Ford F350 rusted bed supports?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Anyone ever had the bed supports repaired on a F350?

These are some I found:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-926-988-member-Select-Trucks/dp/B07GNNVJ14/ref=pd_vtp_263_1/134-9053574-8948956?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07GNNVJ14&pd_rd_r=9f6a2c7e-a271-4577-95c3-0e8844529fc3&pd_rd_w=GZES5&pd_rd_wg=TGvGX&pf_rd_p=4c59963f-307a-4d53-b0f5-7922eec09cff&pf_rd_r=V02XGTSA1YY7Y8Z7231P&psc=1&refRID=V02XGTSA1YY7Y8Z7231P

Truck is a 2006 with only 65,000 miles so I really hate to get rid of it.

When I bought my truck guy before me did something similar except he was a metal worker and made them outta stainless. Worked good for awhile rest of bed ended up rusting out anyways and just bought a new southern bed anyways. For how much those are I'd just consider a new bed

Hardnosecattleco said:
When I bought my truck guy before me did something similar except he was a metal worker and made them outta stainless. Worked good for awhile rest of bed ended up rusting out anyways and just bought a new southern bed anyways. For how much those are I'd just consider a new bed
How much are the flatbeds running?

On mine it was just the ones over the wheel well and just to the frame basically. I took 4 big @ 1" nuts and washers til I got the spacing right and tightened it down. That was a temporary fix a few years ago until I put a flatbed on it, still going. Flatbed would probably be right around $2-2,500. Me personally I would do that before I put the time and money into new supports. One of these days I will actually get around to putting the one on mine.

There was an easy way to prevent that. Wash the salt off and use a garden spray about every couple years and coat under neath, you know what to use.

tom4018 said:
SBMF 2015 said:
Flat bedded it.
Thought about it, it is a single wheel. Wonder what one of those beds would cost?

All depends on how fancy you want. We flat bedded a dually. Just an 8' bed w/ a gooseneck ball was around $3,200. I think if we shopped around we could have found one cheaper.

A basic flatbed starts around 2k plus install here. You could probably find another decent used bed for half that, or less. They made a billion of those trucks, and lots of them get service/flat beds. There's a lot of used ones around.

If you can find a used one, you can save a bunch, but I've never seen a decent used one.

Atimm693 said:
A basic flatbed starts around 2k here.

I have just been looking online and saw some around $2500, really like the looks of the CM SK bed but it looks to be $4500 range.

tom4018 said:
Atimm693 said:

I have just been looking online and saw some around $2500, really like the looks of the CM SK bed but it looks to be $4500 range.

I've had several c-m beds and they are good quality. I recently replaced a bed on a truck that was wrecked. Cm was unavailable with long wait time (Kung Flu) we bought a bedrock. Very nice bed, was 2900.00 to 3600.00 for the comparable cm. Time will tell. That's on a dual wheel. Single wheel should be less. I know LTJ in lampasas has a (brand?) Sitting out front for 2000.00~

tom4018 said:
Atimm693 said:

There are some good looking aluminum beds on Ebay for 2099.

I have never had a flatbed. Drove a few for a day that belonged to a friend. Always had regular pickup. What are the pros and cons of a flatbed? Take into account it is a short bed single rear wheel. So from what I see online probably a 84" bed.

the cons is unless you have solid sides, people see (steal) what you have kinda easily, the pros are that you can load it from the side, it's way tougher, and gives you a lot more usable room

I built my own on my truck when the box started falling apart.. I used 3x3 square tubing for the main frame and notched it for 2x2 square tubing for the cross pieces, 3x3 angle iron around the edge, 3/4" plywood for the deck, retractable gooseneck ball... weighs less than the box, it's 8'9" long by 8' wide, deck height is the same as the box as well.. all things I found important.. I don't want to lift stuff higher than I absolutely need to! Headache rack is removable as well, though I've never needed to.

tom4018 said:
I have never had a flatbed. Drove a few for a day that belonged to a friend. Always had regular pickup. What are the pros and cons of a flatbed? Take into account it is a short bed single rear wheel. So from what I see online probably a 84" bed.

Tougher, easier to load pallets or big items, no wheel wells in the way, less likely to get damaged by a gooseneck trailer, the headache rack protects the cab and back glass from your payload, there are options for easily accessed storage, and they don't rust out nearly as badly.

They do have downsides, weight and cost primarily, but are just overall better if you're really using the truck to haul large and bulky payloads.

Another downside is that they are often a good bit taller than a normal box to clear the wheels.

Atimm693 said:
tom4018 said:

Tougher, easier to load pallets or big items, no wheel wells in the way, less likely to get damaged by a gooseneck trailer, the headache rack protects the cab and back glass from your payload, there are options for easily accessed storage, and they don't rust out nearly as badly.

They do have downsides, weight and cost primarily, but are just overall better if you're really using the truck to haul large and bulky payloads.

Another downside is that they are often a good bit taller than a normal box to clear the wheels.

The extra height concerns me some, it sits pretty high as it is. about 3 feet to the floor or the bed now.

tom4018 said:
Atimm693 said:
tom4018 said:

The extra height concerns me some, it sits pretty high as it is. about 3 feet to the floor or the bed now.
If the builder pays attention, it's not too hard to keep it at the same height, maybe an inch higher.
Wheelwells in newer truck beds are pointless, most of the trucks are so high the wheel can't get above the bed height to begin with, it's just that the truck would look stupid any other way

Latest posts