Frame size

Help Support CattleToday:

Deep, long, lots of capacity. A nice cow. To judge height, there is not a reference like a gate or something. Just from the picture, she does look tall.

That soggy deep body. And your worried about a little extra frame..judging from ground to gut, she needs it...if shes doing that on grass...give me a complete package like that,any day..

It is probably environmental or fescue related but if a cow was here in that condition she would not deal well with the heat and would also probably mover to a point that she would be infertile. Bonsma said that a ball of fat in the brisket is a sign of past abortions so it is not a positive for me. But there have been cattle here that would migrate to such a condition but they fell out or I sold them. I am not saying that she is not idea for you but here she would not be the poster child. I'd say that she weighs 1600.

My opinion, if the cow is doing what you want her to within your management, then she is working good, regardless of being a larger frame. I have always tended to have cows that were fairly large frame, because that seems to be what the markets around here wants as far as feeder calves. Smaller framed, fleshy calves are docked. It is a balancing act for sure, the desired end product type is somewhat antagonistic to the desired cow type. I am currently coming to the mindset to moderate the average cow size down a little and still utilize a little larger frame bull on some to try to strike the balance. Back in the winter we culled out a few cows that weighed from 1600-1800 lbs, in those cases those cows were not producing calves any heavier than the others.

She's just big all around.. As long as she's making a calf that's in line with her feed bill I don't see a problem with her.. well.. maybe it's just the pic but her hind legs look a little funny

Ebenezer said:
Bonsma said that a ball of fat in the brisket is a sign of past abortions so it is not a positive for me.

Huh, never heard that before. just thought it was fat. don't see it much out here on range cows, but show cattle all seem to look like that, :???:

Personally I like her. I have a smaller framed easy keeping cow. She has had 4 calves and so far seems to be fertile. I had some concerns early. Have retained one daughter and lost one as a yearling. The daughter isn't as easy of a keeper but a nice cow.
We have a few cows as big or bigger than this cow. We keep them simply because they produce what the buyers want. We have a 5.5 frame Hereford bull now that is siring nice calves. Hoping they have enough frame for the buyers. He is big boned, long and heavy muscled. 2,150-2,200 in the pasture breeding. We will know this fall if they have enough frame to satisfy the buyer. Our plan is to retain his baldy daughters and if needed using a larger framed bull.

Hippie Rancher said:
Ebenezer said:
Bonsma said that a ball of fat in the brisket is a sign of past abortions so it is not a positive for me.

Huh, never heard that before. just thought it was fat. don't see it much out here on range cows, but show cattle all seem to look like that, :???:

I don't see it as indicate previous abortions, just having had a year of "holidays", perhaps they lost the calf for whatever reason and just pigged out for a year.. We had one cow we slaughtered after she had summer holidays, we trimmed 200 lbs of fat off the carcass before it even went to hang, then 200 lbs more came off.. she was FAAAATTTT

Nesikep said:
Hippie Rancher said:
Ebenezer said:

I don't see it as indicate previous abortions, just having had a year of "holidays", perhaps they lost the calf for whatever reason and just pigged out for a year.. We had one cow we slaughtered after she had summer holidays, we trimmed 200 lbs of fat off the carcass before it even went to hang, then 200 lbs more came off.. she was FAAAATTTT

ah, OK that makes sense

Named'em Tamed'em said:

To me this is a large frame cow, too large for me but she's mine. :)

6 year old New Design 878 girl, easy to handle, gets bred AI every time. Some are just pigs.

Is she out of Hal-Way genetics? She looks like one of their cattle. I don't understand the whole ta do about the extra fat in the brisket, mine all carry extra storage there and none have aborted. Typically when I see that in this area, I think that cows and easy keeper.

Yes, I would say she is an easy keeper - lol. Sure has the fat pockets by tail head and the brisket. You say she breeds to AI - meaning she has a calf every 12 months? Was she a fall calver or nursing a calf now?
Edit: Frame size has nothing to do with her weight. A frame 5 cow can weigh 1800# and a frame 8 can weigh 1800# - in same BCS. I would take the frame 5.

CreekAngus said:
Named'em Tamed'em said:

To me this is a large frame cow, too large for me but she's mine. :)

6 year old New Design 878 girl, easy to handle, gets bred AI every time. Some are just pigs.

Is she out of Hal-Way genetics? She looks like one of their cattle. I don't understand the whole ta do about the extra fat in the brisket, mine all carry extra storage there and none have aborted. Typically when I see that in this area, I think that cows and easy keeper.

She is out of a Coleman Mt 50/50 lim-flex cow.

Angus/Limo

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Yes, I would say she is an easy keeper - lol. Sure has the fat pockets by tail head and the brisket. You say she breeds to AI - meaning she has a calf every 12 months? Was she a fall calver or nursing a calf now?
Edit: Frame size has nothing to do with her weight. A frame 5 cow can weigh 1800# and a frame 8 can weigh 1800# - in same BCS. I would take the frame 5.

Here in Western Wa, where both of us reside, it's almost impossible to over feed our cattle, when cattle look like this, it's truly because they are easy keepers. We only have pasture two months out of the year (three if managed well) and our grass hay is typically marginal, a lot of folks do put up wrapped hay, improving the cause. Most of us get by, just feeding grass hay and throwing out a protein tub. Most grains or supplemental feeds are cost prohibitive to us.

CreekAngus said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley said:

Here in Western Wa, where both of us reside, it's almost impossible to over feed our cattle, when cattle look like this, it's truly because they are easy keepers. We only have pasture two months out of the year (three if managed well) and our grass hay is typically marginal, a lot of folks do put up wrapped hay, improving the cause. Most of us get by, just feeding grass hay and throwing out a protein tub. Most grains or supplemental feeds are cost prohibitive to us.
they are to a lot of us....

Same here. I can't even afford protein tubs - but "normally" I would never need it with my baleage - usually runs 15-16% P.
Needed it last year, but did not fork out money for tubs. Made them get by. they were thin for calving in Jan/Feb, but they survived.

Latest posts