Grass tetany

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
What practical steps can be taken for prevention? I've got out free choice high mag mineral, sweetlyx brand. That's all I do, is that enough or should I be doing more?

IF they are not eating the mineral at the recommended rate,you might try mixing a little soybean meal or cottonseed meal in it.I once had the feed mill mix MagOx in with rolled corn and wet molasas when I had to feed supplimental corn.

I can't tell that they are using the mineral too much at all. Going to keep a close eye on it

They generally hit he mineral when they need to, so if they hit it hard, they probably need it. Mine hit the mineral hard when on stalks or if I feed less than ideal hay..making up for what's lacking.

I have also seen where the brand of High Mag matters. Some brands they just won't seem to touch..palatability??

Limiting the volume of pot ash applied to pastures will help prevent grass tetany. Additionally, if you can introduce the stock to a pasture gradually, you can often reduce potential cases. It's more hassle than many people want to or can do, but if you only let them out part of the day and slowly work them up over a couple days or a week, you will give them time to adjust to the lush forage.

All we have ever used was HiMag. We use it year around now. All of our pastures are drilled in ryegrass so the cows are never really off the green altogether. I did have some adjoining new ground we kept them off of until the ryegrass and fescue got well established. The cows did not have any issues when we opened that part up top grazing.
If they have been on hay only it would be nice to let them on the green a little at a time. Younger cattle seem to have more trouble with new grass than the older gals.
One thing I have noticed on HiMag. Some weeks they eat just a little. The next week they can't get enough. It is important
not to allow them to run out. It takes a while for them to rebuild if they have time gaps on when it is available.

I always mix it with salt. I prefer blocks as my cattle are are used to blocks. Just pick up regular mineral blocks and replace with himag when needed. Blocks can be hard to get sometimes though. Couldn't find them locally at all this year. I put high mag in empty protein tubs, witch the cows are used to and mixed a few range cubes in. They see the tubs go check them out, root around for the cubes.I feel like their getting some mineral in process. Also having clover in pasture helps provide magnesium. I really wish someone would make a low protein himag tub with the bloatgaurd chemical in it, That would be perfect for me

fenceman":1319j2o2 said:
I always mix it with salt. I prefer blocks as my cattle are are used to blocks. Just pick up regular mineral blocks and replace with himag when needed. Blocks can be hard to get sometimes though. Couldn't find them locally at all this year. I put high mag in empty protein tubs, witch the cows are used to and mixed a few range cubes in. They see the tubs go check them out, root around for the cubes.I feel like their getting some mineral in process. Also having clover in pasture helps provide magnesium. I really wish someone would make a low protein himag tub with the bloatgaurd chemical in it, That would be perfect for me
I think Smartlic makes some, they also have them with IGR

Latest posts