Grass-fed Beef Cattle Genetics 101

Help Support CattleToday:

Northern Rancher":2lxe7oa6 said:
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59997

I'm not going to reboil allan Nation or Kit Pharo's porridege for you but here are some pics of cattle that will eat off straight grass-they are middle of the road enough to be able to go into a feedlot if need be.if your going to put all your eggs in one basket you better have deep pockets or a small basket. The genetics of the cattle are just one leg of the table-if you aren't a good stockman or grass manager your hoped from the start. grass fed cattle 101 is about a ten year course not a chat room disertation. Our cattle run as far north as there are in saskatchewan were about 900miles straight north of Billings,Montana.

Good for you NR. Glad it's working....now let's load'em up and run'em from here to El Paso and watch'em gain.

You know with all the cutting/pasting/mashing and bashing the truest quote of all is 'the eye of the master fattens the cattle' think it through as it's probably as close to right as you will find. Learning how to run grasscattle from another man's bible is like trying to run a marriage off a self help book. it might work in theory but not hardly in practice. Thank god the cattle business still needs some shitty boots and skinned knuckles to run. Most people whose knowledge is worth much dispense it in small amounts not spewing it out like a busted hydraulic hose.

Northern Rancher":2vx1d016 said:
You know with all the cutting/pasting/mashing and bashing the truest quote of all is 'the eye of the master fattens the cattle' think it through as it's probably as close to right as you will find. Learning how to run grasscattle from another man's bible is like trying to run a marriage off a self help book. it might work in theory but not hardly in practice. Thank god the cattle business still needs some shitty boots and skinned knuckles to run. Most people whose knowledge is worth much dispense it in small amounts not spewing it out like a busted hydraulic hose.

That is profound. :tiphat:
But take my opinion with a grain of salt--ed says I'm an idiot. Some days he's right. Again :tiphat:

TexasBred":z7iw5eba said:
ed if you would shut up long enough to do a little bit of listening and understanding you'd probably have a more attentive audience and they would think much better of you. You may have a message but nobody here's it because you preface it with so many descriptive adjectives about your audience. In other words you act like a jack ass anytime someone in the class asks a question or disagrees with you, look down your nose at anyone that does not now operate like you claim to operate but would probably eat the biggest grain fed steak on earth if you were starving. In short you're a hypocrit and don't fit.....go find another screen name like you've done so many times before, take some attitude adjustment therapy and come back with a bit more flexibility. You just might get one or two to listen to you....I'd give it a try.

Some valid points, Texas...

One thing I learned in my 3 university degrees as well as a bunch of practical experience...

is that...

Any articulate person can be a "presenter", as long as they have a "script." Also, that about anything can be published, researched, or commented on... The true test of "knowledge" is when the individual has a track record scientifically, academically, practically, and is respected by his/her peers. "Peer Review" is present. That said, without knowledge of one's background, training, education, and experience...dialog is just that. And, "cut and paste" is always a nice touch for those as well as a judicious dose of name dropping...lol. I had my share of college professors that "read the script"...but only a very few that were trully competent and respected by their peers in their field...

Three University degrees are VERY commendable !! Your brilliant synopsis, in the above post, sounds a lot like a description of our present day PRESIDENT !!! :tiphat:

talldog":5n2v1da6 said:
Three University degrees are VERY commendable !! Your brilliant synopsis, in the above post, sounds a lot like a description of our present day PRESIDENT !!! :tiphat:

LOL! I assure you, I'm NOT an advocate of Obama and his lieutenants!

Otherwise, my post was an offbeat attempt to counteract some of the "unidentified" poster(s) that seem to have diarrhea of the mouth without identifying their credibility (or lack of it)...

Guess we're all practicing our First Amendment Rights... :clap:

Running Arrow Bill":7funnfbu said:
talldog":7funnfbu said:

LOL! I assure you, I'm NOT an advocate of Obama and his lieutenants!

Otherwise, my post was an offbeat attempt to counteract some of the "unidentified" poster(s) that seem to have diarrhea of the mouth without identifying their credibility (or lack of it)...

Guess we're all practicing our First Amendment Rights... :clap:
Advocate---No intent--- Rheteric described in your post ---Obama personified !!!!!! Have a great day !! :tiphat: