Had a close one tonight

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Just when you think things are going good you better look over your shoulder. I had been wanting to seperate a particular bull so I could put him on some heifers and as luck would have it he comes strolling up a lane all by himself so I close the exit gate and walk around behind him and he walks right into the crowding area where I shut the other gate an open another one and within a few minutes I have the trailer hooked up and he walks right into the trailer. I'm feeling chuffed by this stroke of luck. BUT, what I neglected to consider was that by shutting the first gate I opened up another area of the maze to the rest of the herd and they quickly went into this area to graze on the deep ryegrass and oats but thankfully they didn't find their way out and into trouble. When I got back it was dark and I saw some cows and a few calves in the pens so I walk up to run them out. Most of them quickly left but a few straggler calves didn't know what to do and began getting stupid. I walk down the alley to go in the pen to push them out when #57 comes to the rescue of her distressed calf. #57 is EVIL and is a certifiable pshysopath and she had every intention of killing me or at least making a large spot out of me. But then comes my hero, Eli, who darts out from his heel position and and intecepts her before she could catch me. He latches on to her nose and gives her a good bite. She tries to squash him with her head but he dodges and bites and as she still tries to make her run on me but eventually he backs her up to where there are two more cows who have come to see what is going on and he takes all three of them on and sends them packing. Had it not been for Eli, I think she might have got me this time. I believe she and I are going to have to go for a long walk shortly. Good mother or not, she is dangerous and I don't think I could live with myself if I gave this problem to someone else. Heck of a mother but she's friggin crazy and mean.

Here is my hero and his monkey. He doesn't like to sleep without it and he'll search the house over till he finds it. Don't he look vicsious?

IMG_5718.jpg

That's a good dog you got there. Didn't you say you were low on beef anyway? I think you have an answer to 2 problems

:clap: :clap: maybe I need to send Sam for a training visit. He would have blown past me trying to save himself :lol: .

A good dog is worth more than gold. Can't count the number of times the dogs saved me from a bad situation. I don't know how anyone with livestock get along without one.

You can still sell that cow-- just paint her up real good and tell the auction to say shes crazy when she goes thru(she'll go straight to slaughter)- I've done that several times with crazy calves. I sleep good at night--well worth loosing some money.

It's easy to see why they're called mans best friend, no other animal comes close.

Yeah it sounds like #57 needs to take a ride, she'll bring good money and that makes it an excellent time to clean that kind of problem out.

Glad you were not hurt.

Larry

Isomade":1ha6pdkb said:
:clap: :clap: maybe I need to send Sam for a training visit. He would have blown past me trying to save himself :lol: .

Don't lose hope, Eli took her on when he was a pup and like you said he ran right past me and under the truck leaving me to jump like Michel Jordan into the bed of the truck. This is twice she's come close to getting me. She is a heck of a mother but she needs to go.

Kathie, he is about spoiled now. I tell you though, lately he has really made me respect him. Had a cow get through the gate and was in the middle of a field by herself. I told him to fetch her and he jumped down off the tractor ran across the field and circled her and ran her right through the gate. It would have probably taken me an hour to get her in by myself and the whole thing was settled in just a couple of minutes.

A Blue Heeler or Australian Cattle dog, they do have a good bite to them. He does look spoilt though, sounds like he is repaying a bit of that.
You sound like me though, always forget about some gate I've left open. I have a policy now of leaving all gates closed, no matter how inconvenient, but there still seems to be a gate I forget about.
Ken

Glad Eli was around....
Give him a pat for me....
I would have that cow on the unemployment line...or let her find her place in the food chain.....
no matter how good a cow she is if she kills someone.

As my daddy used to say when talking about horses....."it don't cost a dam_ed bit more to feed a good one than it does to feed a sorry one." In this case the descriptors should be pointed at the dispositon and not at the pure production.

I killed a good pet cow a few weeks ago who had gotten so lame that she could hardly stand and walk. She started with stifle problems a while back and I was trying to let her wean this one last calf. She could walk and get around but it was awful to try to watch her try to get up. I put her out of her misery.
Would be no trouble at all for me to drop one who chased after me. more profitable to sell her butt though.

Lucky you are, and I agree on the culling of that attitude.
Truely I don't know what I would do without ole Rube. I have never owned a dog as faithful or tuned in to what I am doing. Holler get a holt and she is fixing to work over a nose and heels. I don't have rank cow's most of mine have molasses ass and won't move. The smoke and mirror bull(Angus) get's real antsy in the pen. He also has that look that you owe him money everytime you come in the pasture. Being he is a 2 year old I don't forsee this improving.

Caustic Burno":2pnqvxy0 said:
Lucky you are, and I agree on the culling of that attitude.
Truely I don't know what I would do without ole Rube. I have never owned a dog as faithful or tuned in to what I am doing. Holler get a holt and she is fixing to work over a nose and heels. I don't have rank cow's most of mine have molasses ass and won't move. The smoke and mirror bull(Angus) get's real antsy in the pen. He also has that look that you owe him money everytime you come in the pasture. Being he is a 2 year old I don't forsee this improving.

My New Standard son looked at me like that once. He was sure mad enuf to kill me. He went out in the willows and bellered at me for 10 minutes instead.

ALACOWMAN":qac2gj3y said:
jedstivers":qac2gj3y said:
I sure used to like those cows though.
me too,, but that was before my timing to the fence diminished.. and you hear bones popping and the cow aint even made it to you yet
:cowboy:

bad cows bad horses, bad hombres......
I am too old to run and too old to fight....
but I am still known for my orneryness....
and I ain't to old to pull the trigger.

some days I am gentler than when I was a wee kid....
other days I am meaner than when I was at my fighting weight....
but I have always tried to live by John Waynes code of ethics.

ALACOWMAN":2ipe45qe said:
jedstivers":2ipe45qe said:
I sure used to like those cows though.
me too,, but that was before my timing to the fence diminished.. and you hear bones popping and the cow aint even made it to you yet
:cowboy:

I didn't want anything but a tiger when I was younger, I am with Jed. It is always interesting to hear the new noise's.

Haul her to the sale with no regrets. I kinda like some of my stuff that hates my sorry guts... They raise a calf every time when sometimes the gentle ones don't. I just make sure I'm mounted when I deal with them and it's not so bad. They won't ever, ever, ever, be in danger of being hauled down in the spring to join my AI herd but for where they're at they do just fine. :nod:
If it would make you sleep better at night, run her through the squeeze at the salebarn and write "HOT" on her back so that nobody has any excuses for not knowing what they get.
Edited to add: I have a Queensland bytch that was full of potential until my wife chewed on her for going after chickens... She hasn't gone after anything since unless she thinks she absolutely has to and then she comes uncorked...I haul her with me when I'm on foot specifically to keep me from getting stomped and boy does it ever work. :nod:

Can't live without a good dog and a good horse on our farm. I believe your cow is probably kin to one of ours, the only reason she hasn't made it to the sale is because she has jumped the corral fence last 2x. I'm liking the idea of putting some beef in the freezer.

Latest posts