Galloway

Help Support CattleToday:

Newbie and Maggie have made some good posts, the angus and angus imatators are missing the boat. No, they can't see beyond black and even try to rewrite cattle history to make all black cattle angus. Galloway probably predate angus. So maybe angus "stole" the black from Galloway. I seriously doubt that angus breeders could recognize a good cow that wasn't black. Yes, there are some angus cows that are good but a whole lot more that are pretty marginal. To Angus breeders, I say, if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

John S.":1bmezwlg said:
Newbie and Maggie have made some good posts, the angus and angus imatators are missing the boat. No, they can't see beyond black and even try to rewrite cattle history to make all black cattle angus. Galloway probably predate angus. So maybe angus "stole" the black from Galloway. I seriously doubt that angus breeders could recognize a good cow that wasn't black. Yes, there are some angus cows that are good but a whole lot more that are pretty marginal. To Angus breeders, I say, if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.
No John S
The Angus People are not missing the boat. The Angus imitators are trying to catch the Angus boat. The Angus imitators are the ones that are trying to rewrite cattle history by trying to make all black cattle Angus or Angus look alikes. As far as the Angus Breeders not being able to recognize a good cow if she was not black, I think that it is the Angus wannabees that can't recognize a good cow if she isn't black. If they could why would they be trying to make their cattle black to look like Angus; in hair color only.
If they could compete with the Angus they would do it on their on merits,
and not be ANGUS wannabees..
What relation are you to the oregonian?

First of all, not all angus are black. Second, if other breeds have something significant to bring to the table, what is it? Premiums for quality grade, no matter what the genetics ar well worth the trouvle of working for them. There are so many guality angus bulls, black and the real angus, Red, that whatever you are looking for is available. Want high yeield carcass with out that bothersome marbeling, there are angus that will provide it. Want large ribeeye, there are those too. So what do some of the more obscure breeds have to offer. If you wanrt shear yield grade go with established continental breeds, if you wanrt strictly high quality grade, go with angus, if you wnatr both, go with angus. Hmmm. seems to be a thread of logic here. Even if only in my mind. Most of the gallaway babbling seems to center around grass finishing. At what age? Will they generate carcass remiums, either for quality or yeield? I think not. But I'll admit I've never used them. They just didn't seem to have anything to offer that I couldn't find in other breeds. I was at a sale a while ago and when a bunch of blakc calves cmae through the ring the buzz was that they looked like gallaway crosses. I have no idea what a galloway cross would look like, but they rought a bunch less then reds, even though hey were black. Maybe as someone alluded to, all order buyers are tupid. I have a hard time believing that they would be in the busines if they were buying calves that didn;t do the job for their customers.

dun

dun

John S.":2zh5aafh said:

la4angus":3uylvnj7 said:
John S.":3uylvnj7 said:
No John S
The Angus People are not missing the boat. The Angus imitators are trying to catch the Angus boat. The Angus imitators are the ones that are trying to rewrite cattle history by trying to make all black cattle Angus or Angus look alikes. As far as the Angus Breeders not being able to recognize a good cow if she was not black, I think that it is the Angus wannabees that can't recognize a good cow if she isn't black. If they could why would they be trying to make their cattle black to look like Angus; in hair color only.

Why are so many of you jealous of the Angus breeders and association for doing a better job than the rest of us. Ya'll don't get it it's not about hair color it's about quality and genetics. Get off your butt and start improving your cattle, every breed brings something to the table.

Campground Cattle
I could not have said it so eloquently.

Thanks

The American Hereford Assn. could use You on the Board of Directors

WIN BUSH WIN

I agree. It is not the fault of Angus breeders that other breeds are trying to get in on premiums created by the Angus breed. It has created more head ache for the Angus breeders that other breeds are going black because they now have to find other means of identifying Angus genetics i.e. tagging. Everyone wants to blame the Angus people for what other breeds are doing.

la4angus":29wp61gn said:
John S.":29wp61gn said:
No John S

Interesting, I use to see a lot of color predjudice with labs when I was more involved with training our three, one black and two chocs. You see a preference for the black in the lab world with the same black dominant genetics and recessive choc and yellow. Anyway, I was open-minded there. Could never understand how people could view dogs of the same litter(you can have all three colors in one litter with the right genetic mix)so differently. I'm glad my kids are both brunettes, not the inferior blonds or redheads. Just kidding and trying to make a point. Got more info from the Galloway association and some breeders and they just keep looking better for my application. Polled, good hoofs from tromping around the scottish wilds, easy birth, resistant to disease, naturally dark skin pigment giving resistance to eye and skin problems,long hair that sheds in the summer, insulates in the winter leading to less exterior fat, less feed needed to retain body heat, not real selective about what they eat, great breed prepotency because of breed purity so great hybred vigor. Natural selection helped shaped the Galloway and because the land I have in SW WI is very hilly, rocky and cold in winter, warm in summer it mimics the area they were developed. I believe raising purebred Galloways and Galloway/Angus cross will be a good mix.(See I do like Angus!!!!) Not saying one is better than the other, I just can see how in my situation they could complement each other lending favorable characteristic to each. Galloways are predominently black with red, dun and white out there also. Have been bred for meat through their history. I hope I didn't do too good of a sales job so you don't all go out and buy up all the Galloways and drive up the prices on me. This wannabe cowgirl is on a limited budge. One more question. When crossing Angus and Galloway, are you better off with a Galloway bull on Angus heifers or reverse. Galloway cows run about1000 to 1300 lbs, bulls 1800 to 2,000. Thanks!

