Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Help Support CattleToday:

jaydill

Reaction score
Now I know this is prolly gonna sound like an awfully funny question so don't laugh at me too bad! But would anyone happen to know the towing capacity of those little Ford Explorer Sport Tracs?

I'd guess it's 5000#. I know that the similar sized Ranger can be equipped to tow 5000#. A couple of friends have/now own Sport Tracs. I've driven them, including with a trailer with a cow calf pair at one point. Pulls surprisingly well. 22 mpg empty on highway. Both have been very pleased with the little trucks.

greenwillowherefords":4ve008av said:
I'd guess it's 5000#. I know that the similar sized Ranger can be equipped to tow 5000#. A couple of friends have/now own Sport Tracs. I've driven them, including with a trailer with a cow calf pair at one point. Pulls surprisingly well. 22 mpg empty on highway. Both have been very pleased with the little trucks.
Wow not bad. Thanks. :) Parents have been looking into getting one of those for me and was just wondering if they were capable of pulling a little weight.

Towing capacity depends on three factors: 1) which engine 2) which transmission 3) what rear axle gear ratio.
If looking at a new one, Ford dealer has a TRAILER TOWING GUIDE which can tell you to the lb. for vehicle you are looking at. If looking at a used one, first check glovebox for original window sticker. This would have this info, which you could match to Guide. If no sticker found, locate "AXLE CODE" on door plate, reference it to axle code table found in owners manual and again, go back to trailer tow guide.
Sorry to make this so complex, but that's the way to get it right for any individual Ford truck product.As a general guideline, Manual transmision with smallest engine is rated for the least towing weight, Auto trans and largest V6 gives maximun towing rating.

K-SHIRES":1qb81bfm said:
Towing capacity depends on three factors: 1) which engine 2) which transmission 3) what rear axle gear ratio.
If looking at a new one, Ford dealer has a TRAILER TOWING GUIDE which can tell you to the lb. for vehicle you are looking at. If looking at a used one, first check glovebox for original window sticker. This would have this info, which you could match to Guide. If no sticker found, locate "AXLE CODE" on door plate, reference it to axle code table found in owners manual and again, go back to trailer tow guide.
Sorry to make this so complex, but that's the way to get it right for any individual Ford truck product.As a general guideline, Manual transmision with smallest engine is rated for the least towing weight, Auto trans and largest V6 gives maximun towing rating.
Thank you for all of the information. I will make sure to check it out.

Latest posts