deer tenderloin

Help Support CattleToday:

Beat it with a meat mallet till it has the consisity of cube steak. Soak in buttermilk 24 hours, then roll in a mixture of flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Fry in a cast iron pan with plenty of hot oil. Make a pan of gravy with the drippings to pour over it. Do not check cholesterol for several days.

Use pork chop Shake and Bake spices, and bake till the center is 120 degrees and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving. A typical backstrap takes about 35 to 40 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees.
This is probably my second favorite behind fried, but anything fried is better in my book.

hillbilly beef man":fntt8htc said:
Beat it with a meat mallet till it has the consisity of cube steak. Soak in buttermilk 24 hours, then roll in a mixture of flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Fry in a cast iron pan with plenty of hot oil. Make a pan of gravy with the drippings to pour over it. Do not check cholesterol for several days.

Yep. What we call chicken fried steak.

It doesn't need much. I fry in a blazing hot pan for about 30 seconds per side for a piece about 1/2" thick. Pull, add salt and pepper, and let it sit for about a minute. Should be somewhere between rare and med rare.

M.Magis":3rc683yk said:
It doesn't need much. I fry in a blazing hot pan for about 30 seconds per side for a piece about 1/2" thick. Pull, add salt and pepper, and let it sit for about a minute. Should be somewhere between rare and med rare.

I agree with this....for the tenderloin.....but tenderloin is not the backstrap. The loin is the backstrap. Did you miss the beautiful tenderloin on the inside of the ribs when you were butchering?

hdrockn":2yvm3bq2 said:
M.Magis":2yvm3bq2 said:

I agree with this....for the tenderloin.....but tenderloin is not the backstrap. The loin is the backstrap. Did you miss the beautiful tenderloin on the inside of the ribs when you were butchering?

I do the same for both.

Crock pot. Put the tenderloin in there. Cut up some potatos & onions throw it all in there. Put enough water in there so everything is covered. If you like seasoned salt or just regular salt sprinkle some in. Turn the crock pot on high for 6 hours. If you have any left by the next day & have kids that don't like the term "left overs" you can add in green beans & diced tomatoes tell them its stew because apparently it having a new title of "stew" instead of "leftovers" makes it suddenly acceptable to eat again.

If you want to be fancy you can put slices in the tenderloin. Slice up a apple & put the slices of apple in the slices you cut in the tenderloin. Sprinkle brown sugar on top. Put in some water high for 6 hours but keep a eye on it to add water or turn to low if its cooked thru after 4 hours. The slices in the tenderloin seems to make it cook faster.

tater74":3uj49bwu said:
Roll the whole loin in coarse ground pepper and grill over coals until medium rare. Slice and eat. Wonderful.

^^^^This, except wrap it in bacon.

Not to get off topic but why don't you see back strap for sale? I see lots of venison sausage but never back strap or chili meat.

M.Magis":1du3tczy said:

This or. Cut into medallions, wrap in bacon, throw in smoker/grill.

Latest posts