Gelb/Lim Cow Picture

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Okay folks. Here is the shot of my cow that I said I would post. This picture is definitely taken with her in her working clothes. She is a 3yo, has two calves on the ground and is bred back for her third. This picture was taken on the day that she had the little red heifer from my other post. As you can see she certainly lives up to the Gelbvieh rep of being milky. Please feel free to critique her all you want. I do on a regular basis.
Thanks,
Neal
Maig2005.jpg

that cow is milking herself to death.an she shows it.nice looking cow.looks good in her working clothes.i bet she weans off some heavy calves. scott

Good looking cow, looks a little wormy for my part of the country, but your up north, so maybe those cows dont sleek off. I have about 20 cows of this cross. I had used Gelbvieh bulls for about 5 years on the herd. They really gave a real maternal hit on the herd. The herd had a little ear, with a lot of Limousin in it. There were some fullbloods Limiousins in the herd as well, those had been seedstock for club calves. I put both fullblood and purebred Gelbviehs on the herd. The best calves were the Limix Gelb crosses. Those heifers which I retained were easy keeping, a problem for Straight Gelbviehs in my part of the country. I quit using the Gelbvieh bulls when it became almost impossible to find fullbloods here in Texas. Its seems that the Gelbvieh breeders are shooting themselves in the foot with their case for black Gelbs. The red purebreds and black just dont have the muscle or buts that the fullbloods have. Looking at the pics of the post you made earlier with the weaned calves point this out. Both calves have a lot of frame but not enough muscle, especially in the bull calf.

Thank you both for your thoughts. She is a good cow. Like you said HC a little extra winter hair still but we didn't warm up consistently here until late June early July, I think our last frost was June 12. She has slicked down now though and is looking a little trimmer. Her biggest problem is everything that goes into her mouth goes right into that udder. But like Scott said she weans some heavy ones. Last years calf hit the ground at 73 lbs and weaned off around 750, this years calf was 84 on June 17 when she was born and on August 9 when I weighed her at the last show she was 212 so, I can't complain about the way this cow grows her calves. I agree with you completely about trying to find Gelbs with good hinds, I'm trying my darndest to breed that into mine but it takes a while. I would love to be able to use some fullblood semen but can't find any.Here is another pic of one that IMHO is has a nice body and is well rounded in the rump but is lacking considerably in the frame score department. Neal
Maria.jpg

She looks pretty with her slick coat and collar - but no depth.

She goes down the road in my books

Bez'

Brandonm2":mvzqh6ey said:
OH no there must be a Hereford behind the wood pile!!! (3 or 4? generations back)

Or maybe a Jersey, Guernsey, Milking SHorthorn, Holstein, or..................

dun

The ONLY white I see is on the face that would lean the source of the taint heavily toward Hereford or a whitefaced Simmental. The others are possibilities....but less likely possibilities.

That cow may be a hard worker but, she has atleast 2 teats in 2 seperate counties.

Could very well be something with a whiteface in the background on her dam's side. Her dam came to the farm as a Limousin but wasn;t papered so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there was a hereford in her background. In my area registered cattle are not very common until the past 10 years or so, always a lot of beef but never much with provable ancestry, just taking the breeder's word.

Yes, CertHerf in that picture her front teats are mighty well spread, but like I said that was the day she had her calf and she starts bagging early. After a few days of nursing she hangs nice and straight on all four.

Neal

MoonDiskGelbvieh":xje6q3vc said:
Yes, CertHerf in that picture her front teats are mighty well spread, but like I said that was the day she had her calf and she starts bagging early. After a few days of nursing she hangs nice and straight on all four.

Neal

We've got a couple of cows that look like that early in the morning and late in the evening. It's obviously time to feed a calf.

dun

Latest posts