Grinding Deer

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I use an electric grinder its not commercial just a small one I bought off ebay I like it a lot and ordered a 2nd one. I grinded about 30lbs of deer in it. I hate the silver skin constantly getting wrapped up in it and having to stop and clean it out but its still better than hand grinding. I use the hind quarters to grind up and trying to get the silver skin off sure waste a lot of meat so I decided just cut the meat off and grind it and then just keep taking the silver skin off the cutting blade and auger ever so often. Does anyone else just grind with the skin on or do you try to cut it all off before grinding ?

ResizedImage_1447945199278_zpstom5km2m.jpg

I can tell from the photo that your meat is not cold enough. You are emulsifying the meat and not cutting it. You need to put it in the freezer longer and put your grinder throat in the freezer too. If you do that things will go a lot better. Your meat needs to be almost frozen so the knife can cut the silver skin and meat properly.

I always de-muscled the hams and took the majority of the silver skin off before grinding. I like Joe's idea though. With half a beef and half a hog a year I don't grind any more. Keep the loins and make sausage out of the rest of the deer has been my norm for several years.

Jogeephus":2cbjtxw5 said:
I can tell from the photo that your meat is not cold enough. You are emulsifying the meat and not cutting it. You need to put it in the freezer longer and put your grinder throat in the freezer too. If you do that things will go a lot better. Your meat needs to be almost frozen so the knife can cut the silver skin and meat properly.

Thanks I wondered if it was frozen enough but didn't want it so frozen I couldn't cut it off the bone. I didn't know about the throat either. I will try that thanks Jo.

J&D Cattle":ynrupn76 said:
I always de-muscled the hams and took the majority of the silver skin off before grinding. I like Joe's idea though. With half a beef and half a hog a year I don't grind any more. Keep the loins and make sausage out of the rest of the deer has been my norm for several years.

De-muscle was a PITA so I just cut and chunked it in there

Freezing will help a lot. I gave up years ago trying to get all of the silver skin etc. out of the meat. I ended up with as much scrap as meat. The other thing that will help enormously is buying a good grinder. Those small grinders just aren't tight enough between the blade and the plate. I had one years ago and finally got tired of having to go through a lot of extra steps just to make hamburger. With the one I have now, a very old and very heavy Enterprise, if I can cram it down the throat it'll grind it. The one exception is pork fat. Back fat is fine, but the slimy type fat needs to be frozen or it wraps around the blade.

Jogeephus, is dead on about the freezing. Sky you bone the meat out, chunk it up then put it it the freezer. You want the outside frozen solid, and I like my fat completely frozen.
Next tip is to keep your blade sharp and plate flat. A piece of glass with sandpaper on it will do the job, just hit them a lick before you use them each time.

skyhightree1":3kvnjpt8 said:
I use an electric grinder its not commercial just a small one I bought off ebay I like it a lot and ordered a 2nd one. I grinded about 30lbs of deer in it. I hate the silver skin constantly getting wrapped up in it and having to stop and clean it out but its still better than hand grinding. I use the hind quarters to grind up and trying to get the silver skin off sure waste a lot of meat so I decided just cut the meat off and grind it and then just keep taking the silver skin off the cutting blade and auger ever so often. Does anyone else just grind with the skin on or do you try to cut it all off before grinding ?

ResizedImage_1447945199278_zpstom5km2m.jpg
Does everyone on the planet have one of those green and yellow John Deere coffee cups?

I agree with Ram. I cut out the different cuts while I debone and take the odd bits and put in the freezer before grinding. When its nearly frozen the meat will cut nicely and what you should see are individual strings of spaghetti like meat coming out your plate rather than a glob of meat like your picture shows. And, keep your knife sharp and your plate flat.

You will find no silver skin in my meat guarantee.
I separate every muscle and skin of the silver skin. The only exception is the shanks. Its very time consuming but we'll worth it. Plus it will grind better. If you're grinding the hams your grinding some of the best steaks on the deer.

fenceman":18d894v7 said:
You will find no silver skin in my meat guarantee.
I separate every muscle and skin of the silver skin. The only exception is the shanks. Its very time consuming but we'll worth it. Plus it will grind better. If you're grinding the hams your grinding some of the best steaks on the deer.

I prefer sausage over the steaks :lol2: I use to grind the WHOLE deer including loins. Since I started making teriyaki jerky my family wont let me grind the loins anymore. I make breakfast sausage maple flavored and deer brats. I prefer those to steaks.

Latest posts