got our cows

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky":38ncb8ki said:
The best advice I can give you about a bull is to put a good angus bull with them. The reason is that you dont know alot about cattle, and there will be less worry about calving with the black angus than other breeds, the calves will be black and will sell real good and the ones you keep will be good mothers.
I think Stocky makes a good point.
Go to your county agent office and ask for information on raising cattle, feeding minerals, herd health, pasture management, etc. Ask about AI technicians in your area. Better to use AI than buy a bull for right now. Get a technician to do it for you. You need some way to pen your cattle up and restrain them. Extension people should be able to get you information on these things.

I knew I had a lot more learning to do. We're probably not going to get the bull yet. Maybe in the coming two years or so.

We have made friends with neighbors who have knowledge about raising cows as they have in the past or are currently doing so as a hobby like we are. Our main purpose is not to make money off of these cows. It's more of a hobby for us; also helps with the tax exemption. My parents are about to retire and they love living in the country. Taking care of these cows should keep them busy.

I'll keep updating. I'll take some of ya'lls challenge who said that this whole thing is going to be a train wreck.
We'll see if this city boy survives right?

P.S. I don't drive a dually, not even a pickup. ;-)

geish, remember that hot summer days are just around the corner. Ground moisture in our area is very poor and while you have some green spring growth right now it won't last long without rain pretty soon. Hay will continue to be scarce and expensive, so if you can find some decent quality hay at a reasonable price snatch it up. Watch the condition of the cows closely and be prepared to cull off some if things don't improve. If you have pens, chute and other handling facilities (and I assume you have at least some, unless the prior renter had all portable stuff) you might want to get Dr. Stern over to palpate them for you and also do a spring workup (vaccinate, worming, etc). If they were running with a bull for 3 months they should be pregnant -- if "open" it might be a good idea to say adios to the open ones.

Your 45 acres might sound like a fair sized piece of ground to run 8 mature cows and a bull, plus a few small calves. However, they won't do much grazing on all that smut grass nor on the water sedge, which you seem to have a lot of. Don't allow the smutgrass or the sedge to seed out again - keep it shredded. Next, since you've already got the cattle, you might consider a program whereby you start fencing off something like 5 or 10 acre plots of your land and spray generic Roundup on a plot to kill it all, disc and then try to get something good established, such as Jiggs or Tifton 85 (both are bermuda grasses that do well in the area). Then move on to another plot. As I recall, the county extension service advises to use at least a 10% solution of Roundup to kill the sedge (much stronger concentration than for a lot of grasses). You might want to verify that with Glen Averrit over at the extension service. If you have sections that stay very wet and are dominated by the sedge, you might have to move some dirt around, improve drainage, etc. The bermuda doesn't like wet feet, I believe Bahia will tolerate it better, but in our area bermuda is the grass of choice if conditions are right. In doing the above, you will also be establishing multiple grazing plots, and the benefits of rotational grazing are well documented. I know you have a small tractor and shredder. Consider hiring local farmers or ranchers near you to do some of the spraying, discing, etc. if you dont have that sort of equipment already, which I assume you don't. Don't go out and buy a lot of fancy equipment, trailers, spray rig, etc. -- won't be able to get enough utilization out of them to justify the investment, IMHO.

Keep reading these boards if you have the time and you will pick up a lot of good info, some not so good, and a fair amount of entertainment.

geish,
Have you found a good vet yet? Very important to do. We have provincial Ag. offices that will help with learning - courses etc. Check and see if you have that. Then any other questions you have you can check with the vet. He/she will be able to help you with things like AI too.

geish,

You've got to understand that by your questions, you reveal that you have very little knowledge about cattle. That, by itself, is no problem. However, you've already bought a herd, so the welfare of those animls are in your hands. That's what I meant by train wreck.

I'm not challenging you. Heck, pm me if you want, I'll help you as much as I can in any way I can. I really do wish you luck, but the boards are sometimes filled with wide eyed people who jump in before they should.

No harm meant, and I'm serious about pm'ing me.

Hi Geish

From the body condition of your cows, I can assume that the person you bought them from had some experience in cattle management. Since they were on your land all this time, did you watch him care for these animals? If so, you have a good idea what needs to be done and when.

