Gun Talk

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
7
Location
Kentucky
I am pro gun, pro carry, have worked with armed federal officials in an enforcement environment, and have engaged persons using or threatening to use lethal force against federal enforcement actions.

I have had CC permits from Montana, the City and County of Denver, and Kentucky. I probably have not carried concealed for more than 100 hours total in my entire lifetime.

Candidly, I am by nature not paranoid or insecure. Being very open, this is just my gut feeling - I think many who carry are playing out their childhood aspirations of being John Wayne. I acknowledge that there are legitimate circumstances to be prepared and armed. I have been there, done that. However, how many people are conducting their daily lives in an environment that warrants being armed? Think about this, Do you wear a crash helmet while driving? I know that sounds crass but the likelihood of it saving your life in a wreck far outweighs the protection benefit of the gun you carry.

I find CC a PITA. I realize that you get accustom to it. The question is - Is the juice worth the squeeze?

PS: I acknowledge most users here feel like their life is in constant danger and I am sympathetic, but I simply don't feel that threat.
 

M.Magis

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
2,034
Reaction score
147
Location
Cambridge, Ohio
What's the question here? If I'm in town, I carry. Until I can predict the future, there's no way to know if there's a need. That's like saying no need for a seat belt if you don't expect to crash.
 
OP
B

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
7
Location
Kentucky
M.Magis":e3tgimhp said:
What's the question here? If I'm in town, I carry. Until I can predict the future, there's no way to know if there's a need. That's like saying no need for a seat belt if you don't expect to crash.

Not a question. I do expect feedback and yours is very helpful.

So you only carry in town. That makes sense.
 

M.Magis

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
2,034
Reaction score
147
Location
Cambridge, Ohio
Ok, I thought there was a question I didn't understand.
I'd venture a guess that VAST majority of people that have needed their CC weapon left the house assuming they'd never need it.
Meth heads these days are something everyone should consider. They do crazy shyt.
 
OP
B

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
7
Location
Kentucky
M.Magis":3u1fs7dq said:
Ok, I thought there was a question I didn't understand.
I'd venture a guess that VAST majority of people that have needed their CC weapon left the house assuming they'd never need it.
Meth heads these days are something everyone should consider. They do crazy shyt.

What would be funny if someone responds that they don't feel threatened, they just love to play John Wayne. Lol
 

M-5

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2015
Messages
7,338
Reaction score
6
Location
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
DId those kids last week think their lives were in danger??

Do you leave the gate open in your cow lot ?? how do you know the cows wont stay in??

Do you keep your driver license in your wallet?? When was the last time you were stopped and needed it??

I have no grand visions of being john wayne , He was just an actor . I do however have the desire to be a good person and with that I would protect or try too protect innocent people including strangers . I am a self starter I do not have to be told what to do on a daily BASIS I hope I never have to be put in that situation. I feel safe every day in my travels but until the day comes that every lunatic is locked up I can not be sure something wont happen. How many times have you heard "we didn't expect that to Happen. "
 

Caustic Burno

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
27,125
Reaction score
1,964
Location
Big Thicket East Texas
M-5":me083ni8 said:
DId those kids last week think their lives were in danger??

Do you leave the gate open in your cow lot ?? how do you know the cows wont stay in??

Do you keep your driver license in your wallet?? When was the last time you were stopped and needed it??

I have no grand visions of being john wayne , He was just an actor . I do however have the desire to be a good person and with that I would protect or try too protect innocent people including strangers . I am a self starter I do not have to be told what to do on a daily BASIS I hope I never have to be put in that situation. I feel safe every day in my travels but until the day comes that every lunatic is locked up I can not be sure something wont happen. How many times have you heard "we didn't expect that to Happen. "


You took the bait.
My guess the original post was for the reason to stir the pot only.
 

M-5

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2015
Messages
7,338
Reaction score
6
Location
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Caustic Burno":31ym8uax said:
M-5":31ym8uax said:
DId those kids last week think their lives were in danger??

Do you leave the gate open in your cow lot ?? how do you know the cows wont stay in??

Do you keep your driver license in your wallet?? When was the last time you were stopped and needed it??

