Graining One

Help Support CattleToday:

It's been so dang hot this summer, and no rain, and a Brangus x steer…on grain since March, heavily (I'm sure not as heavy as many, though) since mid-May. Processing date is Thursday, he is 19 months and a big ol' puppy dog. But it's his turn to feed folks, and I'm praying that his lack of stressed life makes him tasty regardless.

Attachments

• CFF72C72-1BD3-451F-A1C0-948DACE9EAC3.jpeg
    CFF72C72-1BD3-451F-A1C0-948DACE9EAC3.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 90E98468-EE44-42AD-B66C-60C6206A9FDA.jpeg
    90E98468-EE44-42AD-B66C-60C6206A9FDA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
hmm 5+4 = 9 lbs twice a day 9x2 = 18 lbs total not 27
or
9 lbs each twice a day = 18 lbs each or 36 lbs total per day
I just don't know how you guys can make that kind of feed cost work. I certainly could never do it.

I've always raised easy keepers, sold anything that didn't retain their milk fat and lay the fat on after weaning, and finished an easy keeper on maybe a couple or three pounds of dairy ration a couple of times a day while on pasture. 45 to 60 days.

36 pounds a day is way too expensive for me. I'd rather do it with genetics.

Oops

3 scoops corn for 15lbs
3 scoops honey grain for 12 lbs

Morning and evening.

O dear lord. That's 54lbs a day!
No wonder my wallet is empty...

Edit.. I updated last post too

The jersey really don't need that. I should pull her outta there and put her somewhere else. My other pen is occupied tho

I just don't know how you guys can make that kind of feed cost work. I certainly could never do it.

I've always raised easy keepers, sold anything that didn't retain their milk fat and lay the fat on after weaning, and finished an easy keeper on maybe a couple or three pounds of dairy ration a couple of times a day while on pasture. 45 to 60 days.

36 pounds a day is way too expensive for me. I'd rather do it with genetics.
Math wasn't right. I corrected myself.

54 lbs. But to be fair, I'm feeding one that really doesn't need that much

I've always raised easy keepers, sold anything that didn't retain their milk fat and lay the fat on after weaning
1st start by finishing steers that have been background, not beef cows.
Dairy rations are for dairy cattle.

1st start by finishing steers that have been background, not beef cows.
Dairy rations are for dairy cattle.
"1st start by finishing steers that have been background, not beef cows." That's an assumption. I've probably finished young bulls more than anything else.

"Dairy rations are for dairy cattle." The difference in cost and what the ingredients are make it worth the money. Have you ever tried it? No... don't answer that. I'm not here to argue. You do you and I'll do me.

Just tagging you guys so you'll be sure to see our updates. My feed regimen is above.

Thanks for everyone's input! Greatly appreciated!

@Bestoutwest we should post ribeye pics this fall!!
I'll try to remember to do that. I have been taking pics of him every week (except 1, oops) to see the progress. I'll post those when I'm done and he's gone to slaughter.

"1st start by finishing steers that have been background, not beef cows." That's an assumption. I've probably finished young bulls more than anything else.

"Dairy rations are for dairy cattle." The difference in cost and what the ingredients are make it worth the money. Have you ever tried it? No... don't answer that. I'm not here to argue. You do you and I'll do me.

Exactly, when they pay my bills I'll follow their orders and abide by their suggestions. Until then, I'll listen or read the suggestions, and completely ignore the orders.

Thank you all! Y'all have convinced me to never try to finish cattle because I can't afford it. 😂
I'll have $120 in the grain when I'm done. I'm selling 3/4 of him at $3.25/lb hanging. He has to have put on 50lbs for me to have made my investment back. If he can't make 50lbs of weight in 60 days of 5#/day of grain, there's something wrong. Everything I've read it's 3-5# grain = 1lb weight gain, and that's on top of normal ADG. 300 lbs of grain = 60-100 lbs of gain. That's by my math.

I'll have $120 in the grain when I'm done. I'm selling 3/4 of him at $3.25/lb hanging. He has to have put on 50lbs for me to have made my investment back. If he can't make 50lbs of weight in 60 days of 5#/day of grain, there's something wrong. Everything I've read it's 3-5# grain = 1lb weight gain, and that's on top of normal ADG. 300 lbs of grain = 60-100 lbs of gain. That's by my math.
Best wishes for a profit. Next year looking good if we can all get some rain. Texas cattle sticks are down 30% from peak.

Might want to think about raising your prices:).

Most around here are $3.50-4.00/lb hanging weight.

Just tagging you guys so you'll be sure to see our updates. My feed regimen is above.

Thanks for everyone's input! Greatly appreciated!

@Bestoutwest we should post ribeye pics this fall!!
Looking good. I have a hard time evaluating finish from side views, but she's definitely getting there.

Stick around and they will have you convinced you can't afford to have cattle at all. Lol.
Watched a video by Ron Gill, a professor at A&M. Was a bit shocked when he said, "You are most likely not going to make money at cattle. Determining what losses are acceptable is probably what you need to do."

I take that to mean I'm in the land business and happen to run cattle for tax purposes and for enjoyment. Hard to quantify having your own space where you can hunt, fish, shoot, etc. privately, and cattle can improve your land if you run them correctly, so there's that.

But most of us are probably not shrewd enough to really and truly make a profit at this.

But it's fun!

Really enjoy the pictures of the grain-finished cattle.

I do it so much easier, red poll cow, calve out to good beef sire, butcher at nine months straight off milk and grass. Meat is as good as any. Red polls work because they have a good milk supply but also throw beefy calves. Jersey or guernsey could be an option but just don't get the beefy calf. Sometimes i will grain for 30 days after weaning if sending off to slaughter for low stress on the animal.

For those that question the dollars involved in feeding cattle. look at the numbers reported for today on a closeout from the

INPUTSTOTAL$$CWT
750 # Feeder Steer OKC 150 days ago1,162.50155.00
Cost of Gain 600 pounds842.031.40
Estimated Interest(Prime + 1%)43.93
Resulting Breakeven2,048.46151.74
Current 5 Area Weighted Average Price1,953.45144.70
Net Profit / Loss-95.01-7.04

For those that question the dollars involved in feeding cattle. look at the numbers reported for today on a closeout from the

INPUTSTOTAL$$CWT
750 # Feeder Steer OKC 150 days ago1,162.50155.00
Cost of Gain 600 pounds842.031.40
Estimated Interest(Prime + 1%)43.93
Resulting Breakeven2,048.46151.74
Current 5 Area Weighted Average Price1,953.45144.70
Net Profit / Loss-95.01-7.04
That's how the farmer feeders maintain their competitive advantage. They are insulated from those grain costs.

If you don't have an angle on keeping grain prices in check, the feedlot business seems to be a quick way to lose a fortune.

Latest posts