Government bailout thread?

Help Support CattleToday:

By Richard Craver | Journal Reporter

Published: September 25, 2008

For John Allison, the high-risk rollers on Wall Street are getting too much of the ear of Congress and having too much say in resolving the financial nightmare that they created.

That's why Allison, the chairman and chief executive of BB&T Corp., submitted a 14-point letter Tuesday to all 535 members of Congress with a simple message regarding the proposed $700 billion bailout.

"There is no panic on Main Street and in sound financial institutions," he wrote. "The problems are in high-risk financial institutions and on Wall Street."

He said that it is important that "Congress hear from the well-run financial institutions, as most of the concerns have been focused on the problem companies. It is extremely important that the bailout not damage well-run companies." Allison's opinion is seconded by local community-bank officials and community-bank trade groups.

"Community bankers did not create this financial crisis, but our banks and communities are clearly feeling the impact," the Independent Community Bankers of America said in a statement. "As the fundamental drivers of local economies -- we could be in a strong position to help resolve this crisis."

BB&T, the nation's 14th-largest financial institution with $136 billion in assets, hasn't strayed far from its beginnings as an Eastern North Carolina community bank. BB&T and Allison also hold fast to a value system that extols such virtues as trust, respect, integrity, pride, reason and justice.

And compared with some of its rivals, such as Wachovia Corp., which was aggressive with alternative-mortgage products, BB&T kept its bottom line fairly immune from the recent roller-coaster ride of many major banks. BB&T posted net income of $428 million in the second quarter despite having to take a $330 million provision for credit losses in the quarter.

Among the points that Allison made in his letter were:

□ Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae are the primary cause of the mortgage crisis.

□ The market-correction process eliminates irrational competitors, such as Countrywide Financial Corp., a subprime-mortgage lender that's been bought by Bank of America Corp.

□ A significant and immediate tax credit for buying homes "would be a far less expensive, and more effective, cure for the mortgage market and financial system than the proposed rescue plan" that Allison said would primarily benefit Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley.

□ "This is a housing-value crisis. It does not make economic sense to purchase credit-card and automobile loans as part of the bailout."

□ Protecting the banking system is an established government function. "It is completely unclear why the government needs to, or should, bail out insurance companies, investment banks, hedge funds and foreign companies," he wrote.

Allison said that he disagreed with efforts to limit executive compensation.

This is not the first time that Allison and BB&T have taken a stand on a controversial economic plan.

In January 2006, BB&T said that it would not make loans to commercial developers planning private projects on land seized from private homeowners by local governments.

Buddy Howard, an analyst with Equity Research Services, said that Allison is "dead right on some points, wrong on others." He particularly agreed with Allison's position on the housing-value crisis.

Howard did disagree with Allison on Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae being the source of the financial crisis.

"They are convenient scapegoats, and certainly they had many problems," Howard said. "But the real culprit that led to the underpinning of the real-estate market was the huge inroads made by investment banks and other nongovernment-sponsored enterprises into the subprime market."

Edward Zajicek, an associate economics professor at Winston-Salem State University, said that many of Allison's points "are well taken."

"The government is trying to prop up two to three large investment banks at a cost to taxpayers and significant weakening of healthy commercial banks who are almost forced to take over those doubtful assets," Zajicek said.

"The role of the Federal Reserve System is to protect the soundness of the banking system, and not to bail out investment bankers."

■ Richard Craver can be reached at 727-7376 or at [email protected].

At present, our esteemed representatives in the house have vote to destroy what is left of our economy. Some 11 votes short of passing the relief bill. Voting is not yet closed but it doesn't look good.

Well it's done. Those of you that have government jobs and can't be fired, congradulations. For the rest of you, enjoy the time you have left at yours.

1982vett":26v600ha said:
Well it's done. Those of you that have government jobs and can't be fired, congradulations. For the rest of you, enjoy the time you have left at yours.

About 90% of voters were against the plan. Maybe some reps. finally listened to the voters...now they can go back and work on a better one. This was their "Pet Plan" to begin with.

TexasBred":2ik3cy3e said:
1982vett":2ik3cy3e said:

About 90% of voters were against the plan. Maybe some reps. finally listened to the voters...now they can go back and work on a better one. This was their "Pet Plan" to begin with.

I agree TB its about time they they did something right . I have been on the phone to my representatives office several times in the past week trying to find out how he was going to vote. But he is running unopposed this fall so I'M sure he kissed pelois back side and voted for the bailout .

My family has never had an abundance of wealth, so I could be wrong in my assumptions. Far to many people are living off credit. It is pretty much gone for now. Without credit consumers will not have means to make purchases of things they need as well as things they don't need. Merchandise will have to be marked down, put on sale, to get rid of it (if it can even be sold on sale). Means to make payroll cease to exist. Employees are put out of a job magnifying the problem of consumers without means to make purchases.

