Going to look at a 745 Rounder

Help Support CattleToday:

chukar

Reaction score
We are going to look at a 745 Rounder (Hesston) tomorrow and need some clues on what to look for. Owner says he has put about 9000 bales through it (3000/yr for 3 years).

Says selling for financial reasons and leased out their cows.

Other option we are considering is a JD 556. Any idea how these compare?

Thanks in advance

I have owned both brands but not the same model #'s. In my opinion the John Deere is a much better baler. Bearings are easier to change.

Cabo":ybebkf26 said:
I have owned both brands but not the same model #'s. In my opinion the John Deere is a much better baler. Bearings are easier to change.

Same deal hear. Also the JD was eaiser to make a tighter, more uniform bale.

Any idea how many bales before a major overhaul on either?

The JD, the dealer doesn't seem to know anything. Says it is there on consignment.

I don't want to end up with a "lemon" since it is a chunk of change.

I used to have a Hesston variable chamber round baler but can't remember the model (want to say 4500 but could be wrong) and never had a lick of problems with it. I currently have a Hesston 7540 small square and wouldn't trade it for anything......well almost anything. Around here Hesston is considered top of the line hay equipment and I'd agree. One thing is for sure. do NOT get a fixed chamber baler (or soft-core as they are called) you will be dissapointed with bale quality and uniformity although they are much cheaper and less moving parts to deal with. I know John deere makes quality equipment too (but not like they used to in my opinion) but don't rule out Hesston.

Correction. my small baler is a 4570 so you dont think i'm blowing smoke. You probably already know this but a netwrap baler is also FAR better than a twine tie baler for 3 reasons. 1) the netwrap sheds water way better. 2) The netwrap is way easier to get off the bales. 3) It takes way longer to wrap and eject a bale with twine than netwrap and that time really adds up in a large field. Good luck with whichever baler you choose!

chukar":4r3osibz said:
We are going to look at a 745 Rounder (Hesston) tomorrow and need some clues on what to look for. Owner says he has put about 9000 bales through it (3000/yr for 3 years).

Says selling for financial reasons and leased out their cows.

Other option we are considering is a JD 556. Any idea how these compare?

Thanks in advance

I sold one at the start of the summer when I quit baleing. Dang fine baler, it doesn't much matter the brand they all break down. More important your part's supplier and how far do you have to drive or how hard he work's for you. Never cared for the Green and Yellow prices and my cousin own's the local dealership. I have baled with Krone, Vemeer, JD, and Hesston wouldn't give you 25 cents difference for any of them. Krone made the best bale biggest pain out of them all to repair.
Now saying all that I would take a hard look at that Hesston as they tell you in the manual they are for private use and not commercial, I would pass it by if it wasn't dirt cheap if the guy was custom baleing with it. They are real simple to work on virtually a Vemeer Rebel.

Latest posts