From James Taranto's blog

Help Support CattleToday:

john250

Reaction score
James Taranto writes a blog for the Wall St Journal. I get it in my email. Free. I clipped two items from today. Note that the hero professor was 76 yrs old and a holocaust survivor. I've read elsewhere that the man was at the top of his field.
And the second item. Gun control doesn't make us safer.

He Died Saving His Class
For those of us whose job it is to have opinions, an event like yesterday's massacre at Virginia Tech is a bigger challenge than, say, a terrorist attack. The murder of 32 people by South Korea native Cho Seung-hui is no less evil than massacres carried out by suicide bombers or hijackers, but it is harder to comprehend. Terrorism is carried out by an organized enemy with a political agenda; we can rally to defeat the enemy. The Virginia Tech shooter seems to have been a lone nut. He murdered all those people only to render his own life a nullity by committing suicide in the end.

So let's just note one act of heroism amid the horror, as reported by the Jerusalem Post:

Professor Liviu Librescu, 76, threw himself in front of the shooter when the [murderer] attempted to enter his classroom. The Israeli mechanics and engineering lecturer was shot to death, "but all the students lived--because of him," Virginia Tech student Asael Arad--also an Israeli--told Army Radio.

Several of Librescu's other students sent e-mails to his wife, Marlena, telling of how he had blocked the gunman's way and saved their lives, said Librescu's son, Joe.

"My father blocked the doorway with his body and asked the students to flee," Joe Librescu said in a telephone interview from his home outside of Tel Aviv. "Students started opening windows and jumping out."

Librescu was a Holocaust survivor who escaped communist Romania for Israel in 1978 and moved to Virginia in 1986. By coincidence, he was murdered on Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Massacre at a Gun-Free School
Predictably, opponents of Second Amendment rights seized opportunistically on the Virginia Tech massacre. "It is long overdue for us to take some common-sense actions to prevent tragedies like this from continuing to occur," said a statement from the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. White House spokeswoman Dana Perino got questions like this one in yesterday's press briefing:

Columbine, Amish school shooting, now this, and a whole host of other gun issues brought into schools--that's not including guns on the streets and in many urban areas and rural areas. Does [sic] there need to be some more restrictions? Does there need to be gun control in this country?

And of course the New York Times, while noted that "it is premature to draw too many lessons from this tragedy," draws one anyway:

What is needed, urgently, is stronger controls over the lethal weapons that cause such wasteful carnage and such unbearable loss.

But there is another side to this argument. Longtime readers may recall the lead item in our Jan. 18, 2002, column, which concerned a shooting spree at another Virginia institution of higher learning, the Appalachian School of Law. The gunman, Peter Odighizuwa, killed three, and probably would have killed more but for another student's gun:

Students ended the rampage by confronting and then tackling the gunman, officials said.

"We saw the shooter, stopped at my vehicle and got out my handgun and started to approach Peter," Tracy Bridges, who helped subdue the shooter with other students, said Thursday on NBC's "Today" show. "At that time, Peter threw up his hands and threw his weapon down. Ted was the first person to have contact with Peter, and Peter hit him one time in the face, so there was a little bit of a struggle there."

Appalachian is a private institution, Virginia Tech a public one; and Virginia law prohibits guns on campus. Early last year there was an effort in the state Legislature to change that law, but it died in committee. As the Roanoke Times reported at the time:

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

There are reasons one may be wary of arming academia. College students spend a lot of time drinking and carousing, and so perhaps they're better off without firearms. Academic disputes can get vicious; we wouldn't want them to get bloody. But it does not seem a stretch to think that if Cho Seung-hui had encountered someone else with a gun, fewer people would lie dead at Virginia Tech.

I read a statement by one of Professor Liviu Librescu's students saying that he looked back at the Professor and he was trying to hold the door shut while allowing his students to escape. I had no idea that he was 76 years old and a Holocaust survivor. He is definitely a hero.

This is all just so grievous...so terrifying...so heartbreaking...

Alice

Now is the time to start hammering on our elected officials and convince them that this is the type of tragedy that happens in a defenseless society.Z

A true hero indeed. Lets all hope that this man is remembered as such. I am sure his students will never forget!

I think we might say that the professor was not only a hero, but a "man" as a man should be.

Watching Good Morning America Tues. AM, I lost respect for Diane Sawyer and Robyn Roberts.
The witch hunt is on and the vultures are out.
In response to questions, the President of the school explained what actions were initially taken and why. Made sense to me. But Ms. Roberts just wouldn't let it go about why the school was not locked down after reports of the first shooting. They just don't want to understand that a large university is not a one building high school. It is more like a fair sized town or small city. The VT website says they have eight colleges and a graduate school. They have more than 25 thousand students.

If there is a shooting in a neighborhood or at a store in a town, they deal with it at that site. They don't lock up every building in town.
Many or most of the students were not in classes, but were in transit. They couldn't very well be locked down. The President pointed out they were trying to avoid a situation of mass chaos.

