gun question for mikec and others

Help Support CattleToday:

boone

Reaction score
I have a set of 7 year old twins that are dying to deer hunt. What gun would you recommend to start young bucks on that can kill a deer but not kill the kid?? Boone

boone":28pgc72q said:
I have a set of 7 year old twins that are dying to deer hunt. What gun would you recommend to start young bucks on that can kill a deer but not kill the kid?? Boone

44 mag is low recoil in a rifle and plenty big enough for deer.
Mine is less than a 410.

boone":3twux62o said:

Boone I would start them on a 20 gauge with No 1 buckshot. But that can kill a kid. Bird shot can kill a kid.

I didn't get a gun until I was 12 and it was a 20 gauge. I think 7 years old is a bit young. JMHO. You know your situation better than anyone else. But I'd start them on a 20 gauge when I started them.

Crowderfarms":3ecoa13y said:
.243 Handy- Rifle, by New England Firearms. My Boy killed his first Buck this year with his.

Daughter has one of the Handy rifles in .223. Good low cost guns and dependable not much to go wrong with a single shot.

I would not go below 243. My reason is for a less than a well placed shot. Any bad shot can result in an animal runnig far away. Just a little more when you need it.

tom4018":1s1mp1ni said:
Crowderfarms":1s1mp1ni said:
.243 Handy- Rifle, by New England Firearms. My Boy killed his first Buck this year with his.

Daughter has one of the Handy rifles in .223. Good low cost guns and dependable not much to go wrong with a single shot.
There's also the saftey factor with an NEF single shot with their transfer bar system which kepps the gun from firing unless the trigger is pulled. I recommend a .243 Win. caliber and Remington 100 grain Core-Lokt bullet.Do not use any bullet under 95 grains for deer as most are made to be frangible on varmint-size game and easily wound deer.Seven is not too young if the child is big enough and can be supervised well.

boone":1as5gxza said:

Seven year olds with a lethal weapon? Sorry, but IMO I don't think so! Give them water pistols to play cowboys and indians with and then tell them to take out the trash... :shock:

They need to be kids first...later, when they are more mature can start learning to be an adult...JMO.

Just last Christmas, I got my 8 year old grandson a Savage .243 Bolt-Action with 100 grain bullets...he killed a 6 pointer and a doe with it this year, and he never complains about it kicking too hard...it's a good rifle for a younger child...and you've probably found this out before, but if your going to buy a gun for each of the twins...make sure you get them the exact same gun or one of them will whine forever about the other one getting the better gun...I've got 2 sets of twins...I know how they are :lol:

Running Arrow Bill":85o2dcp2 said:
boone":85o2dcp2 said:

Seven year olds with a lethal weapon? Sorry, but IMO I don't think so! Give them water pistols to play cowboys and indians with and then tell them to take out the trash... :shock:

They need to be kids first...later, when they are more mature can start learning to be an adult...JMO.

No water pistols or toy guns in this house! My kids never have had a toy gun I do not allow them. Guns are not toys.

My kids have had 22's and 410's starting at age of 7. I teach them what guns are for and they are kept locked up so they only shoot them under my supervision.

Mine have never did any deer hunting that young so I would not have a good suggestion. I do not think 7 is to young for a gun just to young for my to have patience to take deer hunting. We have went rabbit hunting before with 22's.

I wonder if a 410 with a slug would work? I know at 7 my son was not to eager to shoot his 410 but now at 9 he does not mind it that much, but favors the 22.

I know boone"s not going to turn his kids loose with a gun. My 7yr old hunts with an old 44mag single shot that I bought about 10 year ago. I bought it for a 410. Thats what the guy told me it was. I didnt know it was a 44 till I got it home and was cleaning it. He hunts with me at all times, he is always in eye sight of me.

My choicewould be one of the switch barrel single shots. My preference is for the the T/C Contender but small hands/short fingers can have problems opening them.
The Handirifle would be my second choice. In the past you could get them with a youth length stock and just replace it with a longer stock as the kid gets bigger. For the ranges that a 7-8 year old would be hunting I think that the .44 Nag would be a good first choice. As the experience and skills increase different barrels could be added. They can also be equiped with a shotgun barrel or a muzzle loader barrel for other hunting opportunitys. I don;t know how well the swing for bird or rabbit hunting but it works well for the neighbor for squirrels.

dun

All good advice here. Just remember, those twins will be older next year.

A single shot tends to make someone make the first shot count.

Those Handy rifles will make Dad a good truck gun when they feel they have outgrown it too. ;-)

Lot less kick in an 80 grain 243 than a 100 grain. Do the same job out to 100-150 yards or so.

I started deer hunting when I was 7. I had a Remington 742 Woodmaster in 6mm Remington caliber (still have it).Even though it was semi-automatic my Dad would only allow me to put one shell in until I was about 9 or 10. By that time I was hunting on my own.

I bought my son a Remington Model 7 when he was 9 years old. It is chambered for 7mm-08 and he has had no problem at all with recoil. He has taken a deer every year with it since he has had it. The Model 7 is built for a youth. The one I bought has an 18" barrel. It is a gun that shoots so well and feels so good that I hunt with it every chance I get. It is a pretty gun also with classic Remington lines. It is a "lifetime" gun. It will still appeal to your child when he / she becomes an adult.

My advice is to not skimp on quality. Part of the experience of deer hunting that will keep your kids coming back is making sure they have every chance possible at success. Part of that is having a dependable, accurate firearm.

The one question I have, is what is your states requrement for a minimum caliber for hunting big game? Here the smallest would be a 243. And for that a .243 short mag is pretty good.

kjones":tjn50txm said:
The one question I have, is what is your states requrement for a minimum caliber for hunting big game? Here the smallest would be a 243. And for that a .243 short mag is pretty good.

Any centerfire here. Have shot many a deer with a .223.

It's more about knowing the limitations of your gun and shot placement that counts.

I try to teach kids not to shoot at moving deer. Buggers up more than anything else.

I definitely agree with you. I have seen more moving shots wind up as either gut shot or messing up the hind quarters. As for the .223, if it were legal here I would think about it for my own son.

Persoanly I put the .223 in the same class as the .410. They should be reserved for experirnced hunters. In the adrenalin rush it's too easy to make a marginal hit.

dun

Latest posts