Gun Talk

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryder":2fnailc0 said:
Am I missing something here?
So Grit is supposed to watch some guy manhandle his daughter and just grin about it?
:???: :???:

You are missing a broader discussion but so are others so don't feel alone.

M-5":1vuotrhz said:
Ryder":1vuotrhz said:
Am I missing something here?
So Grit is supposed to watch some guy manhandle his daughter and just grin about it?
:???: :???:
No , not in the world I live in. But I still got a couple of hangy down things .

Problem: too many of the Macho men think with them instead of their cerebrum.

M-5":1dwmm9xu said:
Grit is hazard county 50 years ago. Ky doesn't have the patent on rough places.
I can take you places around here you would swear you stepped back 100 yrs

USA homicide rate per 100,000
1900 - 1.2
1903 - 1.1
1908 - 4.8
1918 - 6.5
1928 - 8.6 (prohibition)
1938 - 6.8
1948 - 5.9
1957 - 4.0 (edited to add lowest years)
1958 - 4.8
1968 - 6.9
1978 - 9.0
1980 - 10.2 (edited to add highest year)
1988 - 8.4
1998 - 6.3
2008 - 5.4
2015 - 4.9 (the last year I found data on)

Son of Butch":uneg7zyn said:
M-5":uneg7zyn said:

1908 - 4.8
1918 - 6.5
1928 - 8.6 (prohibition)
1938 - 6.8
1948 - 5.9
1958 - 4.8
1968 - 6.9
1978 - 9.0
1988 - 8.4
1998 - 6.3
2008 - 5.4

I'll be darned, the grocer is right, we are getting softer, can't even keep a respectful homocide rate going.

Doesn't support this irrational fear of going unarmed in public either.

Bright Raven":1o7sa4ed said:
M-5":1o7sa4ed said:
Bright Raven":1o7sa4ed said:
Not directing this at Grit. But usually you reap what you sow. The philosophy that "The way to stop violence is with more and harsher violence" will get you killed or make you wish you were dead when it collides with a culture that is totally without restraint. They have no regard for authority and they respond to a slap to the face with a baseball bat blow to the side of your cranium that knocks your brains into the next county. Yes they might be anywhere.
We see where the coddling and be nice culture has got us by the number of threads going at the moment. The demasculinization process has been going on the last 30 yrs. It's time real men stand up and kick azz and change the culture.

That is not the culture I am talking about. The culture I am talking about will throw your azz down a mine shaft and sit down and drink a Bud Lite.
I can see Harlan Co from my front porch and go there at least once a month gun trading. Things were like you describe but the drugs have taken over now. That's the reason I carry.
And I drink shine at the top of the mine shaft and sprinkle a few drops down the hole.

M.Magis":3eq4os69 said:
ga.prime":3eq4os69 said:
greybeard":3eq4os69 said:
Ok, it almost never happens. I suspect more people are accidentally killed with these CC guns than are saved. I'm not campaigning against CC. If you're comfortable carrying a concealed gun, fine with me.
You couldn't be more wrong. I'm not sure how you could even come to that conclusion.
You've never heard of people being accidentally killed by firearms?

Lucky":956kgm04 said:
If I was too scared to go into public without a gun I would move....serious business...I think I would relocate. Probably get robbed today now.

I second playing John Wayne though, who didn't want to be John Wayne growing up.

I agree. We've had similar discussions before. I can't imagine living somewhere that I didn't feel comfortable without a gun on me. Like you, I think I would move. I'm with BR, I just don't feel the threat like some here.

TennesseeTuxedo":ievwb08r said:
Son of Butch":ievwb08r said:
M-5":ievwb08r said:

1908 - 4.8
1918 - 6.5
1928 - 8.6 (prohibition)
1938 - 6.8
1948 - 5.9
1958 - 4.8
1968 - 6.9
1978 - 9.0
1988 - 8.4
1998 - 6.3
2008 - 5.4

I'll be darned, the grocer is right, we are getting softer, can't even keep a respectful homocide rate going.

