gun question for mikec and others

Help Support CattleToday:

My husband's father told him that if he ever wanted to shoot a gun to let him know and he would take him out and let him shoot. I thought that was a good thing and have told my kids the same.

aplusmnt":21v1fwov said:
I wonder if a 410 with a slug would work? I know at 7 my son was not to eager to shoot his 410 but now at 9 he does not mind it that much, but favors the 22.

We are not allowed to hunt with rifles here. My daughter shot a doe and filled her antlered tag useing a .410 single shot.
She is 7 and skinny as a rail. The recoil was not an issue with her but the noise was. The single shot and 3" slugs make a big bang. I would suggest some type ear protection with any gun.

I would also not suggest a 20 guage for a kid. I'm a wimp but the 20 guage will hit me harder than a .243
I can target shoot that .243 all day long but a few rounds in the 870 and I'm sick of it.

The 870 .410 that I have is a fun gun to shoot but has it's limitations when deer hunting. Keep in mind that even a 22 will kill a deer with a well placed shot. The .410 slug has to be well placed.

And Running Arrow Bill, I think you went a little off the edge with your comment, but everyone is allowed their opinions.
There is nothing better than sitting in the woods enjoying the outdoors with your child. I really doubt that Boone had any intentions of turning his twins loose with a firearm anytime anywhere.

Enjoy the time spent Boone. Get the kids in the hunter saftey classes and sit thru those classes with them. Teach them the right and safest way from the start.

I think a .243 is the minimum allowed in Missouri. I may be wrong, but I know it is in Kansas and I believe they are the same. I killed my first deer with a .243 and it will not kick the snot out of them. Just buy a little heavier model and make sure they are set up on a nice rest. (a haybale blind works great).

I also have a single shot.357 made by ruger I think.... That will kill em deader than.... and does not kick bad at all. This gun also cost me under 200.00 brand new. It is small enough for a kid to carry and probably as safe as anything out there.... I purchased it for folks that are new to hunting, but want to give it a try. It is not intimidating at all, open sights.... Pretty slick little gun.

Certherfbeef...respect your comment. Yes, with "most" hunters in the past 20-30 (or 40?) years, teaching their kids to respect guns and teach them to shoot at an early age is perhaps common, and a macho thing...??

However, I still think America is slowly pushing "adulthood" down lower and lower in years with the kids. Perhaps it is a vicarious experience for parents or whatever... I personally wouldn't trust a small kid with a weapon...especially if I am within range...lol. Just my upbringing and opinion. Also, the TV programs (cartoons!) and video games aren't helping any either.

Be interesting to see how all this develops in 20-30 years from now! Fortunately, I'm sure I won't be alive then...lol.

It's better to take your Boy hunting, instead of "Hunting" your Boy.

All our Guns are locked up in cabinets, with the keys put away. Our kids have been taught from an early age, that they don't touch the Gun cabinets.They also know when we go out and shoot, it's done in a safety minded environment. We all take turns.I got my first .22 when I was 6. I'll be the first to admit, I had a lot more freedom with it, than I'd let any kid have now.Our Kids would rather go Hunting or Fishing than ever play a video game (They have none), or sit in front of a TV, which they know what they can watch and cant watch.

Running Arrow Bill":3go59s4p said:
Certherfbeef...respect your comment. Yes, with "most" hunters in the past 20-30 (or 40?) years, teaching their kids to respect guns and teach them to shoot at an early age is perhaps common, and a macho thing...??

However, I still think America is slowly pushing "adulthood" down lower and lower in years with the kids. Perhaps it is a vicarious experience for parents or whatever... I personally wouldn't trust a small kid with a weapon...especially if I am within range...lol. Just my upbringing and opinion. Also, the TV programs (cartoons!) and video games aren't helping any either.

Be interesting to see how all this develops in 20-30 years from now! Fortunately, I'm sure I won't be alive then...lol.

Kids having guns and hunting is not a new thing. Rural youth have been hunting and shooting guns for a many years. I would say if anything the ages are going up of those shooting guns not down, as the liberal mind set has demonized guns.

I have never known anyone that is letting a 7 year old sit on the other side of the field from them as they hunt deer. I am sure Parent and child are right beside each other helping them to make that kill. Isn't much that can go wrong if a father is standing to the side of his son with a gun and directing his movements. Only thing that can happen is a child growing up with a deeper appreciation and respect for a firearm.

Just like any thing else the sooner you TEACH them about something the better it is.

What age would you say is acceptable for a person to own a rifle? The way you use the word weapon makes me wonder if you would be against them owning one at any age?

A NEF Handi-rifle with a synthetic stock will have arecoil pad on it.Get one in .243 or .30/30. The .30/30 will have open sights standard but the hammer must be cocked to see them.Put on a 4X scope and a hammer spur extention.

