Welded pipe H-brace question?

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes that little wire brace is the most important part. A lot of people don't use it because my welded brace is strong, well in a couple years the corner post is pulled up about 6" to release the tension on the upper strands

Yes that little wire brace is the most important part. A lot of people don't use it because my welded brace is strong, well in a couple years the corner post is pulled up about 6" to release the tension on the upper strands
What I see is often the end post jacks out of the ground. The diagonal helps with that as well.
The hybrid brace above is certainly not ordinary procedure. It was a very unique situation involving a old brace that had to be pulled and same holes used due to underground utilities. As well as materials available.

See there's where you go wrong 😂
🤣 You are probably right. Hes gonna want to redesign the whole dang thing to justify his job rather than just answer the question.

I guess I'm just simple minded. I've always been told 2 things when building fence. Bury the posts as deep as you can go and dont try to pull the wires too tight. It hasnt done me wrong yet.

Another important thing is always have the tension going to the back or the actual corner post. If your post that's away from the corner has tension you are pulling your brace apart and not compressing it like you should be

🤣 You are probably right. Hes gonna want to redesign the whole dang thing to justify his job rather than just answer the question.

I guess I'm just simple minded. I've always been told 2 things when building fence. Bury the posts as deep as you can go and dont try to pull the wires too tight. It hasnt done me wrong yet.
Deep yes. Too tight....no such thing.

Go find you pipe H.

Hook a good strong come along on the diagonal. Put a level on the post. And see if you can't move plum.
Can't have a pipe diagonal of course.
You won't move those.

Why would you put one a wood H.
The pull of the wire will hold it together.... thats not what the brace wire is for.

I'd like to see some pics of your fence...

If your relying on a deep post and wire that's not too tight what happens when cows are pushing on it or bulls fighting run into it, your only relying on that deep post to keep it straight and not leverage. Remember the tightest a fence is is the day you build it from that day on it only gets looser.

Our NRCS advocates double H braces over diagonals. I built all mine that way (2 7/8 posts, 2 3/8 top rail). Length of the top rail for each H is at least double the height of the topmost tensioned wire in the fence.

Simple to remember, and it's VERY solid. I think I used 42" as minimum in-ground distance, but we're not sandy.

We have too much topography and soft dirt for tight wires. You will have a good tight fence but the cows will walk right under it.😄

Bulls will tear up any fence. Easier to get rid of the bulls.

Let me see if I can get a pic to put yalls mind at ease. I dont want yall worrying about our cows all night.

Last edited:
Here's an example. Take a stick and stick it in the ground or the mud. Now take your hand and pull on the stick and see how easily it pulls over. Now place one hand on top like before and your other one at the bottom, now pull the stick parallel to the ground with h both hands. As you can imagine it will take a lot more force to get the stick to move. This is what that little wire is doing for you.

Ok guys up until now all my fence is high tensile wire on H-braced corners with RR ties sunk 5' deep and a 10' horizontal 6x6.

New farm I'm driving 4.5" steel pipe almost 6' deep and using a 10' horizontal pipe welded in.

Question is do I need a diagonal brace wire on the welded pipe H's like I did with the wood ones?
Absolu
Ok guys up until now all my fence is high tensile wire on H-braced corners with RR ties sunk 5' deep and a 10' horizontal 6x6.

New farm I'm driving 4.5" steel pipe almost 6' deep and using a 10' horizontal pipe welded in.

Question is do I need a diagonal brace wire on the welded pipe H's like I did with the wood ones?
Absolutely not. The wire is to keep the horizontal brace from falling out

Absolutely not. If it's welded up there is no point.

Here's an example. Take a stick and stick it in the ground or the mud. Now take your hand and pull on the stick and see how easily it pulls over. Now place one hand on top like before and your other one at the bottom, now pull the stick parallel to the ground with h both hands. As you can imagine it will take a lot more force to get the stick to move. This is what that little wire is doing for you.
I think I need like 4 hands to do what you just described 😁

Today at least it's a free country so you can build your fence anyway you want all I'm saying is if you do not have a cross brace that corner post will be pulled up sooner or later and I should know a thing about fences because I've built hundreds of miles of them

Today at least it's a free country so you can build your fence anyway you want all I'm saying is if you do not have a cross brace that corner post will be pulled up sooner or later and I should know a thing about fences because I've built hundreds of miles of them
I'm with yall on diagonal bracing in general... but not wire only applying force one way.
Then don't...it ain't like you gotta warranty it. I do.

Latest posts