nut like I used to be and if you dont train everyday.
As far as something smaller like a 380 or 25 auto. Well if your going to carry something that small dont even bother.
You know a short double barrel shotgun in 20 gauge has a lot of merrit.
I wouldnt recomend an auto.
Glad your taking some type of training course.
Like the other guy said. Make sure you are prepared to actually shoot somebody. If your thinking of just havingthe gun for a bluff if the need arises well I dont think that will work out very good.

ERodrig is correct. "If you qualify with an automatic you can carry any gun including a revolver, but if you qualify with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver." My suggestion would be to qualify with a 9mm automatic to keep your future options open. I qualified with an auto, but carry a revolver.

The places I have been to will loan you a gun to qualify with (you pay for the 50 rnds ammo). If you are uncomfortable with the auto it may be worthwhile to visit the shop your are planning to take your class from ahead of time and borrow a 9mm auto to shoot a box of ammo. But honestly, you do not have to be a good shot to qualify.

Good Luck!

In Texas when you apply for and qualify for a CHL, it is a good idea to qualify with a Semi-Automatic: It also covers a revolver.

IMO anything smaller than .38 is a waste of money and a false sense of security. Go with a S-A 9mm or .40 at minimum. A quality S-A is going to set you back $500 to $800: Glock, S&W, Beretta, Sig, H&K, Para-Ordnance, etc. Quality = reliability: You want a reliable handgun + quality ammo. The cheaper ammo is good for practice. Select "personal defense" ammo (higher priced) for concealed carry (or at arms length otherwise).

According to CHL (and national statistics), to stop a threat (perceived relative to your defense ability) one needs to aim for the largest part of a target. Chances of hitting a "non-vital" part in a confrontation is next to nill (due to stress of the situation).

Also, a very aggressive threat (even with one bullet in him/her) can move up to 21 feet toward you in about 3 seconds!

CHL licensure training teaches one to discharge 2 or 3 shots at the target in as many seconds. And, anything smaller than 9 mm (unless it hits a vital area) is only going to make the perpetrator MAD!

Practice, practice, practice! Standing, squating, prone, behind cover, etc. Suggest at least 500 quality practice rounds to "begin" to become proficient.

If a perpetrator appears to start firing at one, quickly move laterally as well as increase your distance. With lateral moves, the aggressor has to re-acquire the target (you)...a moving target is hard to hit. Most criminals are poor shots. Even law enforcement personnel don't always complete a vital hit with the first shot (national statistics).

Final comment: When you perceive a life-threating threat, your job as a law-abiding citizen is to avoid a confrontation. If this now possible, then the objective is to stop the threat...not make it madder (aka a "wounded animal").

Texas Laws are on the side of the law-abiding citizen for protection of life, property.

Caveat: If one is not mentally ready to point, pull the trigger, then you are best advised to avoid guns and threats.

Some other thoughts:

Law enforcement (local, state, and national) and the military are pretty much using 9 mm and .40 semi-automatics. This is obviously in self-defense of criminals using S-A weapons. A 5 or 6 shoot revolver is at a disadvantage as well as harder trigger pull for each shot.

While I have a Beretta 96 (.40) that is full frame size and a touch heavy, it is very reliable. It also has very little kick with the recommended 2 hand stance. Even with one hand, it has minimal kick. I once shot a few rounds with a H&K .45: the kick was no more than my .40 Beretta.

There are any number of "quality" S-A's available in compact size that carry a full clip with reduced weight, including some with polymer frames. These smaller framed pieces are more suited for concealed carry and easier to fit into a woman's handbag. However, lighter weights, smaller size, increases potential "kick" but is still quite manageable.

The bottom-line is what you and your hand are comfortable with. Try different ones for a "fit" in your hand.

There are also some state-of-the-art "frangible" ammo out there that is not restricted for law-enforcement use only. These rounds get the job done while at the same time significantly reduce one's chances of penetrating walls and/or inflicting collateral damage.

According to self-defense statistics and reports, most life-threatening confrontations will probably occur under 21 feet, at times under 10 feet! For self-defense, one needs instant "stopping power" at these close ranges.

Practice, practice, practice. And,

never "carry" a handgun "cocked and locked" in the holster since this can be very dangerous. When the "red flag is up", acquire your piece, cock, point in a safe "ready" direction with finger ready to contact the trigger, but not actually on the trigger until ready to fire.

JMHO's...

I would qualify with a semi auto that you intend to carry. As has been said if later you wish to switch to a wheel gun you can. Think about this though,you see very very few law enforcement people carry wheel guns anymore. Why,because if you intend to stop a threat you will need firepower and in my opinion six shots just don't cut it anymore. I agree with, if you don't think you can KILL a person don't even think about concealed carry or you will possibly lose YOUR life when you hesitate taking another. Good luck to you,in your line of work you should carry. ;-) ps While carrying locked and loaded can be unsafe I would hate to lose valuable seconds cocking my piece. A quality D/A auto will not discharge when locked and loaded.

