H Brace Material

Help Support CattleToday:

drl

Reaction score
What do you use for your H brace for fence? Looking to make a bunch for 3 wire high tensile electric fence. Might do railroad ties but didn't know if a 6 inch round post would work for the ends and a 4 inch post for the cross. Also anyone here have luck with floating braces? Living in Wisconsin so frost is an issue.

9" main posts and 4" braces are plenty down here even in the sand. As long as they are set deep enough

I use nothing but floating braces. The only problem with them is if they are on the cow side of the fence they will rub on them and eventually cause issues, like knocking them down and or breaking them

I use telephone poles with a 4x4. I get the broken poles or the one's they pull up to replace then cut them down when needed. Hustled up a bunch of treated lumber when they started tearing out all our old bridges.

I used 6" posts and 4" braces for the 4 wire I put up last year. Seems plenty solid. Send an email to cjk at nconnect.net if you want pics.

Most people have the horizontal portion of the H design too short. The length of horizontal portion needs to be more than twice the height of the posts. Mount the horizontal brace roughly 10 to 12 inches below the top wire of the fence. I use recycled schedule 40 pipe.

circlew":3ddnpthr said:
gonzo":3ddnpthr said:
I been usein landscape timbers , there treated strong and only 3 bucks n change. :tiphat:
And they rott off in 3 years n change :bang:
Paint Them with used engine oil up past the dirt contact

The place I'm running cows on now my inlaws bought. The guy who had the place built all of his corner post, braces, and pull post out of land scape ties. I have been replacing them as I can. :bang: :bang:

I just discovered floating braces a couple years ago....
I will not use anything else now....
someone else posted that that the length of the horizontal in the H is most important. Good ones round here are using a good long piece of steel pipe about three or four inches diameter for the horizontal.

Related H brace question: I had a very good fence builder do some fences for me and they used approx 10ft 4" for the H braces but put them about halfway between the ground and the top of the posts in a notch they make with a chain saw. They then use this mid height brace as a place to lock the short wood pieces twisted to tighten the brace wires.

When I build fences I have always pinned the 4" dia 9-10ft long wood braces near the top of the posts and run the brace wire over one of the extended pins. I use large gripples to tighten the brace wires.

Which way is better, mid brace or top brace?

By "floating brace" do you mean pinned rather than nailed?

Jim

SRBeef":db0dkkx8 said:
Related H brace question: I had a very good fence builder do some fences for me and they used approx 10ft 4" for the H braces but put them about halfway between the ground and the top of the posts in a notch they make with a chain saw. They then use this mid height brace as a place to lock the short wood pieces twisted to tighten the brace wires.

When I build fences I have always pinned the 4" dia 9-10ft long wood braces near the top of the posts and run the brace wire over one of the extended pins. I use large gripples to tighten the brace wires.

Which way is better, mid brace or top brace?
Jim

Ran it through a structural design program. Assuming that the primary failure is the corner post pulling out of the ground, it does not really make much of a difference whether you put the brace high or in the middle. To prevent the corner from pulling out the best thing you can do is make your horizontal brace longer or go with a double h brace. The difference between a lower and higher bar is the difference of a few pounds while the difference of adding 2 feet to the brace reduces the uplift by over 100lbs. The double assembly more than cuts it in half. The floating brace does show more uplift.

TennesseeTuxedo":2fvtojca said:
I would think landscape timbers used for the horizontal brace would work just fine and last may years since they are not in contact with the soil.
It takes a while, but the ends will rot off where they contact the posts.

Latest posts