Friend wants to know

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo

Reaction score
Got this e-mail from a friend-- i don't have the answer
Thought someone here might
----------------------------------------------------------

I've got the oddest question - it's been bugging me for a while and I can't find the answer online.

There's a farm near me where they used to raise draft horses (Percherons). Last year they brought in cattle (cows) and now that's all they raise.

I get the impression that it's a blood stock operation of some kind. The animals are very uniform and have a sort of classy look to them, if you know what I mean, and the calves were all purebred apparently. And they are stocked at about 7 acres a head (cow/calf).

They are HUGE and red colored, no white. The color is very deep and uniform across the whole herd. They are massive, not especially milky looking, long bodied but not all that deep through the body (not stumpy legged). Long necks, developed shoulders, normal looking ears.

Today they just put a bull out. They didn't have one last year, I assume they purchased the cows bred. He's a bit darker than the rest of the herd but still a clear unmarked red. He has distinctly humped shoulders and I swear he stands seven feet tall! He looks tall enough to step right over the horse fencing they've got them in. Granted my experience with cattle is limited but I've seen several breeds next door and at your place and these critters are to any other cattle I've seen, what Percherons are to regular horses!

Please put me out of my misery and tell me you know what I"m talking about! :)

Well, I have four possibilities. Red Brangus, Norwegian Red, Santa Gertrudis, or Beefmaster.

A Genetic line of either of these breeds COULD be manifesting their phenotype as large representatives of the breed.

Go to the headquarters of the farm (Ranch) and ASK them what breed it is!

Don't be shy. Knock on the door, and say, "Excuse me, but I have been admiring your beautiful cattle, and am overwhelmed with curiosity. Please tell me about what breed they are, and where they came from!" The very WORST thing that could happen would be for them to tell you to "Get Lost."

Then rush back to your computer and tell us what they said! Maybe we could start a new breed named "Get Lost Reds!"

DOC HARRIS

If they are dark red, possibly Salers or Red Angus, though the breed in general aren't huge. I agree with Dun that it could be Devons since they are dark red, but I don't think of them being "huge" either.

South Devons can get pretty big but typically they are dark red either.

:oops:

Wow, I need another cup of coffee. What I mean't to say in my previous email is that Red Angus and Salers typically aren't huge.

I also mean't to say that South Devons can get pretty big but typically aren't deep red.

Now, I'm off to get another cup of Maxwell House.

If he put the bull in yesterday, they are looking for fall calving. Cool weather cattle? Exactly what climate are these animals in? We can't tell from an email post. Fall calving kind of rules out Bos Indicus for me and red Brangus is out because he said, "normal ear".

They are around north/ central NC.

I kinda thought they should stop and ask- but they are too shy :)
They are going to take a picture for me to post next time they go by.

They could be Red Chiangus. If they are high % Chi. There used to be a few around in that part of the country.

Latest posts