Guess when (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Few pictures from tonight for ya'll -- any more guesses?

Side view
162udderjuly12.jpg

Rear view
162rearviewjuly12.jpg

certherfbeef":1zt2ncgr said:
glover36":1zt2ncgr said:
not to much of an udder for a 2nd calver is she?

In all honesty, she is a nurse cow, her udder is not under the pressure it would be if she was being milked twice a day. The calves keep the pressure off it and therefore it will not be as big as a normal dairy cow of her same age.

Just my opinion.

True. Also, some cows just genetically DO have a shallower udder than others. A cow whose udder floor stays above her hocks is a good thing -- although I'd agree this cow is a bit excessive that way. I'd like to see a little more depth and quite a bit more width, but I won't complain too much. Better this than dragging on the ground.

BTW -- to the best of my knowledge this will be her 3rd calf.

Here she is tonight.

162sidviewjuly13.jpg

162udderjuly13.jpg

162rearviewjuly13.jpg

I honestly thought she'd go this morning...but no, not yet. I'm pretty sure it'll be tonight, just hope she'll do it early in the night so I don't have to get up and check on her quite so many times. :lol: :roll: Seeing as she's pastured outside our renters' house, and they've been in and out all day, I think she's just waiting for some quiet.

Anyone want to guess what time she'll calve?

Haven't seen her laying down since this morning, Beefy, so I don't have one of those pics. She's been up and walking around the pasture all day. I think she's not real fond of her companions (sheep :p) and I see her looking over the fence like there's somewhere else she'd rather be. LOL.

10pm now...I'm incapable of waking up any more often than every two hours so I guess she gets checked next at midnight. :lol:

Nope. That's the tough thing...first time finding out what their idiosyncracies (sp :p) are and just how they bag up and calve. After that at least you know what to expect. My other nurse cow went to her exact due date back in February...this one looks like she'll go 10 days early.

Oh yeah, and nothing at the midnight check, but she's in the corner holding her tail like... I think she needs to be checked in another hour...I'm trying to decide whether to go back to sleep and take my chances with the alarm clock or just stay up. Neither option sounds that good. LOL.

I have decided I like calving them at this time of year more than winter-time...all I have to do is slip on my sneakers and trot out there in my pj's when it comes time to check her, then straight back to bed afterwards. :lol: With 311 I had to pull out the coveralls and boots and trudge through the snow...yep, I know when I prefer calving cows out. LOL.

Tight as a drum, Beefy. She went and calved tonight, btw. 8) :p Sometime between 2:20am and 3:35am (I was checking on her every hour and 15 minutes). Nothing at the 2 o'clock check, wet calf at the 3 o'clock check.

Oh yeah........and that ain't no heifer calf. :eek: :lol2: I'll have to go give my vet a hard time about that one, LOL. But it doesn't really bother me that much, in all honesty, and I learned something priceless -- if I'm making management decisions, I cannot base them on ultrasound information. It's a $150 bull calf compared to a $500 heifer calf, but the information's priceless. I'm glad I calved her out. :nod:

Pictures after the sun comes up. ;-)

Congratulations!!! A $150 bull calve beats nothing. I remember when they were $5 if you went to the dairy and picked 'em up.

Can't wait to see the pics. I predicted, within the next couple of days, back on the 11th. My first response was within a week. I was half right.

Thanks for sharing this story and all the pics.

Congrats on the bull :lol: At least she calved finally, no more waiting to find out what the calf is. I say you could still ship him down here to me!

Here they are. ;-)

162andcalfI.jpg

162andcalfII.jpg

I milked her out a little by hand this morning and bottle fed him, as he didn't appear to have nursed by the time I came home - 7am - from working the morning milking shift. I stored some more colostrum in the freezer just in case I need it too.

My own feeling is this guy's a little small; seeing as 162 IS 1800lbs and she's been on lush pasture for the past 3 months. I don't think he's over 60-65lbs, looking at him...... so I'm wondering if perhaps there's a second one coming. Boss came over to see them this morning, and he thought the same thing, even before I'd said a word. Cow hasn't cleaned yet either. And she did go 10 days early.... dunno. Figure I'll give her to about noon before I try gloving up and having a feel.

As of right now, I think I'll give my vet the benefit of the doubt and perhaps there IS another calf in there, and it's a heifer. lol.

MM - Nice calf, his markings look like they mirror mom! After some of the stories I've read on here about finding a 2nd calf DAYS later, I think I'd be checking her also! Hope everything works out!

Latest posts