Freezing Rain Forecast

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1d6j8wxa said:
If I could get the pictures off of my iphone I have a couple to post. Only got about 3/8 inch of ice then it wwarmed up so that the stuff on the ground started to thaw. Gonna freeze more tonight with more freezing rain on top of it. It's gonna be one slickery devil in the morning
Looks like you still got stuff coming down.Please post update. Thoughts are with you.At least we know ice won't stay long term with warmer temps in forecast!

reeler":2iyilfvq said:
dun":2iyilfvq said:
If I could get the pictures off of my iphone I have a couple to post. Only got about 3/8 inch of ice then it wwarmed up so that the stuff on the ground started to thaw. Gonna freeze more tonight with more freezing rain on top of it. It's gonna be one slickery devil in the morning
Looks like you still got stuff coming down.Please post update. Thoughts are with you.At least we know ice won't stay long term with warmer temps in forecast!
It's been a weird night. Been raining most of the night. Temp fluctuates from freezing to just above. On the ground it's staying liquid on hard surfaces it's turning to ice.

Pleasantly surprised, accumulation didn't amount to much and we didn't even have to break ice in the pond but forecasting the worst to hit this afternoon/evening. That said, there are definitely slick spots and I discovered I can still execute a perfect split. On the grass, no less. :dunce:

TCRanch":2af2lwiu said:
Pleasantly surprised, accumulation didn't amount to much and we didn't even have to break ice in the pond but forecasting the worst to hit this afternoon/evening. That said, there are definitely slick spots and I discovered I can still execute a perfect split. On the grass, no less. :dunce:
How you feelin after yesterday's acrobats?

Birds are still chirping here. Trees are starting to gold in to the rain. Sun just started to try to poke through. Not sure what going to happen today.

dun":kbd8m8pd said:
reeler":kbd8m8pd said:
dun":kbd8m8pd said:
It's been a weird night. Been raining most of the night. Temp fluctuates from freezing to just above. On the ground it's staying liquid on hard surfaces it's turning to ice.
Any update Dun? Thanks for your advice on original post question-i gave access to barn vs pen up.The calves were eating hay in barn this AM, cows outside,all slept together under cedars.You were right!

dun":18625m9a said:

Tho we very rarely have ice here, we do have times where it's drizzling rain non-stop and temps at or just above freezing. It's bad enough on people, and driving but I really feel sorry for cattle in those kinds of conditions. Do folks up there usually have enough run-in shed space for them, or like here, most have to just stand out there and take it?

WalnutCrest":1hu1464t said:
Birds are still chirping here. Trees are starting to gold in to the rain. Sun just started to try to poke through. Not sure what going to happen today.
Sounds like you dodged a bullet there.we did too,just have several limbs down. Now focus is on Chiefs game!

greybeard":1vp7rma3 said:
dun":1vp7rma3 said:

Tho we very rarely have ice here, we do have times where it's drizzling rain non-stop and temps at or just above freezing. It's bad enough on people, and driving but I really feel sorry for cattle in those kinds of conditions. Do folks up there usually have enough run-in shed space for them, or like here, most have to just stand out there and take it?
In my area the run-in sheds usually will not hold the entire herd. I enquired with locals before building mine & was not encouraged to build it.But as Dun said, it's good to offer a bedding area in bad weather.My calves utilized it.

WalnutCrest":1ux0ciaa said:
Mom 45 minutes ENE from us) says she's still expecting up to 3/4" of ice. A friend 45 minutes due east has been without power for several hours.
Very sorry to hear that.In light of that, my previous post was insensitive :hide: Hopefully with the warm up starting Monday, it will get rid of the ice quickly.

reeler":5wpd9egs said:
TCRanch":5wpd9egs said:
How you feelin after yesterday's acrobats?

Little sting in the inner thighs but not as bad as expected - and definitely not as bad as my left foot, which now resembles an eggplant after getting stepped full-on. At least it was one of our smaller cows :roll:

reeler":tfa1rsl5 said:
greybeard":tfa1rsl5 said:
dun":tfa1rsl5 said:

In my area the run-in sheds usually will not hold the entire herd. I enquired with locals before building mine & was not encouraged to build it.But as Dun said, it's good to offer a bedding area in bad weather.My calves utilized it.

We put out extra straw for bedding in the pastures yesterday and only a couple of the heifers sought shelter in the shed, none of the cows in the central pasture went to the barn.

In my neck of the woods (St. Clair county MO), this "big ice storm" has been a flop.

Friday was the worst, with 1/8-3/16" of ice on trees, vehicles, etc. Gravel was covered pretty good, but the paved roads were not bad at all.

No accumulation yesterday or last night. It's just above freezing with on and off light rain today, 90% of the ice has melted.

I'm happy to agree with Atimm693. We got some much needed rain (1.4 as of early this afternoon & it's still coming down) and while there was definitely a fair amount of ice, the ground was warm/wet enough it didn't amount to much.

Soooo, how much does a Meteorologist get paid for being accurate probably 30% of the time?

TCRanch":16e0nzzv said:
I'm happy to agree with Atimm693. We got some much needed rain (1.4 as of early this afternoon & it's still coming down) and while there was definitely a fair amount of ice, the ground was warm/wet enough it didn't amount to much.

Soooo, how much does a Meteorologist get paid for being accurate probably 30% of the time?
I told my grandson he should become a weather guesser because he could be wrong most of the time and still not get fired

WalnutCrest":v1itnmdm said:
Mom (45 minutes ENE from us) says she's still expecting up to 3/4" of ice. A friend 45 minutes due east has been without power for several hours.
How's it going today?

Atimm693":1zbqrf5b said:
In my neck of the woods (St. Clair county MO), this "big ice storm" has been a flop.

Friday was the worst, with 1/8-3/16" of ice on trees, vehicles, etc. Gravel was covered pretty good, but the paved roads were not bad at all.

No accumulation yesterday or last night. It's just above freezing with on and off light rain today, 90% of the ice has melted.
Glad all's well in your neck of the woods!

TCRanch":dtb30yoi said:

Wish we could all get paid like that on those odds.Speaking of odds- doing the splits & getting stepped on all in the same day, wow how you feelin?

Latest posts