Gooseneck trailer behind a road tractor with 5th wheel?

Help Support CattleToday:

jasonleonard

Reaction score
I am looking at pulling my gooseneck stock trailer behind a tractor truck.
Is there a conversion you can get to snap in the jaws of the 5th wheel, and do they work good?

Most of the tractor trucks I see have a goose neck ball mounted to the frame behind the 5th wheel hitch if the helps any.

My friend put a flat deck on a tractor with a 5th wheel hitch, and got rid of one of the axles.. he tows a really really big horse trailer with it.. used to do a lot of horse racing

All it takes is a different end on the drop down part of the trailer hitch. The ones for RV 5th wheels will work or they used to anyway. I had an old 5th wheel 20 some foot RV with a turntable type hitch in the back of the truck similar to the one on the big rigs. Bought a gooseneck trailer and they just changed the standard gooseneck tube deal with one that fit the hitch in the truck. When I sold the truck I put a standard gooseneck ball in the bed and just traded the tube I had on the gooseneck to the standard that takes the ball.

From what I have seen a pickup 5th wheel has smaller kingpin than a road tractor so the adapter wouldn't work for this application unless you made it with the right size pin. Like M5 says most of the ones I see have the ball mounted behind the plate if they have both on it. You have enough truck you don't have to worry to much about it being past the c/l of the axle. See a lot of them around and have considered going to one myself as my pour pickup is overloaded most of the time. Used to be you could pickup a single axle tractor here for about $3,500 so can't buy a good pickup for that. Think they have gone up a good bit lately tho.

SmokinM":300n497l said:
From what I have seen a pickup 5th wheel has smaller kingpin than a road tractor so the adapter wouldn't work for this application unless you made it with the right size pin. Like M5 says most of the ones I see have the ball mounted behind the plate if they have both on it. You have enough truck you don't have to worry to much about it being past the c/l of the axle. See a lot of them around and have considered going to one myself as my pour pickup is overloaded most of the time. Used to be you could pickup a single axle tractor here for about $3,500 so can't buy a good pickup for that. Think they have gone up a good bit lately tho.

Smokin you still can but they will be a cab over and the tiny cabover with no sleeper.

Latest posts