If you can possibly make it work, I'd recommend AI-ing your heifers to a proven Angus bull with a low birth weight EPD. That should cut down your chances of having to pull calves. If you haven't had the experience of pulling a calf, you haven't missed a thing. Or look for a Galloway bull with a calving ease EPD? They do have EPDs, don't they?

You have to remember that the breed associations are intent on selling their breed so the propaganda may be a little slanted. Also breeders of niche breeds tend to be very vociferous about the qualities of their breed. You will need to use them and see if they work for you. You're intent on doing it, so you might as well just jump in with both feet.
I would tend to use angus cows because you're going to get them a lot cheaper then a herd og gallowasy. Find one of the studs that has galloway semen and AI the cows. That will at least get you off on a good footing.

dun

newbiefarm":1eg77cfx said:
Interesting, I use to see a lot of color predjudice with labs when I was more involved with training our three, one black and two chocs. You see a preference for the black in the lab world with the same black dominant genetics and recessive choc and yellow. Anyway, I was open-minded there. Could never understand how people could view dogs of the same litter(you can have all three colors in one litter with the right genetic mix)so differently. I'm glad my kids are both brunettes, not the inferior blonds or redheads. Just kidding and trying to make a point. Got more info from the Galloway association and some breeders and they just keep looking better for my application. Polled, good hoofs from tromping around the scottish wilds, easy birth, resistant to disease, naturally dark skin pigment giving resistance to eye and skin problems,long hair that sheds in the summer, insulates in the winter leading to less exterior fat, less feed needed to retain body heat, not real selective about what they eat, great breed prepotency because of breed purity so great hybred vigor. Natural selection helped shaped the Galloway and because the land I have in SW WI is very hilly, rocky and cold in winter, warm in summer it mimics the area they were developed. I believe raising purebred Galloways and Galloway/Angus cross will be a good mix.(See I do like Angus!!!!) Not saying one is better than the other, I just can see how in my situation they could complement each other lending favorable characteristic to each. Galloways are predominently black with red, dun and white out there also. Have been bred for meat through their history. I hope I didn't do too good of a sales job so you don't all go out and buy up all the Galloways and drive up the prices on me. This wannabe cowgirl is on a limited budge. One more question. When crossing Angus and Galloway, are you better off with a Galloway bull on Angus heifers or reverse. Galloway cows run about1000 to 1300 lbs, bulls 1800 to 2,000. Thanks!

I agree with your comment about breed associations going a little over the top. Every description of any breed always tells you that they have excellent traits for one thing or another. Any charts they show you will usually only compare breeds that they are better than in those traits. The best bet, I've found when starting out is to try to find someone that has similar land to your own and a similar management style to what you plan to do and buy your first set of cows off of him/her. Different cattle do better under different conditions. Buy cattle that have been bred to do well under the conditions you are going to have and that will give you a jump start. Also remember that for the first while you will probably be buying someone else's culls (cows or heifers that they didn't want to keep for themselves). If you go to a dispersal sale, you might do a little better as long as the person you are buying from doesn't have a totally different operating system than you.

I would go with a Galloway bull and angus females. There are large number of angus females available to be bought. If you are planning on raising registered stock then you might have to have registered stock to begin with. I would buy the best bull I could afford since that is half of your calf crop genetics. Keep us posted on how your enterprise works out. I would stay away for the belties since they have been selected for too many generations for belt quality.

I think that the Black hide problem does exist only in the the US and Canada and is because they are the only countries in the whole World that registered Black whatsover breed, in the rest of the countries the Blacks are not registered unless they are Black Angus.

We, that are not Angus breeders have to admit the benefits Angus breeds give to the beef we raise and produce but Angus breeders have to admit that not only Angus gives does benefits; as an example, as far as I know from several ultrasound test I'd seen Shorthorns marble as well as Angus and Salers is close.

We need to respect other people opinions instead of making a storm in a glass of water

I agree but the black hide up here can gain you another 15-20 cents a pound over the other colors so it is important to have the right color even if it is not angus. I do see a trend towards those identifiable traits that you see in some english breeds such as the white face on the herefords and the motley colors of the shorthorn. I'm guessing that the buyers are just looking for some indication of the good marbling (english) breeds.

Latest posts