goggle markings on hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

2013-12-11%2016.55.21.jpg

It's just something about how genes line up. We have one cow that was bred to the same bull 3 times. The last one is a black baldy with eyes pacthes on both eye. Last years calf was red brockle faced and the one before that was a black baldy with nothing other white on his face. The cows is a F1 Simmenthal(blaze faced) angus. Another cow bred to the same bull 3 times has had all bull calves with one patched eye and the other no patch. 2 left eyes 1 right eye, she's a F1 Gelbvieh Red Angus

We aim to breed for goggle eyes, not necessarily as a hedge against the dreaded cancer eye problem that is so often laid on the herefords doorstep [ which like prolapse is a bum rap] but in marketing to primarily black commercial customers, they only want some white face. Easy to add the black eye patchs. And usually will find that red eyes goes with generally more pigment and that is also a selling point. Have 2 friends that vowed that someday they would breed a hereford all red except the face.

Most Hereford breeders will tell you they prefer the goggle eyes (pigmentation) because it is a desirable trait that usually helps prevent pink eye. We like to add eye pigmentation on our Herefords if we can and I just think Herefords look better with it too. Seems like most people that come out to the farm will pick out the ones with goggle eyes too although they usually are some of our better calves but it does add some eye appeal (no pun intended) to potential buyers.

I was just surprised when I saw the way the calf was marked, wasn't expecting it. I do like the looks of the goggles.

Latest posts