I have no grand visions of being john wayne , He was just an actor . I do however have the desire to be a good person and with that I would protect or try too protect innocent people including strangers . I am a self starter I do not have to be told what to do on a daily BASIS I hope I never have to be put in that situation. I feel safe every day in my travels but until the day comes that every lunatic is locked up I can not be sure something wont happen. How many times have you heard "we didn't expect that to Happen. "


You took the bait.
My guess the original post was for the reason to stir the pot only.

Most likely but everyone should know by now I'm always up for a fight .
 
OP
B

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
7
Location
Kentucky
Caustic Burno":3e3g5eqb said:
M-5":3e3g5eqb said:
DId those kids last week think their lives were in danger??

Do you leave the gate open in your cow lot ?? how do you know the cows wont stay in??

Do you keep your driver license in your wallet?? When was the last time you were stopped and needed it??

I have no grand visions of being john wayne , He was just an actor . I do however have the desire to be a good person and with that I would protect or try too protect innocent people including strangers . I am a self starter I do not have to be told what to do on a daily BASIS I hope I never have to be put in that situation. I feel safe every day in my travels but until the day comes that every lunatic is locked up I can not be sure something wont happen. How many times have you heard "we didn't expect that to Happen. "


You took the bait.
My guess the original post was for the reason to stir the pot only.

A little cookin going on. :D. But the feeling is sincere. I don't identify with the sense of danger some posters convey on other threads. For me personally, the juice ain't worth the squeeze.
 

M-5

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2015
Messages
7,338
Reaction score
6
Location
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Bright Raven":23c1rqbn said:
Caustic Burno":23c1rqbn said:
M-5":23c1rqbn said:
DId those kids last week think their lives were in danger??

Do you leave the gate open in your cow lot ?? how do you know the cows wont stay in??

Do you keep your driver license in your wallet?? When was the last time you were stopped and needed it??

I have no grand visions of being john wayne , He was just an actor . I do however have the desire to be a good person and with that I would protect or try too protect innocent people including strangers . I am a self starter I do not have to be told what to do on a daily BASIS I hope I never have to be put in that situation. I feel safe every day in my travels but until the day comes that every lunatic is locked up I can not be sure something wont happen. How many times have you heard "we didn't expect that to Happen. "


You took the bait.
My guess the original post was for the reason to stir the pot only.

A little cookin going on. :D. But the feeling is sincere. I don't identify with the sense of danger some posters convey on other threads. For me personally, the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

BR , when was the last time you had an injury or accident on the farm. Could it have been prevented ?? did you know you were going to have the accident and said to heII with it I want to be injured ?? If you never leave the farm then I can understand but if you venture into town any you never know what might happen. How would you feel if something happened to a beautiful lady and you had the opportunity to do something and because you were not armed she died in front of you..
 

wbvs58

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2011
Messages
5,883
Reaction score
1,021
Location
S.E. Queensland, Australia
BR, Ron, I think you have made a pretty fair statement of how you feel. I am interested to here how other people feel, not them trying to change your ways but how they go about their business with CC.

I am only looking as an outsider obviously but with all the people in the US that have a licence for CC, how come we don't hear of more incidents where these horrific events are snuffed out by a responsible citizen before much damage is done?

Ken
 

holm25

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2016
Messages
695
Reaction score
10
wbvs58":w7x3m8ch said:
BR, Ron, I think you have made a pretty fair statement of how you feel. I am interested to here how other people feel, not them trying to change your ways but how they go about their business with CC.

I am only looking as an outsider obviously but with all the people in the US that have a licence for CC, how come we don't hear of more incidents where these horrific events are snuffed out by a responsible citizen before much damage is done?

Ken

A lot of people don’t care 24/7... And too many places are gun free zones these days...
 

callmefence

Hobby rancher
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
8,099
Reaction score
2,089
Location
Fencemans place...central Texas
Bright Raven":1ceiqqoq said:
I am pro gun, pro carry, have worked with armed federal officials in an enforcement environment, and have engaged persons using or threatening to use lethal force against federal enforcement actions.

I have had CC permits from Montana, the City and County of Denver, and Kentucky. I probably have not carried concealed for more than 100 hours total in my entire lifetime.