As distasteful as this "bail-out" bill was, I think it was better than waiting for things to get worse before trying to plug the leak in the dam. Far starters, if it had worked, the government stood to make some pretty good coin and had a provision to recoup losses from the financial industry in 5 years. Now, they are at a point they are still going to have to do something, instead of a small leak they will now have a breach that will make New Orleans look like a pool party. Of all the times they have turned their backs on the will of their constituents, they have to pick this one. All for a vote to enable them to come back and put the screws to the people they are supposed to represent. The bright side might be a flood of illegals heading south to a better economy.

The DOW closed down 738, NASDQ closed down 199, and S&P down 102. As stock prices go down it will soon effect bond ratings of these companies causing credit defaults. Soon they will be failing like the banks are now.

So listening to a bunch of constituents that can't take care of their own well being without the help of handouts from the government was the wrong thing to do today. That is my opinion. And yes, I realize a lot of people that can take care of themselves without the help of the government handouts opposed making an investment in stabilizing the US economy.

I hope I'm wrong and was saved from my own stupidity today.

WORANCH":23qn74kp said:
TexasBred":23qn74kp said:
1982vett":23qn74kp said:

I agree TB its about time they they did something right . I have been on the phone to my representatives office several times in the past week trying to find out how he was going to vote. But he is running unopposed this fall so I'M sure he kissed pelois back side and voted for the bailout .

Exactly. There is a huge hole in the water tank. Throwing 7 billion gallons in there doesn't result in having a tank of water. Fix the hole, then try to fill it.

1982vett":5nvwj7at said:
So listening to a bunch of constituents that can't take care of their own well being without the help of handouts from the government was the wrong thing to do today. That is my opinion. And yes, I realize a lot of people that can take care of themselves without the help of the government handouts opposed making an investment in stabilizing the US economy.

I can take care of my own well being . I dont need a hand out from the goverment .

I didnt buy a home I could'nt pay for .

Let the market correct itself . It might hurt for awhile but we will be better off in the long run .And or kids and grandkids will not have to pay for this .....

There is a VERY strong feeling among the people that this buyout is a bad deal, all around.
Too much money floating around with too little accountability.
We don't understand the arcane world of high finance, and we don't care to put a lot of money into something we don't understand. Personally, I feel like the wrong people will be rewarded. Banks fail--new banks rise. Likely the new ones will be better managed. And a down payment will get a loan in the toughest times. Easy credit will dry up--credit will not go away.
The house of reps is playing the role the founders envisioned.
If some well placed tax money will spare us a depression, I'm all for that. I fear we could spend the money and still get the depression. I sure cannot stand that.
We live in interesting times.

I'm stuck in an odd situation at present. We can afford our home, but everything else seems to be going up so fast, and what with fuel, and everything else that high fuel prices bring, plus maintaining two households because my husband works out of town and we didn't want to sell in a depressed market, and the fact that our retirement accounts are bleeding heavily, well, it wouldn't take long to make things pretty bad very quickly.

My neighbor's place has been on the market on and off for two years. I think he might have sold it, we certainly were not in a position to buy it. That would be a good thing because if he can sell, so can we. I saw him cleaning out what was left over the weekend. We didn't get a chance to talk to him about it. The only good thing is that maybe if we can get this place sold we can get something else for less money.

We have to do something soon though. You can buy less and less with the same money, and even when you get a raise, it really can't keep up with the cost of living. I am willing to see it through. I don't believe that we should just rescue these idiots. Not if their execs are gonna walk out of it with millions. I am hoping that something better will come of this. I need to find out how our representative voted on this issue. Old Chet is up for re-election here pretty soon.

I can always move into my parents house. It's paid for and I can get it for a song. It won't help with my two household situation, but it would give us some breathing room.

Lord help this country.

Probably won't be the last to jump in front of a train.

Herefordsire, do you see a deflationary period as this mess clears and the dust settles?

ga. prime":1acdzszj said:
Probably won't be the last to jump in front of a train.

Herefordsire, do you see a deflationary period as this mess clears and the dust settles?

The only way we can get out of this mess is to print greenbacks like they are on the verge of extinction. This will make prices rise. This will debase our currency and dilute all outstanding currency meaning it will take more dollars to buy the same item (watch the CRB uptrend). If this fails, by foreigners not buying our debt, yes, everything will deflate, and we will probably be in the food line. I don't think foreigners will have any choice but to buy our debt. China is still pegged. There are not too many places to put truckloads of cash except in US Treasuries, for now, because they can handle the volume. 3 month Treasury rates should move to zero percent, maybe tomorrow.

WORANCH":zk8wjf0c said:
1982vett":zk8wjf0c said:

I can take care of my own well being . I dont need a hand out from the goverment .

I didnt buy a home I could'nt pay for .

Let the market correct itself . It might hurt for awhile but we will be better off in the long run .And or kids and grandkids will not have to pay for this .....

