got our cows

Help Support CattleToday:

geish":scid93xs said:
Caustic Burno":scid93xs said:
You need to quit worrying about AI and that garbage until you know how to properly care for a bovine(cow). That first post of yours was like an OEEE bird thats a bird that flys in circles and when his head goes up his butt he hollers Oeee its dark in here.
You need to learn the basics Pasture, Management, Herd Health Management, get an infrastucture built that will allow you to properly maintain herd health.

Burno, I didn't plan on doing any AI or breeding until much much later or if at all necessary/feasible. I was just wanting more info on it. Is it bad to have cows that you don't plan on breeding? I don't know if it's detrimental to their health. Heck, we don't need anymore cattle, just replacements when some get old or die. Again, we're fine with the ones we have and don't plan on getting any more. They're like our pets. People don't necessarily
buy dogs or cats to breed them. That's what we're doing. We just like the cows we have now. Maybe in the future, we can mix things up, but not now.

As far as learning the basics, I'm doing so every day. Right now, we're not in such a precarious situation. The land we're on used to be owned by registered Limousin breeders. We acquired some of the equipment they left behind. Water troughs and what not. There's always fresh water from pump. The land is already sectioned off ready for rotation. So, basically, right now I just need to learn about the vaccines and mineral blocks needed. They have enough food for now. I also need to clear the barn so I can make use of it. There's already an old squeeze chute which is nice in case I need to take a closer look at the animals.

I'll read up on your links. I have the cattle management handbood from Texas A&M. It's quite extensive. Maybe more than I need. I think it's more for people going into the cattle business, but it sure has some great information for hobbyers like my family.

Thanks for all your help.

I'm telling you guys, this cannot possibly be on the up and up, this has to be someone playing with us! :shock: :D

Raise hay, keep few cattle, sell the hay. You'll make a few nickels on the hay.

You'll save a bunch of nickels on property taxes, if they are as bad in your county as they are in this one.

Alot of this has to do with location. My East Texas land costs nearly nothing in Taxes. I don't have to worry with ag exemption there. Here the taxes are awful. I know a lady who cleared some cedar off of her property and her tax costs went up over $1500 a year, on 3 acres.

If you want some cows as pets I have some pretty ones that will let you halter them and pet them, They would make lots better pets. They might cost a little more but the fun factor will go way up!

Caustic Burno":2w45gl49 said:
geish":2w45gl49 said:
BentCreekFarm":2w45gl49 said:
Geish, You might ought to see what its going to cost you to keep a cow up the right way for a year before you decide to "just keep as pet's and not breed back". My cow's cost me exactly $281.10 per cow to keep for the last year alone. And it was a mild winter here this year. For your 8 that would be just under $2400.00. Man that would be an expensive pet or umm hobby

Let me use your values as an example and see what I come up with; I'm aware that it will be different for my part of the country, but I'm just curious.

281.1 * 8 = 2248.8/year for 8 heads

We're saving $2350.22 in taxes from ag.

2350.22 - 2248.8 = 101.42

Well, it's not at all accurate since I'm not living where you are and not paying the same taxes you, but if I use your values, We're actually saving $101.42 per year. Foolish calculations, I KNOW

Again, I know it's wrong. I'll have to figure out how much we spend on our cattle for one year. Time to use old microsoft excel.

If you are not producing you can not claim ag, might have to pay some back taxes on that hobby. Uh oh

I get your point caustic. I'm aware of it. I've looked that up before. We'll produce.

geish":3m5ydwu7 said:
There's always fresh water from pump. The land is already sectioned off ready for rotation. So, basically, right now I just need to learn about the vaccines and mineral blocks needed. They have enough food for now. I also need to clear the barn so I can make use of it. There's already an old squeeze chute which is nice in case I need to take a closer look at the animals.

I'll read up on your links. I have the cattle management handbood from Texas A&M. It's quite extensive. Maybe more than I need. I think it's more for people going into the cattle business, but it sure has some great information for hobbyers like my family.

Thanks for all your help.

Well Geish,

You have thicker skin than most. Don't use the mineral blocks, they are "trace" minerals and don't give the cattle close to what they need. Your feed mill will have 50 lb bags of loose minerals for cattle, ask what they recommend and go with that. You can even get minerals with a form of insecticide to help with flies (rabon). Just pour it in a barrel or other type of feed trough, put it close to their water supply, and give them all they want. (after some time should average to about 4 ounces per head per day)

PM me if you would like some advice on vaccine programs. I'm not a vet, or an expert, but I can help you some.

geish":1bxtc1ug said:
We're new to cows, but finally bought some since we have a big enough land (45 acres) which we also bought months ago. We bought all eight for $5k. We're learning more and more every day. I'm wondering what breed these are. I'm sure they're mixed, but what are they predominantly; if it's at all possible to tell. Also, was $5,000 a good price. We were told that most of the cows are pregnant. I'm sure that makes a difference in the price. He kept the bull.

We bought it from a very nice gentleman who we were leasing our land to. We finally decided to take care of the cows ourselves. I guess our next step would be to got to the feed store and find out what to feed these cows. I also need to do some more shredding. Any more advice would be appreciated. My concern in the future is what bull to get. If we keep all the calves and breed them to the bull we get, I hear first time mothers can have calving problems. I guess I'll do more research on this board.
Thank ya'll for all the help. I love this message board.

10000842sg.jpg

10000832vw.jpg

10000826zr.jpg

10000814lp.jpg

10000804bi.jpg

10000793pr.jpg

10000783zp.jpg

10000769oc.jpg

I would get an Registered Angus or Brangus bull. The are easy calvers and will turn the entire herd black and get away from that "Rainbow Collitation" look. Then if you are not happy with the calves I would look for another type of bull after you know more. In you area, Houston, I would use the Brangus bull. It is hot and high humidity there. There are many Brangus breeders in your area. Check with the International Brangus Breeders Association web site to find one.
Good luck

Latest posts