Hair whorls and bull fertility?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Interesting. I've read quite a bit how hair whorls indicate whether a cow is more aggressive or docile but evidently now linking the whorls to bull fertility. Things that make you go Hmmmmm?

https://www.beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_new_spin_fertility?fbclid=IwAR0IOzYqx1OxOGIQZO42DPPB2-JU8E6wjO895vtXbrKdzGOmhxiCHjBtdzE

It is amazing that this has been documented for over 100 years and the universities are just now getting around to researching it . Check out www.bovineengineering.com , the late Mr Gerald Fry researched hair patterns in cattle for years . He refers to a book written by a Frenchman in the 1800's that goes into great detail about hair patterns in dairy heifers .I can't remember the name of it but you can read it online , kind of boring but eye opening . Just my 2 cents

mayesfarm said:
It is amazing that this has been documented for over 100 years and the universities are just now getting around to researching it . Check out www.bovineengineering.com , the late Mr Gerald Fry researched hair patterns in cattle for years . He refers to a book written by a Frenchman in the 1800's that goes into great detail about hair patterns in dairy heifers .I can't remember the name of it but you can read it online , kind of boring but eye opening . Just my 2 cents

The original article is 20 years old.

Buck Randall said:
mayesfarm said:

Honestly, I didn't pay attention to the date of the article because it was in last week's online Beef Mag. So, other than pointing out the huge time lapse, have you found it to be accurate?

TCRanch said:
Buck Randall said:
mayesfarm said:

Honestly, I didn't pay attention to the date of the article because it was in last week's online Beef Mag. So, other than pointing out the huge time lapse, have you found it to be accurate?
I've got no problem with the article, I was just responding to mayesfarm's remark about "universities are just now getting around to researching it." There is some really old research on the topic.

Sorry that I missed the date on the article ! I just really admire the people who were breeding and improving cattle before all of our technology came along .

I think that's correct, however, there's lots of traits (like whorl location for docility, etc) that are unproven.. Look up "supergene"
https://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46611

Latest posts