Give me some tips for sprayer pump care..

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Never owned my own sprayer but the battle with weeds lead me to buy one.

I was always told to put oil in the roller pumps before storing. I guess my main question is for instance say I spray a tank full today and plan on spraying some more in the next couple weeks what should be done?

Would just running water thru it be enough? Thought about soap? Just mainly trying to figure out how long one can set before putting anything in it.

When laying mine up for the winter I fill it with oil. For just goign a week or so I just run plenty of water and dish soap through it. Some of the chemicals will really screw up a pump if left to dry in them. I've had our sprayer for 15 years and never had a problem. The neighbor doesn;t rinse his out well after spraying and has to fix it every year and rplace it every couple of years.

Mine's really old. I may put a little oil in and turn it by hand before storing where it can't freeze. During the season I don't do anything between usage.

It depends on what you're spraying. Some stuff can sit for a long time and not gum things up and some needs to be rinsed out pretty quickly.

I've had the same pump on my sprayer for at least 10 years. I pull it off just before a freeze put it in a bucket pour oil in bucket up to inlet. Spin it a few times. It sets there till I spray the first time

Glad i saw this post, when you all say oil I'm assuming you mean regular motor oil right? Also I've heard to run antifreeze through the machine after the last use of the season. I have to replace a pump now and I am debating on whether to buy a Hypro xl model or just go back with the cast iron (blue) version.

gertman":27nlzmmp said:
Glad i saw this post, when you all say oil I'm assuming you mean regular motor oil right? Also I've heard to run antifreeze through the machine after the last use of the season. I have to replace a pump now and I am debating on whether to buy a Hypro xl model or just go back with the cast iron (blue) version.

I usually use hydraulic or transmission oil because its usually around. The xl pumps are higher but will last 10 times longer than the blue ones, especially if you ever spray fertilizer.

When I winterize my psrayer I pull the pump off of the rig and put it in a place that won;t freeze. I also manually turn it and run motor oil through it when I lay it up.

Diesel causes some rubber seals to swell
Most pumps have viton seal and are resistant to diesel but will still deterioratebathe seals over time
Oil would be much better
Mfgers recommend mineral oil but as everyone stated motor seems to work without issue

I'd recommend washing the pump out after use
Roundup for instance is corrosive and will get gummy when dried out

I always flushed with water and then stored with fresh full strength automotive antifreeze. My reasoning was new antifreeze had maximum anti-corrosive additives and was better than oil or diesel for mixing with residual water. All things considered, easier on both metal and non-metal pump parts :idea:

The main thing is MAKE SURE TO WINTERIZE the pump before a hard freeze. I forgot one year, and paid the price :oops: :oops: :oops:

Latest posts