Hope this link works but it might not seeing it is from a paid subscription site. The man has been right about the home mortgage crisis and the asleep at the wheel Fed Governors. If the link doesn't work I'll see if I can do a cut and paste. http://www.thestreet.com/p/rmoney/jimcr ... 39909.html

This post was on JPM message board via Yahoo:

I am extremely angry about the FDIC seizing Washington Mutual just before the bailout plan was to be passed.

The CEO, Alan Fishman, stated as of Monday, Sept 22nd, in a letter to shareholders that the company's liquidity was above the minimum for well capitalized banks. This company had $380 B in assets, $143 B in deposits and earned $2 B per quarter on interest income. Fishman said the company had access to $50 B in cash if necessary. Fishman said the company was in better shape than being reported numerous times, and also said Wamu could sustain operations thru 2010.

Here is an email received from the Investor Relations Dept. just 30 mins before the FDIC/JPM announcement came out on Thursday!

Concerned Shareholder:

Thank you for your interest and genuine concern. We know that WaMu has been in the press lately and we appreciate your questions, but we have a long-standing policy of not commenting on media stories.

WaMu has strong fundamentals with an ample supply of funds on hand to meet the needs of our customers and our day-to-day operations. WaMu's business is funded largely through its deposits, and we also have access to billions of dollars from the Federal Home Loan Bank system. Our capital ratios continue to be well in excess of the levels that government regulators require of "well capitalized" institutions.

As the stock price continues to see pressure, management is working hard to restore investor and customer confidence. For your reassurance, attached is our CEO Alan Fishman's personal letter in which he reiterates his belief in the strength of our company.

We're enouraged by the direction of the plan proposed by the President, Treasury and the Federal Reserve to support the troubled financial markets. We look forward to seeing the details as the plan is further developed by Congress. This plan should assist in providing stability to our financial markets and should provide a mechanism for an orderly transition of troubled illiquid assets.

Sincerely,

The Washington Mutual Investor Relations Team

If Alan Fishman was telling the truth, why would the FDIC management decide they are going to wipe out shareholders without any prior notice? Nothing was said publicly - like you have 5 days to comply, at least that would have given all of us time to exit and recoup some of our investment back. Plus, the company was sold for $1.9 B not including the $31 B in debt JP Morgan will assume. The bailout bill will cover that debt making this purchase a sweetheart deal for $1.9 B.

Something here doesn't sit right with me or other shareholders. This was an orchestrated plan between the FDIC and JPMorgan to steal from the shareholders! A conspiricy to commit bank fraud, if you will!
I respect the fact that the FDIC must take action to protect the reserves, but not giving public notice or making the public aware of an ongoing investigation of insufficient funds was wrong! This failure has cost shareholders their entire investment overnight!

The FDIC should not go by unchecked either, for not giving shareholders notice was in my view illegal. The FDIC did not communicate to us the severity and timing of their ongoing case. This in turn has caused extensive damage to millions of American families and more importantly it will further erode trust in our government at at time when that is already a deeply sensitive issue.

http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/Stock ... of=2&frt=1

So does Citibank go down now because they can't get rid of the bad paper they got in the Wachovia deal?

1982vett":3rabtomz said:
So does Citibank go down now because they can't get rid of the bad paper they got in the Wachovia deal?

No, their sides of the position cancel each other out. This is why they were selected as the buyer...they were on the other sides of the trades.

Lammie":37el02nf said:
I'm stuck in an odd situation at present. We can afford our home, but everything else seems to be going up so fast, and what with fuel, and everything else that high fuel prices bring, plus maintaining two households because my husband works out of town and we didn't want to sell in a depressed market, and the fact that our retirement accounts are bleeding heavily, well, it wouldn't take long to make things pretty bad very quickly.

My neighbor's place has been on the market on and off for two years. I think he might have sold it, we certainly were not in a position to buy it. That would be a good thing because if he can sell, so can we. I saw him cleaning out what was left over the weekend. We didn't get a chance to talk to him about it. The only good thing is that maybe if we can get this place sold we can get something else for less money.

We have to do something soon though. You can buy less and less with the same money, and even when you get a raise, it really can't keep up with the cost of living. I am willing to see it through. I don't believe that we should just rescue these idiots. Not if their execs are gonna walk out of it with millions. I am hoping that something better will come of this. I need to find out how our representative voted on this issue. Old Chet is up for re-election here pretty soon.

I can always move into my parents house. It's paid for and I can get it for a song. It won't help with my two household situation, but it would give us some breathing room.

Lord help this country.

Lammie, your man Chet Edwards voted for the bailout... Mine, Louie Gohmert voted against it. I guess they canceled each other out.

Regarding the JP Morgan aquisition of Washinton Mutual, the depositor bank in the USA, for $1 per share:

"The transaction ends exactly 119 years of independence for Washington Mutual, whose predecessor was incorporated on Sept. 25, 1889, "to offer its stockholders a safe and profitable vehicle for investing and lending," according to the thrift's website. This helped Seattle residents rebuild after a fire torched the city's downtown. "

http://www.cnbc.com/id/26893741

Latest posts