Doesn't support this irrational fear of going unarmed in public either.
Caustic Bruno":ievwb08r said:
Well the chaff is getting seperated in this thread.
Yup...

zirlottkim":1wmfxuui said:
Too busy lately to keep up with all the gun rhetoric. But I read this somewhere...not even sure who's quote, but make sense to me.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." I wonder how these women would have fared out if they were not armed? http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/mother- ... y-53335023
If they (and everyone else there I suppose) had just moved from Tulsa everything would have been fine. Yeah..that's the ticket. If trouble comes......just move. That's how we solve problems in America....we just..... move.

I think if tighter gun laws were to be brought into the US it would be very messy and unlikely to have any effect on shootings, crime and terrorism. When Australia brought in our gun legislation there was not the widespread gun ownership that occurs in the US, handguns and automatic weapons were more difficult to own even before the new legislation. It mostly tidied up the old hand me down guns that were lying in the bottom of cupboards and never saw the light of day, people took the opportunity of the amnesty to hand them in. Those of us that wanted to keep our guns had to go through the licence process and meet the requirements of gun storage.

I think with your widespread gun ownership and the unlimited types of firearms it would take many decades of tighter control to bring the availability of firearms down where it would make any significant impact on these shootings.

Ken

I think you are right Ken. Australia has been used as a sort of success story for lefties saying it worked well there and it can work here. I've also seen statistics showing your crime rate has gone up since it took place. Which is true?

I think many are disillusioned by cc, they feel good carrying. But carrying isn't enough to ensure your safety , you have to think, and observe. A small of the back carry is only slower in a draw to ankle carry . Strong side draw won't do you a bit of good if that arm is injured , or someone has a strong grip on it. Even if you can access the weapon but you've never practiced with your weak hand , you'll likely not get the safety off and have a very good chance of having it taken away and used against you . If you're serious about self defense , best to be proactive not reactive .

snoopdog":geugajlz said:
If you're serious about self defense , best to be proactive not reactive .

Yep. Your mind is always your best defense.

On being proactive, I think you mean "preparation". Not pulling first and shooting a target "you think" might be a threat. Or "feeling uncomfortable" or "unsafe" and shooting a "soft" target.

wbvs58":1dgtni9i said:
I think if tighter gun laws were to be brought into the US it would be very messy and unlikely to have any effect on shootings, crime and terrorism. When Australia brought in our gun legislation there was not the widespread gun ownership that occurs in the US, handguns and automatic weapons were more difficult to own even before the new legislation. It mostly tidied up the old hand me down guns that were lying in the bottom of cupboards and never saw the light of day, people took the opportunity of the amnesty to hand them in. Those of us that wanted to keep our guns had to go through the licence process and meet the requirements of gun storage.

I think with your widespread gun ownership and the unlimited types of firearms it would take many decades of tighter control to bring the availability of firearms down where it would make any significant impact on these shootings.

Ken
q

Australia doesn't have open borders or NAFTA.

Bright Raven":78at1s7f said:
snoopdog":78at1s7f said:

On being proactive, I think you mean "preparation". Not pulling first and shooting a target "you think" might be a threat. Or "feeling uncomfortable" or "unsafe" and shooting a "soft" target.
Actually BR, What I meant was more along the lines of keeping yourself out of potential situations , or away from known problem areas .

snoopdog":286w6u7f said:
Bright Raven":286w6u7f said:
snoopdog":286w6u7f said:

Actually BR, What I meant was more along the lines of keeping yourself out of potential situations , or away from known problem areas .

I wholly endorse that. But you made some good points on preparation regarding how one carries and acknowledging the limitations.

True Grit Farms":1ld1a5zg said:
wbvs58":1ld1a5zg said:

Ken
q

Australia doesn't have open borders or NAFTA.

What the he!! Does NAFTA have to do with anything?

Latest posts