Freakin' headgate...

Help Support CattleToday:

cmjust0

Reaction score
So, I buried a crosstie in the barn the other day, spaced headgate-wide from one of the barn's structural posts. Got'er about three feet deep and dropped in two 80lb sacks of concrete. Good and solid.

So, I drag the automatic headgate over to the posts to position it in place only to realize that the posts can't be taller than the headgate.

Why?

Well, because the folks at the headgate factory decided that it would be A-okeydokey to have all the mechanics at the top of the gate come out beyond the mounting flanges, which are flush with the body of the gate itself.

Now, normally I'd just cut the posts off. However, since one of the posts is a barn post, that's not really an option. Plus, I kinda don't wanna run my chainsaw through an 8,000 year old used crosstie which, judging by the various cut-off steel rods on the outside, more than likely contains a few "surprises."

So now I gotta put 2"-3" blocks in between the gate and the posts to allow the mechanical stuff to clear the posts when the catches swing open and closed.

Once I got it figured out, I couldn't help but wonder why in the world they didn't simply extend the mounting flanges back a few inches.. How simple would that have been, ya know?

Eh, anyway.. Just ranting I guess..

Best to always "dry fit" everything before you get it cast in stone. Too many times in my life I welded up things only to have to cut them back a part. You can scream, throw things, and it doesn't do a bit of good. Best to just fix it and learn from your mistakes. It is what I try to do anyway.

backhoeboogie":ho8ad855 said:
Best to always "dry fit" everything

That's good advice for sure.. I got lucky this time, since the workaround won't really compromise anything seriously or be overly difficult.

A PITA, yeah... But I coulda been trying to dig a couple-hundred pound crosstie out of 160lbs of concrete right about now.. :eek: