Getting Started

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiocattle

Reaction score
Right now I am just raising cattle as a hobby but would like to be more involved and thus was wondering about the most profitable route. I was thinking about trying to produce some "black baldies" as they seem to be selling high all over (I know they are not a "breed" but a cross). Also I was debating as to using an angus heifer/hereford bull or vice versa. I have heard that angus heifers make better cows than herefords and might be less of a risk a calving. Lastly I've been told to try artificial insemination instead of keeping a bull around although others have told me this wasn't a good idea because you don't know what you are exactly getting. Also I wasn't sure how high of a success rate it has.

1.) Best breed to start off with?
2.)Best combination of breed of bull & heifer to use for "black baldies"?
3.)To artificially inseminate or not?

In most areas, angus heifers/cows will cost more to purchase then Hereford heifers/cows. If you start with good quality Hereford females from a line that milks fiarly heavy you can get started cheaper.
If you can dedicate the necesarry time for heat detection and get them bred at the optimum time in their heat cycle, AI will allow you to use the best genetics at a cost that is far less then what it would cost for an equal quality bull.

dun

ohiocattle":de1nneuw said:
Right now I am just raising cattle as a hobby but would like to be more involved and thus was wondering about the most profitable route.

First - welcome to the boards.

Second - and this is a biggie - no matter what you do - do it within your budget. Prices come and prices go - but expenses last forever! Or at least they seem to. :lol:

Hobby to some is larger than it is to others, but no matter how many cattle you have - if you are not a full timer - then you had best stay at a number that is manageable on a part time basis - that way you are not going to run into trouble when you are required to be at work and cannot be on the farm.

Everyone wantsa to know about the profit - basically there is none for the small producer - national average is around a hundred bucks per cow. Some a bit more and some a bit less. Registered seed stock producers may be higher, but so are their expenses.

If you have a mortgage you will have a second job - while a generalized statement, it is usually a true statement.

When you find the real profit let us all in on the secret - please!
:lol:

I was thinking about trying to produce some "black baldies" as they seem to be selling high all over (I know they are not a "breed" but a cross).

Whatever you do, try to read the trends. Just because something is doing well today does not mean it will be doing so tomorrow.

However, this is a fine animal and it generally will cross with anything you throw at it. Do not ignore the red baldie as it also does well.

Also I was debating as to using an angus heifer/hereford bull or vice versa. I have heard that angus heifers make better cows than herefords and might be less of a risk a calving.

Well, it is no secret on this board that I am a British fan. Having raised - at one time or another - all of the above - here is my take - for what it is worth. And some will tell you it is not worth much! 8)

First and foremeost - any QUALITY Angus or Herf will make a fine cow - you can take that one to the bank.

ALL heifers of ALL breeds run a risk of calving probs - another bank statement.

You want baldies I would suggest the following:

Stay away from heifers of any breed at first - unless you are well experienced. Go buy a few heavy breds - calf at side is a bonus - instant herd and almost instant cash flow.

BEFORE you do this, have the additional infrastructure in place - as a beginner this where the money should initially be spent - saves a lot of grief in later days and years.

Make this initial purchase of some Herfs - less initial cost laid out. Find a decent BA bull and use him. Cull hard - HARD!

Your buyers will truly appreciate this - it is no longer a numbers game - it is a quality game and never forget this.

Lastly I've been told to try artificial insemination instead of keeping a bull around although others have told me this wasn't a good idea because you don't know what you are exactly getting.

A lot of questions here - but:

AI is a good way to go as long as you are willing to accept the limitations that come with it.

Infrastructure costs - safe and efficient handling of cows is now a true requirement and the cost has been driven up.

AI provides access to excellent genetics and allows you to experiment with many different sires at an affordable price - but there is NO guarantee that the AI process will give you a calf. That is why many small operators also keep a bull on hand - and ALL big operators keep at least one and usually many bulls on hand - the bull picks up the ones that are missed during the AI process.

A good bull is worth his weight in calves - EVERY year.

Also I wasn't sure how high of a success rate it has.

AI is usually around 60 - 70% - give or take a couple of percent.

In the end - this is your decision to make - I simply offer one alternative. Do your homework and have fun doing it.

My opinion alone - Herf cows and BA bull - others can offer different solutions - but this method is presently the most common.

My opinion alone - I do not believe one method by itself is satisfactory - a combination as mentioned above is the best for reasons I have already explained.

Keep the questions coming and have fun.

Knowledge is power, so gather as much information as possible before diving in.

Best regards,

Bez'

Dun & bez' I appreciate your responses. Your information is very helpful as I have just been raising steers and this will help me make a better decision for what I want for the future.

ohiocattle":b66i6f2b said:

1. Angus, Simmental or maybe even Manies
2. Angus or Simmental bull
3. I would AI better calves will come

ohiocattle":2xll8wfl said:
Angus or Hereford

Angus Bull and Hereford Cows
Artificially Inseminate. You can breed to the best bulls for the traits that you are looking to put in your herd.

Hey Bez,

very thorough answer without being biased. I like it. Someone asking this type off question, on the board or just around, risks getting pointed in the wrong direction. Especially about the profit. If your doing it solely for the profit, don't do it. Especially now that cattle prices are high, they will cyle back down, it's just a matter of when. Nothing worse than buying high, and having the market drop of in front of you.

cypressfarms":18iwwubf said:
Hey Bez,

very thorough answer without being biased. I like it. Someone asking this type off question, on the board or just around, risks getting pointed in the wrong direction. Especially about the profit. If your doing it solely for the profit, don't do it. Especially now that cattle prices are high, they will cyle back down, it's just a matter of when. Nothing worse than buying high, and having the market drop of in front of you.

Thanks for the kind words. I figure I am wrong far more often than I am correct. I just like to talk - sometimes too much according to Wife!! :lol:

Bez'

Latest posts