Getting Heifers Bred Back

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper

Reaction score
How soon can a heifer breed back after she has her first calf ? Do they start to cycle 21-28 days after they have their calf ?

Ours sart around 35-40 days after calving, the same as the cows. We'll get one earlier once in a while, but not often enough to count on.

dun

My first heifer had her calf Febuary 7th. Last night when i went to check them i noticed my bull smelling and curling his lip. Then today he was smelling, checking that heifer out. Today would put her right at 21 days. The other 4 that has calfed had their calfs all within 4 days of the first one.

I dont want them to get bred back until April. So i pulled the bull and put him in a different pasture.

But you know i did not think about it until just now. I might be messing up not letting them breed back right now ? Maybe i should let them go ahead and breed back as soon as they will take ?

I just thought by letting them breed in April they would have better weather when it was time for them to calf again ?

I think an average heifer you would find to be closer to 45 to 60 days, but hopefully we all have above average cattle

he was probably just checking her out. i have rarely had a heifer breed back that fast.
now a mature cow as early as 2 weeks, most won't stick, but once in awhile. i had a mother & daughter, that had a calf every 10 months, one the last week in january and then again by december 1st.

most heifers an cows will start cycling in 45 to 60 days after calving.an some breed back on the 1st heat.if a cow is in good condition she will breed back faster.unless she is milking heavy.then it may take her longer to breed back.

If you wait until the 1st of April, you will start calving about January 8th next year.

You did right by pulling the bull out. The more time you can wait on 1st calvers the better. They might cycle, but they might not catch anyway.

If you want, around April 1st, give them a shot of Lutalyse and bring them into heat so you can get them all bred up close again.

Stepper":w74r0v9n said:
But you know i did not think about it until just now. I might be messing up not letting them breed back right now ? Maybe i should let them go ahead and breed back as soon as they will take ?

I just thought by letting them breed in April they would have better weather when it was time for them to calf again ?

You won't hurt them to pull the bull and wait. Probably better for them to wait than to breed back. Gives them time to really clean themselves up. There is a chance that even if she does get bred back right away she would abort, if the uterus wasn't fully recovered from calving.

As for breeding in April so you would calve in good weather, well that would depend on what the weather is like in your area in January and Feb. If its good go ahead, if you want to change til a later time you will have to hold the bull off longer.

Latest posts