Grass producers: COGS, time to market, finishing greens

Help Support CattleToday:

hueyrescue

Reaction score
I posted this in the Beginners forum with no response...maybe this is the better place.

For those of you who run grass-fed operations, what do you find is an average cost of goods sold per pound (leaving out any labor costs)?

Also, what is the typically market cycle (in days) from birth/purchase to finish to slaughter for your grass operation?

Finally, what do you use to finish? I've read several strategies in Stockman's- legumes, leaf corn, brassicas- what are most of you using?

Thanks!

What one does in a given operation in one part of the country with a certain breed is not relative to what your conditions will be with your breed in your location. There are way to many variables for one to come up with an average.
Stocking rates, fertilizer requirements, breed of cattle, sire of calves, weather conditions, etc. will all have reflections on the economics of a given cattle operation, grass fed or not.

What one does in a given operation in one part of the country with a certain breed is not relative to what your conditions will be with your breed in your location. There are way to many variables for one to come up with an average.
Stocking rates, fertilizer requirements, breed of cattle, sire of calves, weather conditions, etc. will all have reflections on the economics of a given cattle operation, grass fed or not.

Interesting. Maybe I should rephrase my question. How does one accomplish any meaningful due dilligence to determine the profit potential of grass-fed from a business perspective? That is basically what I am trying to learn at this point. Thanks!

here is how I would look at it... 5.50 corn or 2lbs of gain per day on forages. Simple I know but thats how I like it.

Almost every cattleman is in the grass fed business, unless they creep feed there calves. This is up to the weaning stage. I have had cattle that would put on 1 to 4 lbs. per day on grass with no supplement. It was dependent on the genetics of the animal, the available forage, the amount of rain, and the stocking rate. The cost of the forage for me was simply the price I paid for lease pasture. The forage is native and not fertilized. Others in a different situation may have planted certain forages and must add the cost.
If I were you I would go to my county agent and find out what the best forage would be for your area for the season that you plan to finish the calves. Calculate what it would cost to plantand fertilize the acreage. Then figure out how many calves you could normally stock on that given pasture. Again your county agent should be able to help as he is familiar with your area. Then it is a choice for you as to what breed and genetics you stock with. You may choose fast gain leaner type of calves, or you may choose a slower gain high quality animals. Good luck finding the perfect calf of fast gain and well marbled.