Getting heifers ready

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for the pics. I hope it's known that my flat comment wasn't meant to insult. It's getting so ugly around here, land selling for $5000 an acre. Within 8 miles of my house the other day, I saw 6 dozers and trackhoes, removing every tree in sight.
Sara and I are lucky, we have 400 acres of planted trees surrounding us, pine and hardwoods. Should be there for another 50 years. I used to think every 40 acres would have a house on it in 10 years, now I think I may be the only one left and be surrounded by cornfields. gs

plumber_greg":3v6hskff said:
Thanks for the pics. I hope it's known that my flat comment wasn't meant to insult. It's getting so ugly around here, land selling for $5000 an acre. Within 8 miles of my house the other day, I saw 6 dozers and trackhoes, removing every tree in sight.
Sara and I are lucky, we have 400 acres of planted trees surrounding us, pine and hardwoods. Should be there for another 50 years. I used to think every 40 acres would have a house on it in 10 years, now I think I may be the only one left and be surrounded by cornfields. gs

No offense was taken. When I bought the place several years before I got back here and retired, I had no thought that I would be into cattle. I get over it with a JD 5083E 4WD, 83 hp. I mow up and down the steep areas but with the 4WD, it is a piece of cake. I just saw your signature, plumberscrack. LOL.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":fb6c9s0i said:
LOVE the new calf - with the "sorta" state of Texas on his head.

Jeanne, that is Star. She is 13 months old now and the one you said was built like a brick you know what. She is out of the first heifer I bought from Keith. She was very small at birth, I assume Keith had her mother bred AI to a CE bull that resulted in the little calf. Her mother died of what I think was bloat. I found her in an area which I had just cleared with my dozer and seeded in beef pasture mix. It came in as a lush stand of Ledino Clover. I think she got too much. Star was about 3 1/2 months old. I drove up and she was standing at the entry gate bawling her little head off. I knew the score right then. I raised her with all the care she deserved. She is extremely gentle but self assured. She was starting to head butt me. I started giving her a slap to the side of her nose with the flat of my hand. Not hard. It totally broke her of that. I pet her everyday. She is more disciplined than my Blue Heeler, Blue. I could never get rid of her. She will live her life under my care for as long as we both shall live, Lord willing.

Good looking heifers... should make you some good replacement cows!!
By the way... really enjoy your pictures! Are you getting much rain where you are at in KY? I am fighting the mud bigtime here in TN right now... supposed to get another 2" betwenn now and tomorrow night.

TN Cattle Man":2ewdj8pg said:
Good looking heifers... should make you some good replacement cows!!
By the way... really enjoy your pictures! Are you getting much rain where you are at in KY? I am fighting the mud bigtime here in TN right now... supposed to get another 2" betwenn now and tomorrow night.

Yes, sir. It is very wet here. It has rained all afternoon and tomorrow it is suppose to rain heavy. The high traffic areas the cows move through are hard for a person to walk through. Seems like any time of year has drawbacks. It is always something. Mud, flies, drought, too much clover, too hot, too cold, too windy, too rainy, wind blowin trees down on fence, rain washing soil away, etc. I just try to forget about the weather and say to myself, "This is real nice, I am going to enjoy it." Hard to do sometime.

Where are you at in TN?

I live in Palmyra (outside of Clarksville) which is considered "Middle Tennessee". We are pretty close to the KY border, about 50 miles north of Nashville.

Brian

Brian, know the area. My son is in Nashville working on his PhD at Vandy. I go down I-65 to get there. I see lots of nice farm land in that area and cattle.

slick4591":3qi9w766 said:
Nice place and cattle. Your hard work shows.

Thank you. It has been a labor of love. I am driven by a need to accomplish goals and convert my dreams into reality. I like to see what I have done. I confess, these pursuits are selfish. If I were the only human on the planet, I would be out there everyday doing it. I love cattle. They are dear to my heart. It is icing on the cake when anyone acknowledges my efforts. I like the icing so thank you very much.

I'll say it again. You would enjoy ai immensely, and you've got the cattle and the set up for it.

The heifers are nice but I like the Blue Dawg. :D

Watch to not fatten those heifers like you have in the past. ;-)

Blue Dawg":35edh6kq said:
The heifers are nice but I like the Blue Dawg. :D

Watch to not fatten those heifers like you have in the past. ;-)

I am trying to keep them lean while still making sure they grow to their potential. I know Star is getting too fat. I worried about that when I saw her this morning. Hey her is my boy (Blue):
14skyft.jpg

2qxonls.jpg

Recent Picture Oct 2012
34go8xu.jpg

glacierridge":2sxq7jzv said:
More protein while they are growing should help build up their growing bodies.
My heifer got too fat on me, but after a diet she was very healthy before her delivery.

How did you get her to lose some fat?

Latest posts