Gotta buy a truck

Help Support CattleToday:

AngusLimoX

Reaction score
OK , semi guys only.

I have not done the maintneance thing on my own tractor, but if I buy one for the farm, and it gets only regular farm use ( 15,000 mile/year ) can or should it be as dependable as a pick up? Any weird maintenance or other costs that anyone has found?

I am thinking a pete or flhd in the $20,000 range, 350 - 400 hp.

Thinking about a small grain trailer and a small float to add on.

Still cheaper initially than the toy trucks.

It really depends on how spread out the 15,000 miles are and whether or not you park it and forget about it for extended periods of time. If you do that 15k in two months and it sits the rest of the year, you're asking for a lot of trouble. Little aggravating stuff like wheels seals, bearings, air system trouble, etc. All of it is do-it-yourself fixes, it's mainly just the aggravation of it.

Condensation on dry bearings, races and splined shafts leads to premature failure in a hurry. As do dry seals. Keep the truck rolled around every couple of weeks year around to keep the bearings, shafts and seals wet. Take good care of your air system by keeping the condensate and compressor moisture bled off.

Shouldn't be much go wrong with the engine if you start out with a decent one. Be sure to use a good coolant treatment. Seems like trucks that sit a lot really get some bad liner pitting without adequate coolant treatment. Using the coolant test kits and keeping it right will save a lot of grief later. I like coolant filters on one, especially if it's a Cat. Spare no expense taking care of a Cat and it will take care of you for a long time.

And I'm sure you already know to always let the engine heat up good when you run it. If it were mine, instead of just cranking it up to roll it around, I'd take it out and pound the ground with it for a while. But whatever you do, don't just crank it to move it and kill it cold without burning the fuel off the top of the pistons. Cold, low-rpm idling adds a lot of diesel to the oil in a hurry with an engine that's got a little wear on it.

Blah, blah, blah.... :lol: Good luck.

My boyfriend who works at peterbilt says he agrees with the last post. The facts on heating to normal operting temp., and sustaining that for more than a brief period is crucial! Class 8 trucks were not designed for puttin around the farm. Also, if it were me i would be more inclined to get a pick-up truck which would be suited better for ur needs. Eventhough a pete would be fun to see out of ur kitchen window everymorning.

Everthing Texan said plus where you at you'll have to deal with making sure your fuel doesn't gell and your brake shoes don't freeze to the drums.

A couple other things to consider also. Around here the farmers are buying up those older trucks faster than they get older. It would be real hard to find a older pete that is worth buying for $20,000 Those petes are kinda like status symbols around here. Hey look at me everybody I have a pete.
Are you going to be hauling for hire if so you need to remember it costs $18.00 a day for ins, license, authority. Everyday even if it sits. then throw in your fuel and throw in your time and your going to need to drive more than 15,000 miles a year just to pay for depreciation. But for private use forgot all I just mentioned. Maintance on my trucks and trailers run $.14 per running mile they are 2001's down to 1995's not real new but not real old either. We run them everyday. More maintance cost occur during winter months with everything being so cold and then the rough roads beating the death out of the trucks. I imagine it will be the same for you up there.
I don't know if it is worse when they sit more or not I only know this everytime something has sat for some time when we go to use it something has somehow got broke while it sat there, the s cams are rusted up, one of the tires refuses to hold air, when you finally get it to move up to the shop you see a wheel seal is bad so you fix that one and finally send it down the road only to get a call from the driver who made it to Spearfish and he sitting at the repair shop getting a different wheel bearing fixed. Maybe its just my bad luck but I hate stuff just sitting around.

somn
Just curious how you came up with the .14 cpm cost of truck? Do you have a breakdown of repairs/maint.? Or do you use some formula? I have been trying to calculate costs per mile for a (soon to be) operation.

thanks
csutton

My experience with any equipment/machinery is if you don't plan to get a lot of use out of it, don't buy it.

any type machinery/equipment will detereate more by setting around than it will by using it often.

Have owned boats/motor homes and every time I was ready to use them had to do maintenance before use.

I really believe it would be cheaper to rent a piece of equipment if you don't plan to use it often.

All equipment was designed for use not setting in your yard and planting flowers in.

Cal

I agree with everrything thats been posted so far will just add a couple more comments.

You have an air system on Semis that can be a real booger in the cold weather if you allow condensation to build up in the system.
If the truck doesnt already have one I would highly recomend an air drier setup on the thing. Without it you'll endlessly be fighting frozen brake valves and ice chunks floating through your lines.
Methanol or some type of alcohol that absorbs moisture is also handy to keep around. You open up an air line periodically and pour a little in to keep air lines free of ice.....not a lot, but just enough to absorb some moisture and don't use a highly flammable mixture for your own safety. There are commercially made fittings you can put on your truck just for this purpose.

Check your lug nuts often for tightness.....many trucks will never have a problem with this and some it seems always will. Loose lug nuts are dangerous and will have you buying new wheels often....$$.

The bushings and overall condition of your slack adjusters, s-cams, and drums are very important to proper brake operation......and this is important if you're actually hauling anything worthy of being towed with a semi lol.

I also prefer Shell Rotella T for engine oil. Oils designed for heavy trucks have special additives to help deal with all the soot that's present in big deisel engines.
If you use a regular motor oil or bargain basement 15-40 you got on sale somewhere you can plan on shortened turbo and overall engine life cause the soot will build up and "stick" to everything in the engine.
Use good oil specifically designed for big diesel engines. (i use the shell rotella in all my tractors and diesels and highly recomend it)

Lastly i would just stress the importance of using the proper coolant in the thing.
I cant count the number of cylinder liners I've had to replace on other people's trucks over the years cause they pit completely through due to not using enough coolant or the wrong type.
Cat motors seem to be especially susceptable to this.

Oh and if its gonna sit for long periods of time make sure you grease the thing REALLY well before parking it.

yep i agree mack are great farm trucks. We have 3 macks for hauling grain moving heavy Equiment {track hoe/ Dozer} They have lots of power and stand up to allmost anything. They have the new Diff in the back as well you can Lock all 4 Wheels up. Witch is great when the Ground is wet pulling into Feilds.

The Older Style mack are the Simplest trouble free trucks out there i think. Just its harder to get guys to drive them because they dont ride very good. So we switch to all 2000 Model trucks.

For Over the road id got with a Pete no Dought about that one.

Will have to agree on the ol mack. Made a good fleet tractor. it was hard for the drivers to tear them up.
But they we're just a plain truck that rode like a brick,with hardly any driver comfort.
Don't know much about over the road trucks of today as I quit driving in 82.
I do know that used to when you seen a mack with a gold bulldog it was a thourebred and with a silver buldog it could have a different engine or powertrain.
But overall they got the job done with less expence and less comfort.

Cal

Man I never thought about the Mack, and I should have, but up here THEY are rare used!

Pretty much decided I need indoor storage for it ( was planning for a new equipment building anyway ) before I take the plunge.

Appreciate all your help! :D

Latest posts