You will get all sorts of advice on various makes models and calibres, capabilities and such - ignore it all until you have gone to a range several times, taken several lessons designed for women - possibly even taught by women and used several different types of firearms.

Then and only then can you make the very personal and informed decision as to what you are comfortable with and what you want to carry.

Bez>

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1hcym7hi said:
I would qualify with a semi auto that you intend to carry. As has been said if later you wish to switch to a wheel gun you can. Think about this though,you see very very few law enforcement people carry wheel guns anymore. Why,because if you intend to stop a threat you will need firepower and in my opinion six shots just don't cut it anymore. I agree with, if you don't think you can KILL a person don't even think about concealed carry or you will possibly lose YOUR life when you hesitate taking another. Good luck to you,in your line of work you should carry. ;-) ps While carrying locked and loaded can be unsafe I would hate to lose valuable seconds cocking my piece. A quality D/A auto will not discharge when locked and loaded.

I couldn't agree more! Learn from the practices of Law Enforcement Personnel...

We're talking about split-second decisions here. Have the brain engaged and on the right track before carrying. If one has to think about pulling a trigger once a life-threating threat is encountered, it is often too late. Deal with the "yes/no" decisions beforehand.

And...another issue... If someone is already pointing a gun at you, unless you "do a dance" to disorient their aim, you probably won't be quick enough to draw & fire before you get it... unless, of course, they are seriously stressed out and aim badly... If, however, they point an automatic "terrorist weapon" at you...well, hope your affiars are already in order...

The S-A ,1911 colt is an excellent pistol for someone who trains a lot but most women would have trouble racking the slide.
Cocked and locked probable isnt a good idea for her.
The trouble with D-A pistols are the double column magazine is a handfull for women.
Plus your going from a heavy double action pull on the first shot to a light single action pull on the next shot. Yes she could cock it and use as a S-A but it will be more clumbsy with the pistol as compared to a revolver. Plus most of those DA pistols have all these stupid crappy safetys on them.
Im thinking under stress a D-A revolver is pretty fool proof. If she cant get it done with 6 shots im thinking it aint going to get done period.
A revolver is just more simple, easier to use, easier to shoot for someone who isnt going to be shooting a lot.

Running Arrow Bill":2rzas3w9 said:
Some other thoughts:

Law enforcement (local, state, and national) and the military are pretty much using 9 mm and .40 semi-automatics. This is obviously in self-defense of criminals using S-A weapons. A 5 or 6 shoot revolver is at a disadvantage as well as harder trigger pull for each shot.

While I have a Beretta 96 (.40) that is full frame size and a touch heavy, it is very reliable. It also has very little kick with the recommended 2 hand stance. Even with one hand, it has minimal kick. I once shot a few rounds with a H&K .45: the kick was no more than my .40 Beretta.

There are any number of "quality" S-A's available in compact size that carry a full clip with reduced weight, including some with polymer frames.

JMHO's...

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3t7kl8yd said:
All good adivce. The reason you rarley see Tx. peace officers carring a wheel gun these days is because it's next to impossible to complete the basic firearms quilifications course with a wheel gun. Todays course includes various reload situations in which it's almost imposible to complete in the time alotted. Even with speed loaders. I know of a few that can do it but it's tuff and they are etremely devoted. "gun nut" Not to mention, with todays auto loaders you can carry upwards of 60 rounds of amunition in three mags depending on the cal. of the weapon, verses 18 rounds with two speed loaders and a wheel gun.

Triple D":3pg8grni said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3pg8grni said:
All good adivce. The reason you rarley see Tx. peace officers carring a wheel gun these days is because it's next to impossible to complete the basic firearms quilifications course with a wheel gun. Todays course includes various reload situations in which it's almost imposible to complete in the time alotted. Even with speed loaders. I know of a few that can do it but it's tuff and they are etremely devoted. "gun nut" Not to mention, with todays auto loaders you can carry upwards of 60 rounds of amunition in three mags depending on the cal. of the weapon, verses 18 rounds with two speed loaders and a wheel gun.

But a Texas Police officer is going to have more training than what the girl will have who started the thread :)

Very true, I was just commenting to Mahoneys post about not seeing many wheel guns on the street anymore.

Triple D":1i1ulyqj said:
Very true, I was just commenting to Mahoneys post about not seeing many wheel guns on the street anymore.
Actually I have to wonder about the "Training" of some in law enforcement. Was watching COPS the TV show the other day and one of the police officers was holding his gun sideways like the wrap music type idiots do. I COULD NOT FRIGGEN BELIEVE IT.
I have been out of shooting for a few years but when I was shooting competatively the COLT 1911 dominated the sport.
New doesnt mean better. But a lot depends on the skill level of the person.
I used to guide hunters. Seen a lot of people fall a part just from the stress of a guided hunt. Can only imagine what they would be like in combat.

Latest posts