My first gun was a .22. My dad handed it to me with a brick of shells at the age of 6/7. On the way out the door my grandad told me with a stearn look "boy, don't you shoot none of my cows" you beter know that I was 110% sure of my backdrop before I pulled the trigger. Times have changed, and with my grandson now 9, he and I have been shooting togather for 3 yrs. He is very responsible with his weapon, and knows where the muzzle is pointing at all times. He's a dang good shot to.
Each individual kid should be treated as such. One of my sons was trusted with a gun at age 10, the other was never trusted. He just never was responsable enough to handle a gun. Now at the age of 24 he tells me that I was right, and that he was stupid.(his words)
Start them as soon as there mentalaty allows, with as big a firearm as they can comfortably handly, JMHO,
Mac

lilmac":2m78lim0 said:
My first gun was a .22. My dad handed it to me with a brick of shells at the age of 6/7. On the way out the door my grandad told me with a stearn look "boy, don't you shoot none of my cows" you beter know that I was 110% sure of my backdrop before I pulled the trigger. Times have changed, and with my grandson now 9, he and I have been shooting togather for 3 yrs. He is very responsible with his weapon, and knows where the muzzle is pointing at all times. He's a dang good shot to.
Each individual kid should be treated as such. One of my sons was trusted with a gun at age 10, the other was never trusted. He just never was responsable enough to handle a gun. Now at the age of 24 he tells me that I was right, and that he was stupid.(his words)
Start them as soon as there mentalaty allows, with as big a firearm as they can comfortably handly, JMHO,
Mac
It seems to me that you make a lot of sense.

I think my first gun was one on those fancy .177 models. It was a Daisy, it came with a couple of tubes of BB's. My dad bought if for my Christmas present one year way back when. My dog and I hunted more squirrels and birds with that gun than you can shake a stick at. About the only trouble I got into with it was shooting the wasp nests around the place. Got zapped a few times and learned my lesson there.

Jack

Boone,
If you are close to Kansas City... I live just west of there. You are more than welcome to come by and borrow a gun or two that would fit the needs of those twins. I have a 7,5,4, and 2 year old. Only the 7 and 5 year old hunt right now. They would not do very good with a scoped outfit, but do just fine with open sights. Just be patient with them.
I have a 30/30 .357 and .44 in open site that are all easy to use. PM me if you are interested.

.223 is not a humane or responsible choice for deer sized game.

.243/6mm in bullet weights over 100gr with large game hunting type bullets is. Work up from there.

My first gun was a break action Slavia.177 air rifle, at about age 9. Wish I still had it.

The hours ( weeks worth ) spent in the grainery waiting for a rat to stick it's head out of a hole while I perched in the rafters turned out to be a life-altering experience. ( I never missed, head shots only ).

I believe the best shooters are made, they are not born to it, and the age they start has little to do with it.

You are gonna hear all sorts of brags, "my kid did this etc.. ", do what is right for your kids. Make sure they are responsible and safe gun handlers ( unlike many adults ) and competent marksmen before you let them go to the woods for game.

Says who? Not out to 500 yards, but a fairly close shot in the "Boiler Room" with a 55 grain bullet will do the trick every time.

I've seen hundreds of deer taken by a .223 with no more getting away than some bigger guns.

When you know the capability of your round is less than others, you will tend to make that first shot count. On the other hand some will take a potshot with a larger round. THOSE are the ones I see getting away.

MikeC":3m1hp972 said:

I've seen hundreds of deer taken by a .223 with no more getting away than some bigger guns.

I'd wager a lot more have been taken with a .22LR and a spotlight, that doesn't make it a good deer round.

You are right about shot placement, but anyone with experience knows - manure happens. Give the deer a break, for all your fellow hunter's sake.

Irresponsible weapons choice is the reason laws have been made in some locales to mandate what you can carry for deer.

55 or 60 grains isn't enough. And I say so.

I agree with you on this. A .223 is a bit small for deer especially Missouri deer. It may be ideal in some of the southern states where mature animals MIGHT go over 150 pounds. I live on the Kansas/Missouri boarder and can guarantee you a .223 is too small for our deer. Mature does are well over 150 pounds and bucks will go over 300 sometimes.

Your right about shot placement, but why risk it. I am sure you can bring down an elephant with a .22, but we are talking about young kids here. I cant imagine they are snipers.

Mike,
You are full of it. You have seen 100's of deer taken with it. I seriously doubt that. I have been hunting my entire life, and havent seen more than maybe 20 deer taken in total. What do you do sit up on a hill and watch other people shoot all day? I am sure you could wack Alabama deer with a .223 they are the size of rabbits.....

I still say 20 gauge. Plenty big for deer hunting and a kid can also hunt quail, squirrel etc. 20 Gauge is good all the way around. He's going to need a shotgun eventually anyway. Get him that 20 gauge and take him out to shoot some clays. Regularly.

By the way, I don't intend to get involved in the argument but I had killed well over 20 deer by the time I was 20. I am now 47. There have been seven seasons I limited out with my bow before gun season even started. When you have 6 nephews that hunt, plus your father, grandfather, siblings, uncles and cousins through the years, seeing 100's of deer killed is nothing. I lost count years ago but know I am well over 100 all by myself. The most we ever took off of Grandaddy's place in one day seems like was 8. Most I ever took myself in one day is 3 and I hope to never do that again - too much work.

I recently saw at Academy a youth model Rossi that was a .243 with an interchangeable barrel to make it .410. Both barrels, stock, reciever, whole shabang was like $150.00.

I didn't know you could use centerfire rifles in Kansas.

KANSAS.....Most southern states have 4 month long seasons, so we do see lots of deer killed. MIKEC may be right. I know of one deer processer in N. LA that has been through almost 7500 deer this season so far. He services about 2 or 3 parishes (or to ya'll) counties. And mature deer her routinely go well over 150 lbs. Our does are that and bucks 200-250. Everynow and then there is a 300lb.er But on average smaller than grain fed midwestern bucks.

Kansas wrote:

I am sure you could wack Alabama deer with a .223 they are the size of rabbits.....[/quote]

Obviously, you have never seen some of the Wilcox County deer in Alabama.

Jack

Latest posts