Galloway Stock Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have purchased a couple batches of Galloway or Galloway cross calves, and I have been very impressed. They are very calm, cold tolerant, healthy, and have an average growth rate. Some of the belted and wf crosses can have very unusual markings but I manage to overlook that.

Why don't we see more moderate sized Galloway or Galloway cross brood cows bred to terminal Continential bulls in the northern states?

i just hate to hear about a poor little Galloway having some massive Continental bull baby.

Have only seen a handfull of galloways and they have all been very small framed. A friend of mine has some belted galloways and used a small belted galloway bull and HARD PULLED 4 of 8 calves and lost 3 of them and one cow. I will stick with my herefords and black baldies. JHH

I am with Aero and JHH. The belted Galloways I see around here are small cattle, more so than most Angus and Hereford cows. They may be a little small for a Continental terminal sire.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't see more of 'em in your part of the world, with their hair and hardiness and all. I've seen them crossed with Angus(B & R), Shorthorn, Hereford(H & P), Highland, Welsh Black, Speckled Park, Murray Grey, Limousin, Gelbvieh, Simmental and composites. Every cross I've seen has been impressive. The man who started our direct-marketing network has crossed Galloways, Highlands and Limos for years, and he's got some very impressive cows. He's never griped much about calving problems.

The thing about Galloways is they have alot more pelvic area than you might think. There's been research done into measuring pelvic area and I've heard Galloways were among the top 3, but admittedly that is second-hand info. When I took my A.I. course I was still a die-hard Angus man, and of the 15 head we practiced on and everything I've done since, the only thing that had as much room as Galloway cows, were 2 Hays Converters at the course.

Latest posts