Good looking hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":2wv510xz said:
she aint the soggy type yet she's got pones around her tail head and vulva ?? nice udder :cowboy:

Her udder is one of the problems with her for me. Get 10 years on that bag and it will look like four torpedoes, may not last that long with that kind of seperation this young. Pretty cow, but pretty is as pretty does.

The udder is better than most we see around here on herefords. Just from the one pic she's pretty classy looking, but there is probably a good reason they chose to donate this "one particular" cow.

Those pones look like the kind they get when they have been flushed. She might have been flushed a few times.

I don't see much of a problem with her udder, Herefords are not known for their good udders so as Herefords go she has a good one. I really like her blood lines 20X a couple of times, pure gold, online :hide: and some L1 thrown into the mix. But I agree there's probably a reason she was chosen to be the donated cow.

Alan":3kk9w5n5 said:
I don't see much of a problem with her udder, Herefords are not known for their good udders so as Herefords go she has a good one. I really like her blood lines 20X a couple of times, pure gold, online :hide: and some L1 thrown into the mix. But I agree there's probably a reason she was chosen to be the donated cow.

I always hated the herefords aren't known for the udders excuse. And that's all it is, the issues that breed has with udders wouldn't be hard to fix if more breeders would care about having something that is better than "fuctional"

She sure is pretty though

Jake":jhp71gvk said:
Alan":jhp71gvk said:
I always hated the herefords aren't known for the udders excuse. And that's all it is, the issues that breed has with udders wouldn't be hard to fix if more breeders would care about having something that is better than "fuctional"

Same here Jake. You would think there would be some hard work going on to improve the udders on the breed as a whole then udders like this would be the exception.

TexasBred":2wvjm4t9 said:
Jake":2wvjm4t9 said:
Alan":2wvjm4t9 said:

Same here Jake. You would think there would be some hard work going on to improve the udders on the breed as a whole then udders like this would be the exception.

I guarantee she would not be raising bulls at my place.

As this is just my opinion...... this heifer has the potential to be a super heifer, but she is straight in the shoulders and hip, which makes her legs straighter than I would want..... But, these are the things I do like about her.....

I looked up her sire, and he shows to be pretty well muscled bull for a two year old. I cannot find a really good picture of him although.
I think if her legs had more of an angle, this would be a winner. I can't give her an A+ on her udder although. I have one in my herd that ranks lower than she does. But, so far, her cows did not inherit it.
This heifer is a nicely filled out and is feminine. She has a nice full rump and a long hip. She would be a plus if she had the correct angles on her shoulders and hips. She has a beautiful neck and a very pretty head.

A feminine cow makes a masculine bull.
The most masculine bulls make the most feminine cows. Have you ever read where a certain famous bull was known to be a cow maker? Well, this is the reason why.

When I say feminine cows, I do not mean a small scrawny cow, but one that is filled out well, not over muscled and bully looking, but they usually have a smaller longer neck and a smaller feminine head.
If you look through the sale catalogs, they will show the dams of the bulls that are for sale. Notice that the best bulls have the most feminine mammas. Here is a good example.
Go to this page of donors, and it shows a few pictures of cows that are used. Pick out the most feminine cow there, and she will have produced the most famous bulls.
http://sydgen.com/females.html

Check your Bulls and the mammas next time you are going through the sale catalogs.
If you didn't scroll through the site of the cows, she was #5084. What a beautiful cow she is.

Jake":2byqrm82 said:
Alan":2byqrm82 said:

I agree completely,no one to blame for Hereford udders other than Hereford breeders. They have been all over the place in the last 50 or 60 years with breed standards. Small framed bricks, tall and big, let's go to a smaller frame. In the mixed they messed up a lot of things, udders, carcass qualities to name a couple. Carcass qualities are well on the way to fixed IMO ........ Udders not so much. Go out and look at some real ranch used Herefords, daughters of so and so, and I know most of those udders will be much worse than hers. There are bulls out there fixing the problem ...... Enough? 3027 seems to throw a nice cow.

For a Hereford her udder isn't that bad.

Alan

I've seen a lot of cows and first-calf heifers from all breeds, including Herefords, with a much worse udder than that. I would put her in my herd any day.

I care much less about udder suspension than I do teat size. Although it's not the norm here, I have one cow that's 8 and doesn't have a lot of suspension left in her udder, but maintains 4 'pinky' size teats continually and milks like crazy. As long as a calf can get on all 4 teats with no issues, that's all I care about, speaking from a commercial beef operator's point of view.

Aaron":7exkw4d2 said:
I've seen a lot of cows and first-calf heifers from all breeds, including Herefords, with a much worse udder than that. I would put her in my herd any day.

I care much less about udder suspension than I do teat size. Although it's not the norm here, I have one cow that's 8 and doesn't have a lot of suspension left in her udder, but maintains 4 'pinky' size teats continually and milks like crazy. As long as a calf can get on all 4 teats with no issues, that's all I care about, speaking from a commercial beef operator's point of view.

I'm not saying that there aren't worse udders out there, but for that to be acceptable and a good udder for a breed to me is astonishing. I have a cow with a similar udder that has a bull calf at side and you can sure as heII bet that he is getting cut, I won't keep a heifer out of her either. NO reason to perpetuate those issues as a seedstock producer, no need to have something hidden in the genes to bite you later.

Fire Sweep Ranch":5ynpd4oo said:
Those pones look like the kind they get when they have been flushed. She might have been flushed a few times.

I'd agree. With her genetics, the owners probably have 5 or 6 flushes from different sires sitting in their tank.

Jake":239qf507 said:
ALACOWMAN":239qf507 said:
she aint the soggy type yet she's got pones around her tail head and vulva ?? nice udder :cowboy:

Her udder is one of the problems with her for me. Get 10 years on that bag and it will look like four torpedoes, may not last that long with that kind of seperation this young. Pretty cow, but pretty is as pretty does.
i put my speck'tackles on to get a closer look at it.. your talking about the seperation at the udder floor, right??

ALACOWMAN":bs25t2tg said:
Jake":bs25t2tg said:
ALACOWMAN":bs25t2tg said:

i put my speck'tackles on to get a closer look at it.. your talking about the seperation at the udder floor, right??

Correct

Latest posts