Candidly, I am by nature not paranoid or insecure. Being very open, this is just my gut feeling - I think many who carry are playing out their childhood aspirations of being John Wayne. I acknowledge that there are legitimate circumstances to be prepared and armed. I have been there, done that. However, how many people are conducting their daily lives in an environment that warrants being armed? Think about this, Do you wear a crash helmet while driving? I know that sounds crass but the likelihood of it saving your life in a wreck far outweighs the protection benefit of the gun you carry.

I find CC a PITA. I realize that you get accustom to it. The question is - Is the juice worth the squeeze?

PS: I acknowledge most users here feel like their life is in constant danger and I am sympathetic, but I simply don't feel that threat.

I agree to some extent on the John Wayne complex. You can tell them quite easily. They can't shut up about what they carry and how they carry.
Kinda showing your cards in my opinion.
I might talk about my hunting iron.
But nobody but my wife knows about my defense arsenal.
 

TennesseeTuxedo

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Joined
Jul 9, 2011
Messages
18,168
Reaction score
2,617
Location
Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
I have a S&W 44 special by my bed, I have a Colt Python .357 in the kitchen cabinet above the stove, and a Colt 911 Combat ACP .45 in a piece of furniture by my favorite chair in my living room.

I don't feel the need to tote any of them outside my home but apparently I'm scared stiff at the house.
 

greybeard

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 5, 2012
Messages
20,728
Reaction score
1,741
Location
Cleveland Tx
TennesseeTuxedo":179he18h said:
Caustic Burno":179he18h said:
I understand as I don’t step out the house without a 357.
Between rattlesnakes,hogs and feral dumped dogs you better have something.

Who the he!! dumps feral dogs?
Morons..that's who.
Most here, aren't feral until they're dumped...they're someone's unwanted yard/house dog that they got tired of barking, didn't want to pay $ for feed, or a bunch of unplanned puppies they didn't want to raise and find homes for..or put down themselves so they stick 'em in a car, drive over to some desolate road or to some rural farm gate and kick them out to find their way to someone else's house..or a pasture of livestock to chase.....and that's about all I have to add to this conversation.
 

Farm Fence Solutions

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 15, 2016
Messages
2,008
Reaction score
0
callmefence":3dwdgvt6 said:
Bright Raven":3dwdgvt6 said:
I am pro gun, pro carry, have worked with armed federal officials in an enforcement environment, and have engaged persons using or threatening to use lethal force against federal enforcement actions.

I have had CC permits from Montana, the City and County of Denver, and Kentucky. I probably have not carried concealed for more than 100 hours total in my entire lifetime.

Candidly, I am by nature not paranoid or insecure. Being very open, this is just my gut feeling - I think many who carry are playing out their childhood aspirations of being John Wayne. I acknowledge that there are legitimate circumstances to be prepared and armed. I have been there, done that. However, how many people are conducting their daily lives in an environment that warrants being armed? Think about this, Do you wear a crash helmet while driving? I know that sounds crass but the likelihood of it saving your life in a wreck far outweighs the protection benefit of the gun you carry.

I find CC a PITA. I realize that you get accustom to it. The question is - Is the juice worth the squeeze?

PS: I acknowledge most users here feel like their life is in constant danger and I am sympathetic, but I simply don't feel that threat.

I agree to some extent on the John Wayne complex. You can tell them quite easily. They can't shut up about what they carry and how they carry.
Kinda showing your cards in my opinion.
I might talk about my hunting iron.
But nobody but my wife knows about my defense arsenal.

I figured you were just using me for bait when you told me where the 380 was hid when we went to the big city. :lol:
 

TennesseeTuxedo

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Joined
Jul 9, 2011
Messages
18,168
Reaction score
2,617
Location
Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
greybeard":3r1rf2ju said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3r1rf2ju said:
Caustic Burno":3r1rf2ju said:
I understand as I don’t step out the house without a 357.
Between rattlesnakes,hogs and feral dumped dogs you better have something.

Who the he!! dumps feral dogs?
Morons..that's who.
Most here, aren't feral until they're dumped...they're someone's unwanted yard/house dog that they got tired of barking, didn't want to pay $ for feed, or a bunch of unplanned puppies they didn't want to raise and find homes for..or put down themselves so they stick 'em in a car, drive over to some desolate road or to some rural farm gate and kick them out to find their way to someone else's house..or a pasture of livestock to chase.....and that's about all I have to add to this conversation.

Ah so they were once pets and later became feral?
 

Latest posts

Top