Calf chute/headgate

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on a headgate or chute for working calves...

The Stampede chute we use for the cows is an abomination for working anything smaller than 500# - too much room up front for them to stick their heads off in the corners, brisket bar is in the way, and even at the narrowest setting, the headgate won't hold even some of the weaning-age calves, much less smaller ones... they can pull back out of it. And... it's a PITA to chase them all the way up the alley... only to have them turn around and come running back over you.
So... planning to put an offshoot off the alley farther back toward the holding pen, leading directly to a 'calf-working' chute or headgate.
Not looking for a 'calf-table'... not gonna be doing any branding, don't see the need to lay 'em over to castrate... just need a reliable calf-size headgate or chute that'll work for calves 100# to 500#.
Have both an old Priefert 85 and an ancient Ward Welding headgate, neither of which will close down narrow enough to reliably hold a small calf's head... or I'd just use them. Thinking I may have to build one out of lumber... have plans, and it ain't rocket surgery, but...
Have even kind of looked around on the 'net for goat/sheep working chutes/headgates...

Let's hear from you.

Priefert model 91 headgate will hold newborns. But they are kinda expensive. I have another old headgate that is a scissor type that will catch calves but I don't really like it. It's Wadler Super Head Hunter model 103.

Lucky, I have what I guess is a calf table though it just tips them over flat on the ground. I can catch calves in it up to about 150kg and there is no need to tip them over if not wanted. It is just two sides hinged at the base, one side is fixed and the other side you pull open then slam against them to catch their head and also squeeze them. I have it at the end of a narrow calf race. Simple but works well.

Ken

The Titan chute we use when working calves isn't small enough for a lot of them when they're appx 3 months so we run up to 4 at a time & crowd them together for shots then open the side panel to let them out. If we need to band or castrate a bull calf one of my crew gets in there with him. If I'm working a calf at the barn the Priefert can generally accommodate them but sometimes it's just easier for me to get in there & squeeze 'em.

I also use a priefert 91 also and it will hold them but I do kind of like TC on newborns. I get in the chute and use my legs and arms to guide them into the head gate that is barely opened. The wife pulls the handle down the rest of the way and then hands me the shots which I apply while still standing behind the calf. I band them if needed.

Standing behind them with some pressure keeps them from squirming and you can do quite a few in a hurry with a good helper to hand you supplies and keeping the records.
I had a Filson with saloon doors before the Priefert. It wasn't user friendly at all with small calves.

i have a preifert calf chute. it seems pretty nice. I've only had 1 in it so far but it worked good I guess.

need to get it setup to run them and really test it out.

Latest posts