You have posted some great "head shots" of your cows and that has me wondering, has anyone ever heard of a saying an old timer told me? That when a cow starts aging and loosing a tooth here and there, the snout will flatten out?

For instance, look at the snout difference between some of these mother cows.

Like to get your opinion on the as I have been known to use this to make a quick judgement on the age of cows.

Dub

Some look like beefmaster some charolais cross with that brahma influence its hard to tell but one is a hereford thats for sure . with that brahma in them you might not have much if any calving problems. but a would diffenitly clean that heard up with a good bull

DoubleK":29m0qocr said:
Hi Geish

From the body condition of your cows, I can assume that the person you bought them from had some experience in cattle management. Since they were on your land all this time, did you watch him care for these animals? If so, you have a good idea what needs to be done and when.

You have posted some great "head shots" of your cows and that has me wondering, has anyone ever heard of a saying an old timer told me? That when a cow starts aging and loosing a tooth here and there, the snout will flatten out?

Like to get your opinion on the as I have been known to use this to make a quick judgement on the age of cows.
Dub

All he had sitting out was liquid feed and constant supply of hay. He was leasing from Jan. to now/March. I don't know if I should get the liquid feed (mollassis smelling stuff) or blocks. I know I don't need hay for now since the grass is starting to grow, but like I said, I'll keep shredding. I do need to know if the grass will have enough protein or if I should give them protein supplements also.

I'll bet at the feed store on Thursday to find out what vaccines are needed. I'm sure I'll get some info there. I need to find a vaccine schedule and what common ones are given in my area. Is it the same as with my cat where she gets a set of vaccines once a year? Inform me. Thanks.

I've been reading up more and more. I've read all the interesting stuff on castration. I don't know if we're gonna have bull calves being born.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":f3fbywj4 said:
How old are these heifers? If they are first calf heifers say around 2 years old breeding them to a limo bull was probably a mistake.

why would it be a mistake? :) , if they sell all the offspring I dont see why it is a mistake please explain.

topsquar":1362by8a said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1362by8a said:
How old are these heifers? If they are first calf heifers say around 2 years old breeding them to a limo bull was probably a mistake.

why would it be a mistake? :) , if they sell all the offspring I dont see why it is a mistake please explain.
getting them two have the offsprings without trouble is what he means

You need to quit worrying about AI and that garbage until you know how to properly care for a bovine(cow). That first post of yours was like an OEEE bird thats a bird that flys in circles and when his head goes up his butt he hollers Oeee its dark in here.
You need to learn the basics Pasture, Management, Herd Health Management, get an infrastucture built that will allow you to properly maintain herd health.

Here is some stuff to get you started now read it.

http://agnews.tamu.edu/drought/drghtpak98/drght11.html

http://texnat.tamu.edu/ranchref/guide/index.htm

http://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/dawson/fence/tx_fnc.htm

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/library/cattbeef.html

http://ag.arizona.edu/AREC/cull/culling.html

http://web1.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modaa/e1611921.html

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/ansci/ ... .htm#frame

http://www.cps.gov.on.ca/english/bc1000/beef.htm

http://texnat.tamu.edu/cmplants/toxic/p ... ercup.html

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... d=Paspalum

geish":1vrqd0p3 said:
DoubleK":1vrqd0p3 said:
Hi Geish

Dub

All he had sitting out was liquid feed and constant supply of hay. He was leasing from Jan. to now/March. I don't know if I should get the liquid feed (mollassis smelling stuff) or blocks. I know I don't need hay for now since the grass is starting to grow, but like I said, I'll keep shredding. I do need to know if the grass will have enough protein or if I should give them protein supplements also.

I'll bet at the feed store on Thursday to find out what vaccines are needed. I'm sure I'll get some info there. I need to find a vaccine schedule and what common ones are given in my area. Is it the same as with my cat where she gets a set of vaccines once a year? Inform me. Thanks.

I've been reading up more and more. I've read all the interesting stuff on castration. I don't know if we're gonna have bull calves being born.

Wouldn't think they would need any feed the most important thing right now next to good water source, would be to have a good mineral out for them. If they have grass, water and Mineral. Then you should have the time to read all the articles Caustic posted and learn more.

