gelling sucks

Help Support CattleToday:

baldy

Reaction score
gelled a work p/u last week (f550) had a 30% #1 fuel mix with antigel also. Temp was a steady -34 but I thought I would be okay. I should have been as good as straight #1 shouldn't I? Had a winter front on and closed up. What else should you do?

baldy":74mhnlph said:
gelled a work p/u last week (f550) had a 30% #1 fuel mix with antigel also. Temp was a steady -34 but I thought I would be okay. I should have been as good as straight #1 shouldn't I? Had a winter front on and closed up. What else should you do?
I have never had much luck with anything but #1 when it gets bitterly cold. Those antigels seem to be a real joke Howes has paid for three tows but no longer will guarantee the stuff for my trucks. Camp might know the answer to this one but if memory serves me right #1 has 5% less btu's than #2 does. I will sacrifice 5% anytime rather than have a potload of calves sitting on a truck along side a road out in the middle of nowhere at -30 with a -60 windchill. It is hard on calves, starters, and drivers. Even if it is 15% I still will put #1 in them.

baldy":3khcep0m said:

I don't know your set-up, but you might consider a tank heater and plug it in.

msscamp":2gxxqpvi said:
baldy":2gxxqpvi said:

I don't know your set-up, but you might consider a tank heater and plug it in.
Sounds like a master plan but you had better buy lots of extension cords.

Generic version.

During winter months refiners raise their targets to 690 deg finals on diesel ( to maximize heating oil).
As the final boiling point goes up so does the long chain paraffin (wax) which cause gelling at colder temperatures.

Number 1 has a lower boiling point so it has less long chain paraffin and a lower freeze point, as Somn pointed out you will get less milage as you are getting less pounds of fuel to the gallon.

Latest posts