I talked to an employee at another large university about this. I was told that mass emails are the way they communicate to a large number of students as fast as possible. I asked about locking down a large school and was told, "No way. It is just not that simple."

Then Ms. Sawyer had to get on the gun issue. It was not so much the words she said, but the meaning she gave to the words by her tone of voice. :mad: :mad: :mad:
She empasized that the 9mm is a gun favored by POLICE. Implication was, as I took it, that only police should have such a devastating weapon. Not the people. She didn't mention that it is also very popular with the criminal element.

So the blame game is on and they want to find someone or something to crucify.

For my part, my respect goes to the president, faculty, campus police, and all others who had a part in acting in the best manner at the time to protect lives as best they could.

Good post, Ryder. I agree. Some people are quick to blame others for things no one could possibly have any control over. Those who say that a 25,000 student university should have been "locked down" are either very naive or very stupid. It's impossible.

I think it is a shame that the president of school will probably be fired or resign over this. But what can you do to prepare for the unthinkable? That school has about the same amount of people in the student body as the population of Cleburne, a town I live near and frequent. I was trying to imagine what a hard time anyone would have convincing the population of Cleburne to lock down and stay where they are while someone may or may not be out there. No one even knew where he was or if it was one man or what. And if all the building had been locked down, then he would have just shot people on the campus grounds or parking lots.

But this was one lone nut. There are all kinds of things that might have been done, but hindsight is 20/20 and there's nothing that can be done to change what happened.

I don't believe in taking anyone's guns away, although I do think that handsguns are made to kill people and maybe not everyone should own one. I don't believe in arming teachers. That's one way for a nut job teacher, and there are a few out there, to kill a student because he or she feels intimidated.

What I do believe is that we should all take better care of one another and try to treat everyone as we would be treated ourselves. And I think we have to forgive because forgiveness is the only way to rid our souls of the poison of hate.

I also believe that the news media need to leave those poor people alone. They are after ratings, pure and simple and if there is no news, by God, they'll make some.

VanC":5djcbtq8 said:
Good post, Ryder. I agree. Some people are quick to blame others for things no one could possibly have any control over. Those who say that a 25,00 student university should have been "locked down" are either very naive or very stupid. It's impossible.

Might as well try to lock down a small city - because that is what it is.

Cannot be done.

Bez>

This may not be the time to say this but why is the lone hero in this story a 76yr old man? With all the young people there the hero is a senior citizen. Does this say anything about the young people we are raising today? Truly a tragic story. I'm afraid it won't be the last. Just here in Texas we have the Clock tower at UT, JFK, and Lubys in Killeen. None of the things the politicians do or say can stop a lone nut job.

Walt

Back when we watched tv I was always a fan of the Today Show and Katie Curic. (I was watching them when the first plane hit the WTC.) I heard this morning on the radio that she is in Va. But has refused to be interviewed. The quote I heard that she did make was that this was about V.T. and not the media.Z

Txwalt":p3tl6i1e said:
This may not be the time to say this but why is the lone hero in this story a 76yr old man? With all the young people there the hero is a senior citizen. Does this say anything about the young people we are raising today? Truly a tragic story. I'm afraid it won't be the last. Just here in Texas we have the Clock tower at UT, JFK, and Lubys in Killeen. None of the things the politicians do or say can stop a lone nut job.

Walt

No this is an extraordinary individual "man" who has defied all odds before.He was a well kown humanitarian and loved his students like his own children he was acting like any "father or grandfather" should.

And if you hear the other stories how the young men and women reacted and actually helped to stop this "can not even say what he should be called" from harming others they are all extraordinary individuals so this means that there are alot of parents doing it right.Listen to the interviews and you will hear how grounded and well spoken these young individuals are.

Several of the previous posts are right on when talking about this media obsession with 'locking down' the school. This is a HUGE school (and a beautiful campus at that) - too many of these media types have never been out of the big city to appreciate the magnitude of what they are asking.

VanC":24rzfswr said:
Good post, Ryder. I agree. Some people are quick to blame others for things no one could possibly have any control over. Those who say that a 25,000 student university should have been "locked down" are either very naive or very stupid. It's impossible.

Not to mention if there was a shooter at large, the last place I would want to be is locked down with him. Forget lock down, if did anything I would say clear the campus, everyone get off campus there is a shooter at large.

Especially would not want to be locked down with no way to defend myself. If they did lock down, that shooter would be hiding as a student and be locked down with them. Nothing would have changed.

26000 students, 2600 acres some wooded areas, not counting professors, vendors, other employees. lock it down??
this is not a jr or high school with a structured regiem, students live on campus others are traveling to and from campus some are going out for a cup of coffee, others returning from a part time job.
lock it down, yea right this is a as big as a small town folks , and not surrounded by fences etc!!!
to the professors family
may god bless him and you :heart:

Latest posts