Freemartin Question

Help Support CattleToday:

BRAFORDMAN

Reaction score
I was just curious
I've read on here that some free martins will breed but won't carry to full term.
Is it possible to flush a free Martin for embryos?
If she was from.good genetics and was built nice.

The short answer is no.
Long answer, it is so exceptionally rare to get a freemartin that developed far enough to even have a normal heat cycle much less the ability to concieve on it that your chances of getting any viable embryos are about zilch. Especially when you consider that embryo collection is fairly hit and miss on normally functioning cattle.

Even if it was possible I'd question you as to why you would want to reproduce the genetics of twinning.

cow pollinater":3t8yniu2 said:
The short answer is no.
Long answer, it is so exceptionally rare to get a freemartin that developed far enough to even have a normal heat cycle much less the ability to concieve on it that your chances of getting any viable embryos are about zilch. Especially when you consider that embryo collection is fairly hit and miss on normally functioning cattle.

Even if it was possible I'd question you as to why you would want to reproduce the genetics of twinning.

What CP said.....

I am amazed at the continual fascination with freemartins.....

twins in cattle are normally a pain in the butt....
often one has to be grafted or bottle raised....
heifers born twin to a bull are freemartins....
bulls born twin to a heifer and raised as twins are seldom going to be in the running for development as bulls at weaning.
it takes a good cow in a good environment to raise decent twins and stay in condition and breed back.
twins present obstetrical problems at a higher rate than singles....

My heifer had twins this summer and I've done a lot of research as a result, 1 out of 13 females born to a twin bull will be a normal breeder.
I had my heifer twin blood tested as she is at the age that she could end up a fair market calf for one of my nieces or nephews if she was a confirmed freemartin.

A blood test is the best way to confirm if they will be able to breed.

Part of me was a little sad but it is what it is.
I can just count my blessings that the delivery was perfect, my cow healed and bred back after 3 months and the calves are healthy and growing well.

IMAG1095-1.jpg

Snootzie at 22 months old, two weeks before delivery

nursetwins.jpg

twins nursing as newborns, sorry the pic is kinda small

snootzietwins.jpg

Millie and Milo thriving at about two months old here.

GL - cute!
As any of the old-timers on here know --- I HATE TWINS!!!!
Yes, occasionally, things can go perfect - but not high odds. I have had super success (cow raised both twin heifers - sold 1 as 2yr old c/c for $6000 & other is still in my herd ) and super failure - both twins born dead (too numerous to mention), cow wouldn't rebreed. That's both ends of the spectrum - but they are almost ALWAYS more trouble then they are worth.
Even the slightest THOUGHT of flushing a freemartin is beyond me.
Don't know where you heard that they might breed but don't carry the calf.
Either they are a BREEDER or NOT. Not much chance of being "in-between".
For a nominal fee, you can get her tested if you are dead set on hoping to put her in your herd.

Thanks, they are out of the red Sim bull, Ishee Red Density. Oddly enough the freemartin is the first heifer we have ever gotten from him. He maybe has some strong Y-carrying sperm. LOL.
We are more than okay with it, any healthy calf can make money and it makes it easy to not accidentally inbreed.
:lol:

And I agree, twins are not my ideal either. I like them when everything goes perfect and they both are strong and healthy, but I would prefer a single birth anytime. Exponentially lower risk of any troubles.
I feel very lucky both are thriving and momma bred back so easy and quick. I could have just as easily lost both and had to sell momma too... You never know what extreme you can get with twins

glacierridge":noymxcsv said:
And I agree, twins are not my ideal either. I like them when everything goes perfect and they both are strong and healthy, but I would prefer a single birth anytime. Exponentially lower risk of any troubles.
I feel very lucky both are thriving and momma bred back so easy and quick. I could have just as easily lost both and had to sell momma too... You never know what extreme you can get with twins
In your situation, hand feeding the moms, leaving twins on the dam isn't quite as stressful as with most c/c operations, where the cow is outdoors making a living eating grass or hay. Without suppliment, it's hard for the cow to milk well enough to do a decent job raising the twins - and also keeping her BCS so that she breeds back. Not saying they can't, just "generally" don't hold up.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":diqtqhj8 said:
glacierridge":diqtqhj8 said:
In your situation, hand feeding the moms, leaving twins on the dam isn't quite as stressful as with most c/c operations, where the cow is outdoors making a living eating grass or hay. Without suppliment, it's hard for the cow to milk well enough to do a decent job raising the twins - and also keeping her BCS so that she breeds back. Not saying they can't, just "generally" don't hold up.

Oh yeah, for sure.
She still didn't have enough milk for two, but we were lucky enough to have others that did that helped.
A friend of mine who raises Herefords had twin heifers this spring, they are a regular c/c farm, the mother rejected the one and died, but that's how it can go. :(

Latest posts