Floating-speed brace revisited.

Help Support CattleToday:

hayray

Reaction score
I know this topic was covered alot a while back. Since then I have found that it seems the H-brace for my applications is out dated and more work. There was a link that I found calling the floating brace a diagonal strainor, not good at posting links, but google diagonal strainer, North Central Research Station. The research stated with the size post they used that the diagonal strainer has a strength of 8700 pounds of pull that was way more then a 7 strand high tensile wire. Also I found another link that the ASAE had stating that a double H-brace with standard sized post had a breaking strength of 9000 lbs. , so I would guess a single H-Brace would have alot less. So I have several floating braces of with 6 strands high tensile and thought it saved me tons of time.
Yesterday I was fencing in a remote area I could not drive and I made a speed brace using the diagonal strainer method by using two 1 1/4 inch round fiberglass rod six feet in length. I used a cup from a brace for light duty chain link fence and held it to the corner post making a clamp out of banded metal and used a small pice of 2x6 for the float pad for the diagonal brace and then tied them together at ground level with high tensile and a in line ratchet and stretched two strands high tensile wire to the brace and it never moved and I cranked them tight, I was pretty impressed with how fast and easy it was. I for sure thought it was better then using the wedge lock on a t-post for a speed brace since a lot of time was saved not using insulators and the fiberglass post where about the same price. I will go back out there today and get some pictures.

Latest posts