Guess my luck ran out

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Yesterday morn we hooked up the stock trailer at 6:30 am for a 3 hr drive southwest to pick up some bred cows. The trip down went smooth. Turned out too smooth.
We got there looked over the group and picked out 9 heavy bred ladies. Loaded them and we were on our way home. The girls settle down for the ride and we didn't even make it a mile before a lady is honkin at me. She says a tire is coming apart. Spin get out and look...all the tires are good, must be dried cow manure falling through the floorboards. We get on the highway and about half hour later I see a tire wobbling in the mirror. I ease off the exit and there's a tire place right there. What fortune! We find a lug sheared off and the other nuts are backin off. They pu a new lug in and hammer down the rest of the nuts. Bak onto the highway and not 2 miles later, I see lugs flying through the air in the mirror. Got off on the shoulder, barely, and the hub only has one lug left. It's Sunday afternoon, a holiday weekend, and no tow shop will haul a loaded trailer on a flat bed. I call the man I bought the cows from, and e brings his trailer down and we transfer the cows into his trailer......right there on the side of i75. Total down time with a load in 90 degree weather, 2hrs
So I take the wheel off my trailer, he limps it back to his house, and I drive 2.5 hrs back north to drop the cows off, hauling tail the whole way, and my truck decides it wants spring a coolant leak. 4 gallons later we get the cows deployed, and I'm headed 3 hrs back south to return his trailer and limp a 3 wheeled trailer some 200 miles home down an interstate.
Get his trailer dropped off, mine hooked back up, and head home at 50 mph. Stopping 2 more times for water for the radiator. And there's only 1/2 inch of clearance on the tireless hub side and the pavement. And no lights in the trailer now from dragging it off the road with no clearance. In the dark. On a holiday weekend.
Finally get home 5 hrs later ( remember it should have been 3)
At 1am. Total time for the day from start to finish..18 hrs.
Ill get a picture up after I get out of bed.

Look at the glass as half full. Other then time and labor you didn;t really lose anything significant, like cows, trailer, truck, etc. and you obvisously got some cows that you like. Sounds more like a draw to me. But I wasn;t there and dealing with the issues either.

Any part of it could have gone real bad. If I hadn't seen the lugs spitting out in time, that could have been real ugly at 70mph. Or if a tire had blown out in the gimpy trailer coming back home. Even at 50.
Draw sounds good to me

I don't really know hg. They were stripped so I'm thinking when I got tires put on it they cross threaded them. I'm going to put new hub assemblies on all the way around.
TT, it was ~200 miles one way. I did that 4 times yesterday.

hooknline":sxlh5ss7 said:
I don't really know hg. They were stripped so I'm thinking when I got tires put on it they cross threaded them. I'm going to put new hub assemblies on all the way around.

I understand which is why i said we are satisfied currently paying the guy in Lexington the $3.00 a mile he charges. Granted the longest haul I've had him make is 130 miles it was still safer than me trying to make it in the 1999 Dodge Ram 3/4 to gas burner which right now is the only truck we own. We just don't haul enough to justify a more reliable rig so the $3 a mile is money ahead for us.

Sounds like a really rough day. Dun's right, things could have got very bad and ugly. It looks like in the pic that the lugs broke off at the hub is that correct?

You got off lucky, good thing you saw things before they got really ugly. You probably know this but those lugs are very easy to replace. New lugs and nuts is a cheap fix compared to dead cows and a totaled truck and trailer.

If that happens again, you can rig a board to hold up the wheel less hub. We had an old stock trailer like that that blew two tires on the way to the panhandle loaded with horses and hay. My husband always carried stuff for in case of break down. He wedged a board and used rope to tie it up until we could limp to a place to repair the tires.

When I replaced the trailer, I bought one with torsion axles. Grateful that you made it home without injury.

Hook, when your getting the new hubs get a spindle also. Weld the spindle to the trailer might need to space it out with a piece of pipe. And put the whole hub assembly and tire on it for a spare. It's the easiest way to tote everything you might need. Also next time bring a come-a-long or chain and binder with you. Wrap it around the axle and bind it up and haul tail for the house. What's wrong with the truck, I kind of figure you have head studs with all them miles on a 6.0. Hope it's something simple.

TennesseeTuxedo":1bbchb57 said:
hooknline":1bbchb57 said:

I understand which is why i said we are satisfied currently paying the guy in Lexington the $3.00 a mile he charges. Granted the longest haul I've had him make is 130 miles it was still safer than me trying to make it in the 1999 Dodge Ram 3/4 to gas burner which right now is the only truck we own. We just don't haul enough to justify a more reliable rig so the $3 a mile is money ahead for us.

:nod: Its stories like this that remind me why I hire haulers.

Old lugs are already out. I'm just going to replace all the bearings and all the lugs and nuts just to be safe. Don't want that nightmare again
I plan to do just that hg. Most of my trailers are set up that way except this one. Wish I had the whole hub assembly with me yesterday. Had spares, bearings, grease. Only thing missing was lugs.

I almost forgot. To top it off, I got a phone call about 5pm yesterday too that a tree came down on a fence where my replacement heifers are and the landowner was going to count calfs. Luckily they were all there still.

I hate those trailer" wrecks." ;(. Next time someone honks and tells you that you got a problem with a trailer tire ...believe em! I like the spare hub idea.

She was well intentioned but the tire is fine. The rim is all wallowed out though.

highgrit":23xuf5ll said:
Hook, when your getting the new hubs get a spindle also. Weld the spindle to the trailer might need to space it out with a piece of pipe. And put the whole hub assembly and tire on it for a spare. It's the easiest way to tote everything you might need. Also next time bring a come-a-long or chain and binder with you. Wrap it around the axle and bind it up and haul tail for the house. What's wrong with the truck, I kind of figure you have head studs with all them miles on a 6.0. Hope it's something simple.

+1 on this 2" ratchet strap works to.

Latest posts