Sucks

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I was driving back from town today and all of a sudden the brakes didn;t feel riht. Pulled over and saw that the fluid was down a little bit from full. Drove the rest of the way home and the brakes got worse and worse. Turned in the driveway and the brake trouble light finally came on. Parked the truck and checked the fluid, empty.
Crawled underneath and found where the plastic clips that hold the brake lines to the frame both brake lines were corroded. One was corroded through and had fluid coming out of it.
Wrecker hauled it off to the dealers for new brake lines.
I guess I should have sold it to cfpinz as is!

Angus/Brangus":179fsrcn said:
Well, the good thing is they didn't go out as you were coming down a mountainside!
Or on the interstate towing a trailer

Is it too late to cancel my bid on ebay? Haven't made the mrs mad lately have you?

A year or so ago I pulled into the gas station that does my inspections just before they were closing. A friend of mine that works there was shutting down the big garage doors as I pulled in. I goosed the truck to get his attention (no muffler) as I was headed for the door to see if I could get a rise out of him. I hit the brakes, brakes hit the floor. Now is a good time to mention that truck had no emergency brake either. I cut the truck off and popped the clutch just in time to skid up within a foot of the door. Rather than asking him to put an inspection sticker on it next go round, I just sold the truck.

cfpinz

cfpinz":3f78w0lf said:
Is it too late to cancel my bid on ebay? Haven't made the mrs mad lately have you?

A year or so ago I pulled into the gas station that does my inspections just before they were closing. A friend of mine that works there was shutting down the big garage doors as I pulled in. I goosed the truck to get his attention (no muffler) as I was headed for the door to see if I could get a rise out of him. I hit the brakes, brakes hit the floor. Now is a good time to mention that truck had no emergency brake either. I cut the truck off and popped the clutch just in time to skid up within a foot of the door. Rather than asking him to put an inspection sticker on it next go round, I just sold the truck.

cfpinz

I'm surprised that has only happened to you once!

Since you brought it up: Was hauling cattle home last fall when I ripped the wires on the truck loose for the trailer brakes. No problem, it's a dually with new(er) brakes. Turned in the driveway doing about 45mph (90 degree turn) after discovering brake lines took a crap. This truck also lacks an emergency brake.

cfpinz

cfpinz":1tj9f71z said:
Since you brought it up: Was hauling cattle home last fall when I ripped the wires on the truck loose for the trailer brakes. No problem, it's a dually with new(er) brakes. Turned in the driveway doing about 45mph (90 degree turn) after discovering brake lines took a crap. This truck also lacks an emergency brake.

cfpinz

From the looks of your trucks I alwasy thought you used the Fred Flinstone braking method

Hey cfpinz, I still have that old gearbox I took off of the hay mower. It's pretty dang heavy. You can bolt a chain to it and kick it out to use for an emergency brake.

Here's one for you guys. 56 Ford pickup. I coming to a red light where two four lanes cross. Hit the brakes and the pedal goes to the floor. Pull the e-brake and cable snaps. I make the turn through a Krispy Kreme parking lot (smelled good too) doing about 45. Made it though without killing anyone bounced onto the cross 4 lane (thinking wow what a job). Looked in the rear-view to see a cop frantically trying to stop me. Somewhere down the street I rolled to a stop in a gas station. Cop is PO'd I didn't stop. I tell him my brakes failed and he laughed until a mechanic walked out and pointed to the wet spot under the right front tire. This was before dual chamber master cylinders. I had wide wheels and the inside of the wheel wore a hole in the flex brake line. :shock:

Speaking of cop storys:
Back aound 1970 I had a british car with a hydraulic clutch. The clutch went out so I rebuilt it and filled the master cylider with haydraulic fluid. A couple of day later I pulled up to a stop light with a cop in fornt of me. I had the clutch in and all of a sudden the car jumped forward into the cop car. Turns out the brits used pure gum rubber and petroleum based hydraulic fluid turns the rubber to snot. Cop didn;t give me a ticket but followed me back to the shop to see if my story about the clutch failing was true. When I pulled the cups out of the cylinder I thought he was going to hurt himself laughing so hard. Finally went to a break shop and got American made cups that fit and never had another problem.

flaboy?":b8wfynvz said:
Hey cfpinz, I still have that old gearbox I took off of the hay mower. It's pretty dang heavy. You can bolt a chain to it and kick it out to use for an emergency brake.

Here's one for you guys. 56 Ford pickup. I coming to a red light where two four lanes cross. Hit the brakes and the pedal goes to the floor. Pull the e-brake and cable snaps. I make the turn through a Krispy Kreme parking lot (smelled good too) doing about 45. Made it though without killing anyone bounced onto the cross 4 lane (thinking wow what a job). Looked in the rear-view to see a cop frantically trying to stop me. Somewhere down the street I rolled to a stop in a gas station. Cop is PO'd I didn't stop. I tell him my brakes failed and he laughed until a mechanic walked out and pointed to the wet spot under the right front tire. This was before dual chamber master cylinders. I had wide wheels and the inside of the wheel wore a hole in the flex brake line. :shock:

I'm afraid there would have been two wet spots if that had happened to me. One of them would have been in the drivers seat! :shock:

Same here Dun, the cop didn't give me a ticket once he looked under and saw the brake line. He even said "I don't know how you made it through that KK parking lot without hitting something". I told him it was that or rear end the cars stopped at the light.

flaboy?":4p9i8y3o said:

That sounds great. Now I can take the wife off her leash.

Same truck that almost ran thru the garage: Was sitting in traffic an hour from home with the clutch in, firewall spontaneously broke in two. Brakes held truck back but I think the guy in front of me messed himself at all the smoke and noise behind him. Drove it home with no clutch, stoplights were fun.

cfpinz

That sounds great. Now I can take the wife off her leash.

cfpinz[/quote]

OK Dun, call his wife and tell her he said this. :lol: :banana: :lol:

I think we ought to take up a collection to buy cfpinz a new truck. Sounds like he really needs somethink a little better to get around in.

Earl Thigpen":23janpsx said:
I think we ought to take up a collection to buy cfpinz a new truck. Sounds like he really needs somethink a little better to get around in.

Earl - I always knew there was something I liked about you! :)

Newest vehicle I own is a 97 model. The guys at work make fun of me because I refer to it as my "new" truck. At least I think that's why they make fun of me. :oops:

cfpinz

cfpinz":p2p3z51k said:
Earl Thigpen":p2p3z51k said:

Newest vehicle I own is a 97 model. The guys at work make fun of me because I refer to it as my "new" truck. At least I think that's why they make fun of me. :oops:

cfpinz

Don;t those ingrown towmails hurt when you drag your feet to slow down?

dun":a0zb6pp7 said:
cfpinz":a0zb6pp7 said:
Earl Thigpen":a0zb6pp7 said:

cfpinz

How you reckon they got ingrown? Came from all those potholes in Missouri!

cfpinz":38696lc9 said:
dun":38696lc9 said:
cfpinz":38696lc9 said:
Earl Thigpen":38696lc9 said:

cfpinz

Now that I'll agree with but they aren;t as bad as IL

dun":31obw55w said:
cfpinz":31obw55w said:
dun":31obw55w said:
cfpinz":31obw55w said:
Earl Thigpen":31obw55w said:

cfpinz

Now that I'll agree with but they aren;t as bad as IL

Or WV! I think someone in that state accidentally spilled asphalt in between the potholes! Maybe bullbuyer works for WVDOT.

Latest posts