Generic Round up, bull nettle, and cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Cormac

Reaction score
I have about 30 bull nettle plants pop up and want to spray them. I have cows and heifers in the same pasture. They have eaten all around the bull nettle but won't touch the plant. I'd like to keep the cows in the pasture for the next month (weaning). I suddenly do not want to make the bull nettle more palatible/interesting with the spray, which I believe is Buccaneer. Any suggestions or guidance?

Roundup or the equivilent will also kill the grass around them. 2,4-d will kill the bull nettle. I've never had the cows show any interst in them after spraying. Unlike some plants that they seem to think the herbicide is a salad dressing for.

grazeon, n I think MSMA n 24d any of these will do the job. As was said they don't hardly eat it, but the seed from it will only increase the populus of the plant. Good luck.

buckwheat

buckwheat":3qm4pmi1 said:
but the seed from it will only increase the populus of the plant. Good luck.

buckwheat

Excellent point. If it's already set seed there isn;t really anything you can do effectively short of digging out each plant.

For bull nettle, my chemical guy recommends 2oz Tordon + 4 oz 2-4D + 2 oz surfactant per gallon of mix to be spot sprayed. This would be similar to Grazon p+d.

Latest posts