Caustic Burno":1iwiaado said:
You need to quit worrying about AI and that garbage until you know how to properly care for a bovine(cow). That first post of yours was like an OEEE bird thats a bird that flys in circles and when his head goes up his butt he hollers Oeee its dark in here.
You need to learn the basics Pasture, Management, Herd Health Management, get an infrastucture built that will allow you to properly maintain herd health.

Burno, I didn't plan on doing any AI or breeding until much much later or if at all necessary/feasible. I was just wanting more info on it. Is it bad to have cows that you don't plan on breeding? I don't know if it's detrimental to their health. Heck, we don't need anymore cattle, just replacements when some get old or die. Again, we're fine with the ones we have and don't plan on getting any more. They're like our pets. People don't necessarily
buy dogs or cats to breed them. That's what we're doing. We just like the cows we have now. Maybe in the future, we can mix things up, but not now.

As far as learning the basics, I'm doing so every day. Right now, we're not in such a precarious situation. The land we're on used to be owned by registered Limousin breeders. We acquired some of the equipment they left behind. Water troughs and what not. There's always fresh water from pump. The land is already sectioned off ready for rotation. So, basically, right now I just need to learn about the vaccines and mineral blocks needed. They have enough food for now. I also need to clear the barn so I can make use of it. There's already an old squeeze chute which is nice in case I need to take a closer look at the animals.

I'll read up on your links. I have the cattle management handbood from Texas A&M. It's quite extensive. Maybe more than I need. I think it's more for people going into the cattle business, but it sure has some great information for hobbyers like my family.

Thanks for all your help.

Geish, You might ought to see what its going to cost you to keep a cow up the right way for a year before you decide to "just keep as pet's and not breed back". My cow's cost me exactly $281.10 per cow to keep for the last year alone. And it was a mild winter here this year. For your 8 that would be just under $2400.00. Man that would be an expensive pet or umm hobby

geish said:

If they are pregnant, there is a 50/50 chance for a bull calf. They happen.

Katherine

Geish-
That calf is right nice. looks like a limousin x hereford or simmental (or both). The charolais cross cow in the background looks pretty good too.

the second cow is mostly if not all brahman and will likely be your best cow assuming she isnt crazy.

In the next picture, that almost looks like a limousin bull in the background on the left? lets hope not. the cows in this picture and the next look to be of mostly hereford and maybe simmental decent.

12 looks like a little red angus cow or could be a simmental x angus or something. not a bad little cow, looks likes shes got several good years left in her.

15 and the red beefmaster looking cow appear to have some age on them as do most of these cows. the red beefmaster looking cow i bet is a great cow.

the charolais cross cow has nice depth. i bet all of these cows are fairly old but still got a few good calves in them. i bet they could all benefit from a good deworming too. if you could find a good red angus bull for these cows i think it would better than a black angus.

BentCreekFarm":1eyzytjn said:
Geish, You might ought to see what its going to cost you to keep a cow up the right way for a year before you decide to "just keep as pet's and not breed back". My cow's cost me exactly $281.10 per cow to keep for the last year alone. And it was a mild winter here this year. For your 8 that would be just under $2400.00. Man that would be an expensive pet or umm hobby

Let me use your values as an example and see what I come up with; I'm aware that it will be different for my part of the country, but I'm just curious.

281.1 * 8 = 2248.8/year for 8 heads

We're saving $2350.22 in taxes from ag.

2350.22 - 2248.8 = 101.42

Well, it's not at all accurate since I'm not living where you are and not paying the same taxes you, but if I use your values, We're actually saving $101.42 per year. Foolish calculations, I KNOW

Again, I know it's wrong. I'll have to figure out how much we spend on our cattle for one year. Time to use old microsoft excel.

geish":970inepf said:
BentCreekFarm":970inepf said:

Let me use your values as an example and see what I come up with; I'm aware that it will be different for my part of the country, but I'm just curious.

281.1 * 8 = 2248.8/year for 8 heads

We're saving $2350.22 in taxes from ag.

2350.22 - 2248.8 = 101.42

Well, it's not at all accurate since I'm not living where you are and not paying the same taxes you, but if I use your values, We're actually saving $101.42 per year. Foolish calculations, I KNOW

Again, I know it's wrong. I'll have to figure out how much we spend on our cattle for one year. Time to use old microsoft excel.

If you are not producing you can not claim ag, might have to pay some back taxes on that hobby. Uh oh

Latest posts